Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Tech School last days "full version"

The classes got harder as expected but Wednesday was the reality check for me. This is the day I realize how little I knew about the Spyder and that I had just jumped from Junior High School to College and I really needed to finish High School if any of this stuff was going to click with me, it was a very humbling and frustrating day.

One of the first things we did was to go though 2010 and 2011 schematics and compare the differences in the two years. This thing is huge and pretty much takes up the whole table.

I also found out to never sit on the front row unless you like your instructor to see how slow you really are at getting this stuff.

The rest of the day was pretty much trouble shooting but with little or no help from BUDS. We would flip one of the switches that made things go bad and would then have to figure out why by going through the schematics because BUDS wasn't telling us anything. About mid day I just checked out in my mind because I wasn't getting it and there was no faking my way through this one. I pretty much gave up at that point and knew I needed to go back to High School before I starting playing with the big boys.

Dave from the media group was going to here the next day to shoot some video of me going through the school and it couldn't have been a worst time for him to do that. If he could have been there on day one or day two he would have got some good shots of me working on the Spyder and pretty much knowing what I was doing, instead he got me walking around with my head in the clouds watching my clock and hoping for the day to be over.

Because Dave was going to be there they went ahead and handed out the cool tech shirts, certificates for completing the school and some cool hats. I didn't earn any of that so I didn't get any of that and that's cool, these guys had to know their stuff to successfully complete this class. I got a certificate of successfully attending the class and that's about all I felt I earned at that point.

After class I went over to Kurt's house and we changed out my cluster and reset the suspension and tore into the clutch to see how it was holding up after 30,000 miles.

I didn't get back to the hotel till around 11:30 and I was beat mentally and physically. It was one of those long days that couldn't end soon enough.

So the next day I have dealt with my obvious short comings and was ready to hit the class with a good attitude and to make the best of the day. I already figured out there was no point in taking the test seeing it would just confirm what I already knew and I wasn't going to get anything for it seeing that was already handed out the day before. It took a little pressure off of me knowing where I stood and what I needed to do if I really wanted to be a real Spyder tech and not just someone who played one in the movies. There is a lot I need to learn and these guys said they would help with getting the material needed to get me up to speed on the Spyder. I have a new found respect for the guys that work on these things and I really don't see how you could not take this class if you were making a living at this. I guess you could squeak by with your High School Spyder education but why stop there when there is so much more you could learn to be a better tech and to make your job easier and make your customer happy even if they did have a problem with their Spyder. I think we all would agree that we can deal with problems as long as they are fixed in a timely manner and are fixed right the first time.

The guys showing up for the last day in their new duds.

This is what real techs look like, not wannabe's like me.

Lots of photo ops.

Dave doing his video thing

Spyder Garage

Great, Lamont!

Could you please outline all the differences you are aware of between the 2010 and 2011 RT-S SE5?

Thanks!
    Ride safe and often!

[IMG]//C:/Users/Lenny/Downloads/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/IMG]

Spyder Garage

Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. I've been working with my company for 21 years now. And I'm always learning something. I get calls from guys asking for help with a problem. But the other day I was on the phone with one of our factory warranty techs for 3.5 hours trying to troublshoot one of our smallest, simplest, machines. We both came to the conclusion that this thing was more than snake bit. So, it's going back to the factory. If you really want to learn, it'll come to you. Sometimes it just takes time.

Cool looking shirts and hats are nice, but they don't make a good tech.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Great review Bro, I've been through the Sea-Doo and Ski-Doo schools 15 yrs ago and they were very difficult then too. Now with Technology advancements it has only gotten worse These techs are very underrated and I'm very glad you you shed a little light on the subject. They have a tough job, every work order is a delay in the customers enjoyment and far to many times the customer is far too impatient. Dealer principles need to acknowledge good techs, and make sure they are compensated fairly and educated to the highest standards.

Kurt is a great resource his product knowledge is remarkable and we are all very fortunate to have him on the Spyder side of things. His job is very difficult, Thankless, and stressful it takes a special person to do this and for that he will always have my respect.

As far as completing the first training class you ever attended, when the subject manner was very trade specific that would be hard for anyone. I'm personally pleased to know how challenging it was for you. It shows how serious BRP is on educating Techs.

The classes are tough the technology has advanced over my head, why do you think I went back to digging ditches for a living Bro

On the training and have a safe Ryde home

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good stuff, Lamont. What scares me is if you, with your previous knowledge of the Spyder, found it hard to get to the "college level", what training does the "Spyder Tech" at Joe's Spyder Shop have? Most "techs" never saw a Spyder until they off loaded the first one from the delivery truck and few actually own one.

My personal take is few have had the schooling you have just had. I wonder if BRP insures there is at least one trained tech in each dealership. I would bet a cold drink of your choice there is not at least one "college trained tech" in every dealership. I hope I am wrong.

Rant over. I like my RT better every day and am riding my GW trike less.

Last edited by Mr. White; 07-04-2011 at 04:10 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LennyO View Post
    Great, Lamont!

Could you please outline all the differences you are aware of between the 2010 and 2011 RT-S SE5?

Thanks!
    April fools???

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont! You know a whole lot more than I and you just gave me a greater appreciation for those techs who have a good knowledge of the .

I appreciate your candidness and your sharing the experience with us!

Ephesians 2:8-9

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    April fools???

Why? I am serious...
    Ride safe and often!

Spyder Garage

Default Wowzer

Thanks Lamont ... because of your dedication to your education about Spyders we here as Spyderlovers will totally benefit... for someone (ME) who balks at even reading the manual (let's see the last thing you do is read the manual...what??? read it first!!! OH)...when I read your post I said thank you Lord that I am truly ignorant about what makes my wonderful Spyder work....AND also made the decision to NOT ask my dealers tech if he got the shirt and cap....so far he is able to keep Ms Spyder happy and that makes me happy!!!! If I had the knowledge that he hadn't earned the shirt/cap my OCD would kick in and all of a sudden MsSpyder would have "problems" and I would stop running the wheels off of her!!!! So I will continue ryding in semi ignorant mode (before Spyderlovers helping me I was totally ignorant..now just semi!!!!) and LOVING IT!!!!!
    Again thanks, Lamont....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Then let's try "pop quiz"?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Then let's try "pop quiz"?
    C'mon!
    I did not mean it as a quiz! Maybe my initial request came out sounding as putting Lamont on the spot, but it was not meant that way...
    If you re-read it now (knowing that I am seeking info) it will read differently. Common problem with the written word...

I just want to know, because I've read that improvements were made for 2011 RT-S, but I can not find the detailed info on what exactly was changed.
    Some handling improvements perhaps, among other things I hope.
    That will help me decide on the purchase. That's all....

Maybe you can help out?

Anyone else????

Thanks!
    Last edited by LennyO; 07-04-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    Ride safe and often!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great look at spyder school.I have heard of BRP tech schools but have never had a look inside at what they do , Thanks. I do not mind paying hard earned money to have my fixed right the first time. The dealer who we bought our from when I asked about attending BRP tech school said that his techs have gone to spyder school and passed and go to refresh and course updates too he even told me that since he is a platinum dealership that his sales people have to go to product sales school and pass. Since he is a full line BRP dealer that all his techs go to school for all BRP products that he sells.
    He has a few young techs that eat and breath BRP products you can ask them a question about a recall and they know about it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this great Crash Course on why us old Chopper week end wrenches should not gasp after seeing our Maintence Bills from Dealers that work on our Spyders for us! I sure appreciate my 2012 RT Limited even more, after reading the 3 day Tech School Training! 47,000 miles and counting, with very little problems from such a sophisticated High Tech Machine. Throttle Body replacement at 12,700 miles was the only problem so far, other than normal Service. My Spyder still runs way to well to trade up. Once all the Bugs are fixed, why trade a debugged Spyder for a new one with unknown possible Bugs even in the newest Spyder? Especially when I read that there are many 998 V-Twins clocking 100,000 miles and still running fine! Mine isn't even half used up yet! But I do lust for a dood deal on a new F3 Red Spyder.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just realized this is a really, really old thread. I'm sure Lamont is much smarter now!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oh yeah....

I remember well the tech classes with Suzuki and Honda back in my days...felt the same much of the time. Thanks for the memories but how come you didn't rate a pretty fancy shirt... Well your work will be cut out for you now.....your gonna have to know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I just realized this is a really, really old thread. I'm sure Lamont is much smarter now!
    I'm sure Lamont has forgotten more about the Spyder than I will ever have knowledge of. That's why I tend to leave my maintenance to the experts like him
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

As I remember in factory schools I attended, often the factory folks learn from the students. In the shops one gets to see many things.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!