Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default what do you carry for concealed to carry?

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...01&mid=FNM0129

Was wondering what people carry and why.

I have carried this with a custom setup holster for 2 months and love it, the previous was a Taurus T85 alloy .38, which was only 5 oz's lighter, had 5 shots and was hard to reload so the FN 5/7 is a huge step, the most accurate handgun I have EVER shot, does everything well.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

S&W 38 spl Airweight 2" barrel. and easy to use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Until last week it was a Sig 239 40cal... Then I tried the Glock 27... Traded my Sig yesterday for a FNP-9 to use for plinking I like the Glock so much!!! This was my first ever true attempt at a Glock BTW... Never liked the look. But the 27 disappears in my particular holster... (Link) And was the best shooting pistol I have ever owned out of the box... I just knew I had to have it... Ran 300 rounds through it and the Sig the same day before I decided on what to do... I was consistently more accurate with the Glock 27... Both have Night sights BTW...

Wife carries the S&W 442 .38 +P Airweight....
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 07-19-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Usually a Glock, w/LaserMax, but now looking at the Springfield XD-M (40) with the short barrel for conceal carry. Difficult to find one that feels right with my big hands. Anyone have the XD-M in .40 cal?

Spyder Garage

Smith - model 340PD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious: The boss and I have never done any serious touring, but now that we have the RT, we plan to rectify that situation. Intuitively I'm thinking that carrying a handgun would be a good thing, but have no idea of the REAL risk involved in touring. Have any of you actually had to show it or actually use it as you travel around?

Spyder Garage

None right now, just renewed my CCW, looking at a Taurus Public Defender and a Springfield XD-m .40 with a 3 inch barrel, even though some friends of mine are stuck on the .45 version.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    I'm curious: The boss and I have never done any serious touring, but now that we have the RT, we plan to rectify that situation. Intuitively I'm thinking that carrying a handgun would be a good thing, but have no idea of the REAL risk involved in touring. Have any of you actually had to show it or actually use it as you travel around?
    You really have to be careful and know the laws of every state you ride through. Some will have you separate the clip and gun and lock in separate compartments (like trunk and glove box). I think there's a state map out there in them internets that shows the requirements for every state.

I personally don't have any need to carry while on a trip... not to mention the second you shoot someone-- no matter what the circumstances--- your financial life is pretty much over. People will sue over anything these days.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    You really have to be careful and know the laws of every state you ride through. Some will have you separate the clip and gun and lock in separate compartments (like trunk and glove box). I think there's a state map out there in them internets that shows the requirements for every state.

I personally don't have any need to carry while on a trip... not to mention the second you shoot someone-- no matter what the circumstances--- your financial life is pretty much over. People will sue over anything these days.
    The Supreme Court is defining what the 2nd Amendment means by overruling (slowly) states that made owning a gun illegal.
    IF you have a conceal carry permit than you are legally allowed to have and carry a loaded firearm in accordance with your states laws. Most states have a reciprocity law that recognizes another states conceal carry license....BUT not all do so do your homework.

As far as needing a firearm, better to not ever need it then to need it and not have it! I would rather protect myself and my love ones from a "life threatening" situation then not be able to. I would feel even MORE of a victim if I was helpless (I choose to make THEM the "victim" if they are a threat to me or my love ones). But if you do choose to own and carry then make sure you have been trained to use and clean it by someone who actually does firearm instructing (ie: NRA Instructor).

Either way, it is an individual choice. I will add that this food for thought, an unarmed person is a "Subject" while an armed one is a "Citizen". The only thing that keeps a government in check from becoming totally corrupt is the fear of its people to make civil war against it and taking back their government from its corrupt officials (didn't we do exactly this with England???)....IMHO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    What good are personal finances, if you are the victim?

...I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6...

Think I'll protect myself and those close to me, and worry about lawsuits later.....

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Kel-Tec .32 - very small - perfect for someone my size. The .38 HDX mentioned was mine also but I don't carry it since I have the Kel-Tec now. .38 is a nice gun but I cannot holster it correctly without it sticking out from underneath a jacket. Kel-Tec fits better. But if I ever get into the shoulder holster deal which I've thought of, I might take it back so I can carry two.

Or I'd rather trade it for a 9mm

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Think I'll protect myself and those close to me, and worry about lawsuits later.....
    If anyone really disagrees with this, go ask your love ones what THEY would prefer..... you becoming "worm dirt" or "alive" to live another day?

But I guess that question is relevant based upon ones "life insurance policy" and if your premiums are up to date!

Spyder Garage

Here's some good info if you're going state to state:

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

Like I said-- it's my PERSONAL choice not to carry on trips. To each his own.

I've never run into a situation that would require the use of deadly force... and doubt I ever will. Of all the people I personally know who carry--- never heard a single one that had to use it... ever.

Just a good idea to be well informed when ryding from state to state. Gun restrictions have been lowered quite a bit lately--- especially during the past year.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Kimber ultra covert 45 with crimson trace grips and FNH 5.7 for a backup. The 20mm is just too long for a shoulder holster

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post

In a word.... NO. The risk at anything we do is there regardless. Drunk Driving is rightfully illegal but it still happens. Their cars are not lit up with lights to tell us they are a drunk driver, just like armed less than friendly folks are not either.

So the way my wife and I see it is quite simple. We train, practice and carry. We do this for the same reason we choose to wear our seat belts or wear helmets. Because we can and and have the right to make that choice.

We have been in two situations on road trips that got a bit scary. One time we had been in a state that we had to separate the weapon form the magazine, and it could not be concealed (Not licensed in that state). It was clear the folks on the other end of this situation had weapons and used them as a "Scare" tactic. Thankfully an undercover officer happened by and they left. Basically we had a flat at about 11pm on a quiet road, and they wanted what we had. You cannot exactly say... "One moment please, I need to get my pistol before we proceed"... We had been in a bad situation.

Another time we had our pistols, and we witnessed an assault in progress. I approached the situation (I know dumb) and nutrilized both parties. I never drew, nor did anyone there know I was armed. The situation was not life threatening allowing my to draw the weapon and still be protected by our rights. Only after the officers arrived and had them in custidy did I let the officers know I was armed (IN other words once they had them in handcuffs, I handed them my license). Of course they put me in temporary custidy until they checked me out (Placed in a cruiser to sit).

The surprise on their face was clear. They have seen quite a few folks pull their weapons and getting in trouble. It was refreshing to have this not be the case in this situation. Made their job easier. In fact when they asked these two about it, they both denied I had any type of weapon.

It is not about being the "Big stick", to us it is about best protecting ourselves. For years I refused to carry (Heavy policy background and military family) Only until I got older and not as.... fast as the younger less matured folks did I feel the need to bend to my own refusal.

I was always worried I would loose my grip and arm the assailant. Or something like that. Or allow myself to go to a place that I would not go unarmed. In other words, putting myself in a position that I would not normally do. You know what I mean

Look at it this way. If it is dark. And your in the wrong area of town or road.. then yes. By golly I want to be armed. In nearly any other situation. No ... Not needed... Except for those you never know times...
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 07-19-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 50 cal, fore and aft

is what I would prefer. Truth be told, any person that truly means you harm is either joined by others &/or carries more firepower than a Police Officer. Size does not matter if you can't put a shot where it needs to go under the stress of the situation that warrants deadly force. Sure hope you never have to find out?

Ride safe

Spyder Garage

Nothing yet, even though I have a CHL. Nothing I have is small enough to conceal and my next pistol will be a Baretta M9 (92FS).

For carry, I'm considering a small M1911, either a Kimber Ultra Carry II or a Springfield Armory GI .45 with 3" barrel.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

PE-1294
    Spyder Garage

What good are personal finances, if you are the victim?

I carry a 9mm Beretta and a Kel-Tec 32 auto. I have a shoulder holster for the 9 and the 32 fits right in my pocket

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I usually carry a walther ppk .380, I also have a stayr 9, which I love. Hubby got that for me for xmas. He carries a keltec as well, it's a great conceal gun. I grew up with guns, considering Dad was a NYS trooper, but we always were taught respect for them. My sister doesn't understand why I carry as well as the rest of my family. That's her choice.I love going to the range with both hubby and my parents. It's a bonding experience. Usually we take the bikes and go for a ride afterwards. One of the best dates hubby and I would have would be going to the shooting range, then to a little mom and popo italian restaurant, where we would compare notes.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Kimber pro carry when it is cool outside. summer a sig. p238 and a colt mustang for the wife.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think there's a state map out there in them internets that shows the requirements for every state.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Baretta .380...

Fits in my back pocket

Spyder Garage

Default Concealed Carry for us...

I carry the Glock 23 with .40 cal. Hydra Shok ammo and Kim, that would be my wife, carries the Ruger LCP .380 with Hydra Shoks as well.

Why?? We never leave home without them and they WILL get the job done should, God Forbid, we ever need them.

Someone asked earlier what are the risks when touring. That's sort of asking "How high is up"... It is difficult to impossible to quantify. If you read the paper, watch the news...etc... Then you should have a pretty good idea. There are a lot of bad people out there that would do you or yours extreme harm. If you leave home.. Be prepared.....If you stay home...be prepared as well and pray nothing ever happens.... IMHO.... Len

Was wondering what people carry and why.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Kel-Tec 380 with Crimson Trace Laser.