Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Taurus ---- 38 Special ----- Titanium ------ 2 inch barrel..

X-Joe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Training

I was wondering how many members that do carry are also a member of the NRA?

AND

How often do you practice?

As for me, I am a member of the NRA and an Instructor who does practice as well. I believe we do have a Constitutional Right to carry for self-defense but we also have an obligation as citizens to ensure we have both the knowledge and to skill to operate said firearms in a safe manner (i.e. no accidental discharging and hit what you're aiming at). I have carried for most of my military career on many a foreign soil while on "official government business". I find it ironic that the same government that trusted me to do so would then question my doing the exact same thing in my own country. Be Smart and Be Safe!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default My Conclusion:

This thread has been VERY informative for me. Thank you all very much!
    Here's what I'm walking away with from all this:

There is a risk of being assaulted while touring just as tbere's a risk in riding a motorcycle / Spyder. As an individual you need to understand the risk, then decide what - if anything you're going to do about the risk. Do you wear all the gear all the time (ATGATT), or just some of it, or none at all. You could NEVER be in a crash.

Do you carry a weapon "just in case" ? You could NEVER find yourself in a threatening situation.

It all gets down to this in my mind for BOTH examples: "Do you assume it will NEVER happen to you, or do you Plan for the worst, but hope for the best?".

Thanks again people ! this really did help.

Spyder Garage

I don,t feel the need to carry a gun in my community BUT I have a Ruger 22 rifle beside my bed with a banana clip so no one interupts me at home!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    This thread has been VERY informative for me. Thank you all very much!
    Here's what I'm walking away with from all this:

There is a risk of being assaulted while touring just as tbere's a risk in riding a motorcycle / Spyder. As an individual you need to understand the risk, then decide what - if anything you're going to do about the risk. Do you wear all the gear all the time (ATGATT), or just some of it, or none at all. You could NEVER be in a crash.

Do you carry a weapon "just in case" ? You could NEVER find yourself in a threatening situation.

It all gets down to this in my mind for BOTH examples: "Do you assume it will NEVER happen to you, or do you Plan for the worst, but hope for the best?".

Thanks again people ! this really did help.
    Yup-- personal decision for everyone to make--- just not something I spend time worrying about (being assaulted).

Besides--- If I carried on a trip it would be too tempting to cap some cager when he cuts me off...... ( J K )

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Choice!!

Choice is a very good thing...Len...

Spyder Garage

Sig SL230 or Glock 17 is what I carry. Glock 20 in a biometric safe in my night stand drawer and a fully loaded Benilli SP10 in the gun safe w/ 5 rds of 00 buck and 4 rds of slugs in the extended mag.

I live out in the sticks and it can take up to 40mins. on some nights for a cruiser to arrive.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Members here - well I think we have to renew pretty soon. We belong to the Sportsmen's Club where we work so we get to shoot for free. Dues are next to nothing.

Seems like we practice more in the winter than the summer. Too busy riding in the summer and totally bored in the winter.

We have a nice little Walther .22 that I won in the raffle for the Sportsmen's Club - we target shoot with that because the ammo is cheap. We still shoot with our guns but not constantly at the range because ammo is too costly for those. And it is very hard to find in the stores too! We were in Walmart and nobody was at the ammo counter - NOBODY. Nobody was around to help at all so I picked up the phone, hit Intercom and tried to page someone to come to the ammo counter. ya think someone would have, nope. Instead a nice lady in the auto service department helped us. Good prices in Wally World for ammo - when they have it in stock. Even the huge firearms store runs out of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post

AND

As for me, I am a member of the NRA and an Instructor who does practice as well. I believe we do have a Constitutional Right to carry for self-defense but we also have an obligation as citizens to ensure we have both the knowledge and to skill to operate said firearms in a safe manner (i.e. no accidental discharging and hit what you're aiming at). I have carried for most of my military career on many a foreign soil while on "official government business". I find it ironic that the same government that trusted me to do so would then question my doing the exact same thing in my own country. Be Smart and Be Safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjhht494 View Post
    FN five seven, 5.56mm handgun.
    You carry one of these TOO? I have about 1000 rds thru mine and have had over 30 pistols. The 5.7 is the BEST pistol I have ever owned, the PS90 I have is the best carbine and the FN FAL in .308 is the best freedom rifle made IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    You really have to be careful and know the laws of every state you ride through. Some will have you separate the clip and gun and lock in separate compartments (like trunk and glove box). I think there's a state map out there in them internets that shows the requirements for every state.

It is a personal choice like you said, I would not give the keys to my zx12 to someone who has not rode and said let'er buck. If you have to kill some ****head its final, no reset so its a serious choice you have to live with, some people do not have that moral flexablity that is needed, I worked with a cop that shot some kid with a knife in a legit shooting, ruined his life, could not handle it mentally, NO ONE knows how they will handle it until you do it. People sometimes do not look at both sides like this, I have a you choose to be a victim speech for the anti gun nuts (one of which is a female COP I work with)

I personally don't have any need to carry while on a trip... not to mention the second you shoot someone-- no matter what the circumstances--- your financial life is pretty much over. People will sue over anything these days.
    see above statment, like I said I agree with you its a choice everyone has to make.

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    In a word.... NO. The risk at anything we do is there regardless. Drunk Driving is rightfully illegal but it still happens. Their cars are not lit up with lights to tell us they are a drunk driver, just like armed less than friendly folks are not either.

So the way my wife and I see it is quite simple. We train, practice and carry. We do this for the same reason we choose to wear our seat belts or wear helmets. Because we can and and have the right to make that choice.

We have been in two situations on road trips that got a bit scary. One time we had been in a state that we had to separate the weapon form the magazine, and it could not be concealed (Not licensed in that state). It was clear the folks on the other end of this situation had weapons and used them as a "Scare" tactic. Thankfully an undercover officer happened by and they left. Basically we had a flat at about 11pm on a quiet road, and they wanted what we had. You cannot exactly say... "One moment please, I need to get my pistol before we proceed"... We had been in a bad situation.

Another time we had our pistols, and we witnessed an assault in progress. I approached the situation (I know dumb) and nutrilized both parties. I never drew, nor did anyone there know I was armed. The situation was not life threatening allowing my to draw the weapon and still be protected by our rights. Only after the officers arrived and had them in custidy did I let the officers know I was armed (IN other words once they had them in handcuffs, I handed them my license). Of course they put me in temporary custidy until they checked me out (Placed in a cruiser to sit).

The surprise on their face was clear. They have seen quite a few folks pull their weapons and getting in trouble. It was refreshing to have this not be the case in this situation. Made their job easier. In fact when they asked these two about it, they both denied I had any type of weapon.

It is not about being the "Big stick", to us it is about best protecting ourselves. For years I refused to carry (Heavy policy background and military family) Only until I got older and not as.... fast as the younger less matured folks did I feel the need to bend to my own refusal.

I was always worried I would loose my grip and arm the assailant. Or something like that. Or allow myself to go to a place that I would not go unarmed. In other words, putting myself in a position that I would not normally do. You know what I mean

Look at it this way. If it is dark. And your in the wrong area of town or road.. then yes. By golly I want to be armed. In nearly any other situation. No ... Not needed... Except for those you never know times...
    This is one of the best examples of what CC is about and the pros and cons, thanks dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    I carry the Glock 23 with .40 cal. Hydra Shok ammo and Kim, that would be my wife, carries the Ruger LCP .380 with Hydra Shoks as well.

Why?? We never leave home without them and they WILL get the job done should, God Forbid, we ever need them.

Someone asked earlier what are the risks when touring. That's sort of asking "How high is up"... It is difficult to impossible to quantify. If you read the paper, watch the news...etc... Then you should have a pretty good idea. There are a lot of bad people out there that would do you or yours extreme harm. If you leave home.. Be prepared.....If you stay home...be prepared as well and pray nothing ever happens.... IMHO.... Len

Was wondering what people carry and why.
    this is true, the wondering why was why you made the choice of what gun you ARE carrying. Live free or die style. I should have worded this different I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post

AND

I should shoot more, I shoot about once a month in the summer but twice a or whenever I get a new gun.

Before I started playing national events my mech infantry buddies used to train on your own because the guards would not pay for the live ammo trainning. So I have had buddies shoot over my head training and if you are good enough its no worries.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Bond Arms Snake Slayer:
    Why: Rattlesnakes in my yard!

Mad Matt

Spyder Garage

Ruger 9mm when ever I travel...
    Full Moon #1176

Talon Alarm
    Trunk Spring
    Power Bus
    H.I.D. Headlights
    Kuryakyn ISO Grips
    NMN Highway Brackets
    Kuryakan Highway Pegs
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust
    BRP Sports Rack & Back Rest
    LED Fender Tips
    Ride-On
    BRP Tank Bag
    H.I.D. Fog Lights
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    GlowRyder L.E.D. W/Remote
    TricLed Fender Lights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glock 31C .357 SIG
    With the new Arizona gun law coming into affect end of month (carry concealed without permit) there are gonna be a lot of people who THINK they know how to handle a gun and may want my new Spyder toy. But then again, my Lo Jack system will help me out.
    We also have to protect ourselves here with the drug cartels overflowing their crimes into our cities! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

A little off the subject... has anyone seen or handled a Chiappa Rhino? 357 with the barrel lined up on the bottom of the cylinder.

john
    Last edited by retread; 07-20-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    A little off the subject... has anyone seen or handled a Chiappa Rhino? 357 with the barrel lined up on the bottom of the cylinder.

john
    Just a minute ago. Weird.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Member of the NRA and past member of the US Army Combat Pistol shooting rack (unmodified) .45 caliber 1911A colts

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hubby is a member of the NRA, we go to the range when it's not stifling hot out. The better range is outdoors, so it is too hot out to go right now. We do have a small indoor range which is okay to use when you're bored and can't find anything to do, so we go to the range.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Walther PPKS I hope I never have to use it, but this thread got me to thinking. I have 3 daughters and I tell them all the time be aware of strangers approaching you in parking lots day or night. Thinking about it. How many strangers have approached you, when you have been out on your spyder. Do you know the intent of each and every person? I've had some very "interesting" people questioned me about mine. So far most are just curious and friendly. But as spyder owners we are used to the attention we get. I can honestly say I've talked with strangers when out on the spyder that I probably wouldn't have had I been driving my truck. So I unintentionally have let my guard down. The very thing I've told my daughters not to do.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sig 238 in 380. Not a lot of punch, but fits perfectly in the pocket of the trunk cover and is easy to drop in a pocket without fear of "printing"

3WD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My tow behind instead of a BRP trailer. Must edit to see picture.

Last edited by grumpybob; 07-22-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt John View Post
    Walther PPKS I hope I never have to use it, but this thread got me to thinking. I have 3 daughters and I tell them all the time be aware of strangers approaching you in parking lots day or night. Thinking about it. How many strangers have approached you, when you have been out on your spyder. Do you know the intent of each and every person? I've had some very "interesting" people questioned me about mine. So far most are just curious and friendly. But as spyder owners we are used to the attention we get. I can honestly say I've talked with strangers when out on the spyder that I probably wouldn't have had I been driving my truck. So I unintentionally have let my guard down. The very thing I've told my daughters not to do.

Good advice for daughters, but the Spyder is such an attention getter - you just can't keep 'strangers' from approaching you. All of us out here were 'strangers' at one time.....

Certainly being aware of your surroundings and using common sense should always be practiced, but things are really pretty safe out there.... crime has continued to drop in the US since the 1950's--- every decade has had less crime than the previous. In general, people are pretty honest and trustworthy.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

well, since I can't carry at work, and I was working in a bad neighborhood, I bought myself a tazer. It has a flashlight, laser sight, cartridge as well as the prongs. I even have a case that clips onto the belt. It looks like a cell phone holder. No one knows I wear it and since I don't need a conceal permit, although I have one, it's not considered a weapon. That keeps my hubby with peace of mind.

Joyce

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwhatman View Post
    well, since I can't carry at work, and I was working in a bad neighborhood, I bought myself a tazer. It has a flashlight, laser sight, cartridge as well as the prongs. I even have a case that clips onto the belt. It looks like a cell phone holder. No one knows I wear it and since I don't need a conceal permit, although I have one, it's not considered a weapon. That keeps my hubby with peace of mind.

Joyce
    Wow--- lucky you--- those aren't legal in Michigan. Is it just a stun-gun, or an actual Taser that can shoot from like 30 feet away?

I always thought those would be a great thing to have...

Here's a great video of one in action.... cracks me up.

Spyder Garage

Mostly a Walther PPS in .40S&W
    Very thin, lightweight, and comfortable to carry full-time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Wow--- lucky you--- those aren't legal in Michigan. Is it just a stun-gun, or an actual Taser that can shoot from like 30 feet away?

I always thought those would be a great thing to have...

Here's a great video of one in action.... cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb_TyNv5-bY
    Schweet! I want a taser gun now!!!! Practice on my younger brother with it.