Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DPS recall?

Spyder Garage

Interesting news....and hopefully good news!

A redesigned DPS box would certainly explain the long timeframe for a more 'permanent' fix.

I will say that once my dealer finally ordered my DPS..... it came in the next day. Also says it's made in Canada.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting that information Scotty, and I also agree with you on not overwhelming the dealers with setting up appointments right away. I am going to give those who are having steering issues a good amount of time to get it resolved before I schedule an appointment for mine.

This is definitely good news for all of us though, and hopefully it will be the remedy that puts the steering issues to bed finally.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Interesting news....and hopefully good news!

A redesigned DPS box would certainly explain the long timeframe for a more 'permanent' fix.
    Most people have no idea how many hoops, red tape, delays and just plain governmental bureaucracy have to be overcome to get a design change of this nature approved for release.

This doesn't even take into account the R&D to figure out what was wrong in the first place, and more R&D to design a permanent fix so the formal process through governmental agencies could be started.

Though this has taken longer than anyone would have liked, I'm very sure BRP fast-tracked this as best they could.

I think those of us who hung in are about to be rewarded for our patience.

I may be a Fan-Boy and I know the cake isn't baked yet (though it sure is smelling good frome here). But my hat is off to BRP on this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Most people have no idea how many hoops, red tape, delays and just plain governmental bureaucracy have to be overcome to get a design change of this nature approved for release.

This doesn't even take into account the R&D to figure out what was wrong in the first place, and more R&D to design a permanent fix so the formal process through governmental agencies could be started.

Though this has taken longer than anyone would have liked, I'm very sure BRP fast-tracked this as best they could.

I may be a Fan-Boy and I know the cake isn't baked yet (though it sure is smelling good frome here). But my hat is off to BRP on this one.

Well stated. I am ready to eat the cake, and will drink the kool-aid as well on this one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Thanks for posting that information Scotty, and I also agree with you on not overwhelming the dealers with setting up appointments right away. I am going to give those who are having steering issues a good amount of time to get it resolved before I schedule an appointment for mine.

This is definitely good news for all of us though, and hopefully it will be the remedy that puts the steering issues to bed finally.
    Sure sounds good--- in the big picture of things!

I'll wait to have mine done--- no need to bury dealers with the work--- and I'd like to see how the 'new' units are working out for others first......

I'm happy with mine as it is right now with the new DPS......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    On August 26, 2010, BRP filed a Safety Defect Notification with the NHTSA. This involves all Spyder produced worldwide, through August 19, 2010...some 16,361 units. An excerpt from that notice is reproduced below.

BRP Intends to retrofit worldwide all CAN-AM SPYDER Roadsters manufactured August 19, 2010 with the next generation DPS system. In the United States BRP will notify all owners, including those that responded to the previous remedy notice, to return the vehicles to their dealers for further repair pursuant to Safety Recall No. 09-V162.

The remedy is, indeed, to replace the steering units with a redesigned, more robust unit. I'd suggest that you don't inundate your dealers. This will take considerable time. Even after the letters go out, parts will need to be acquired and service appointments scheduled. If you are having steering problems, you need to see your dealer ASAP, of course, but the rest of us need to wait until the dealers are prepared to handle this massive chore. Sorry Firefly, looks like there is yet another DPS in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Soon

This is AWESOME News!!!!
    Cheers from Newfoundland!
    Dean

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

1. Is it the "old" RT DPS?
    2. How many miles of ryding the new/redesign DPS have?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    1. Is it the "old" RT DPS?
    2. How many miles of ryding the new/redesign DPS have?
    It appears all Spyder produced until August 19, 2010 are included. That means the RTs, too, so it is not the "old" RT DPS.

I don't think any production Spyders have this unit, going by the dates and models included. Probably only a few prototype and test units. Testing could have been going on for a while, though.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Testing could have been going on for a while, though.
    The Lamonster test? Maybe THAT is why he is being so tight lipped.
    Last edited by Rando; 09-06-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

It appears all Spyder produced until August 19, 2010 are included. That means the RTs, too, so it is not the "old" RT DPS.

I don't think any production Spyders have this unit, going by the dates and models included. Probably only a few prototype and test units. Testing could have been going on for a while, though.
    Never looked at the RT under the hood or on paper--- did they have a different DPS?

I took pics of my new one--- but not the old one-- so I'm unsure if it looks any different. Sounds like Spyders rolling off the assembly line now have the new DPS--- but when do they make them?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by j45p3r View Post
    Looks like letters start going out after the 15th. Hopefully I can get mine in before the end of riding season so I can be all ready to roll come Spring.
    That sure sounds strange to me here in south Georgia.
    Our good riding season doesn’t start until fall and goes all through the winter. I just can’t imagine having to call it quits during this time. Guess we don’t have it so bad in the deep south...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

Well stated. I am ready to eat the cake, and will drink the kool-aid as well on this one.
    What ever way it comes is great news. My DPS is working fine so I'm in no big hurry. Knowing it's coming is good enough for me right now.

I'll let the problem Spyders get their fix and get mine when the line thins out a little.

This IS Really Good News though. I knew the boy's would come through for all of us.

Spyder Garage

What ever way it comes is great news. My DPS is working fine so I'm in no big hurry. Knowing it's coming is good enough for me right now.

This IS Really Good News though. I knew the boy's would come through for all of us.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phillipbj View Post
    That sure sounds strange to me here in south Georgia.
    Our good riding season doesn’t start until fall and goes all through the winter. I just can’t imagine having to call it quits during this time. Guess we don’t have it so bad in the deep south...
    My riding season will be done mid-November, but I'll be one of the last ones on the road and I'll have to wear my snowmobile gear, especially on the way to work in the morning. It's all good though, as fun as the Spyder is, it's nothing compared to the snowmobiles.

Spyder Garage

Called a few dealers plus the one I deal with and none have any knowledge of this as of yet. It is just mind blowing of the news we get and with the quickness from here. Its kewl when a dealer ask you to keep them informed because we get info before they do most of the time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    Called a few dealers plus the one I deal with and none have any knowledge of this as of yet. It is just mind blowing of the news we get and with the quickness from here. Its kewl when a dealer ask you to keep them informed because we get info before they do most of the time.
    When I made my appt. today to have the oil press. sw. replaced tomorrow, I mentioned that they will be busy in a few weeks working on spyders. I told him (the svce. mgr.) about the recall and he hadn't heard anything. I'll bring him a copy tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    In all fairness to dealers, realize that most of us are interested in only ONE product-- our Spyder--- so we want all the info we can get all the time-- whereas the dealer is dealing with tons of different products......

Spyder Garage

I overlooked that Firefly. They do have alot more than the Spyder to worry about, Hey, my dealer does a good job though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took myin for the 15k service today. My dealer received notice this morning about the recall. He said they will only get 5 units at a time. When the 5 new units are installed, he has to return the 5 old units before he can get 5 more new units.

I told him when he has one in hand and some spare time, let me know. He just laughed and said " yeah, I will make sure I do that."

He's a good guy who is not too happy about the 5 unit limit.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    I took myin for the 15k service today. My dealer received notice this morning about the recall. He said they will only get 5 units at a time. When the 5 new units are installed, he has to return the 5 old units before he can get 5 more new units.

I told him when he has one in hand and some spare time, let me know. He just laughed and said " yeah, I will make sure I do that."

He's a good guy who is not too happy about the 5 unit limit.
    The old units probably need to be returned so they can be rebuilt with the updated parts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    In all fairness to dealers, realize that most of us are interested in only ONE product-- our Spyder--- so we want all the info we can get all the time-- whereas the dealer is dealing with tons of different products......
    Very true, but gone are the days when an owner had to get all their information from the dealer. And the dealer could tell you anything and you had no way to know what was up.

With a forum like this we have a source for the information that is most important to us. Now we have a choice. We can still depend on our dealer, as before. Or, we can come here and get information that is up to date, and updated regularly.

More and more the dealers are looking to the owner for the latest info. And why not, it's our primary interest, as you said.

I much prefer this new method.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    The old units probably need to be returned so they can be rebuilt with the updated parts.
    You can have mine, I'll got yours...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Recalls

Whom ever first got this notice, thank you for posting it. My new to me Spyder is in fact on the list of recalled units. (quote) So on the 15th I go to the Greeville, SC PowerSports and get the upgraded software.
    Thanks again to all... Glenn

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Whom ever first got this notice, thank you for posting it. My new to me Spyder is in fact on the list of recalled units. (quote) So on the 15th I go to the Greeville, SC PowerSports and get the upgraded software.
    Thanks again to all... Glenn
    The software upgrade is only half the battle. The Dynamic Power Steering unit needs to be replaced as a result of this second recall. I hope your dealer is prepared to do either or both.