Spyder Garage

Question Advice Needed on Grips

I have stuck with the stock grips as long as I could stand it. Seems like the ribbed stock grips are eating my hands. Anyways I have looked at the "custom" grips from BRP and Kuryakyn ISO. I would like some feedback on both if possible. I know there are many with the ISO grips, hopefully some with the BRPs. I dont have any chrome other than the 6spoke wheels and worried that the ISOs would stick out(shiny chrome)..Opinion on looks and functionality please.....Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think you can make almost any grip made for 7/8" bars work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSG Bean View Post
    I think you can make almost any grip made for 7/8" bars work.
    Thanks Bean, I knew it needed to be 7/8 just didn't know how comfort level stood up between the 2 before I ordered. The BRP ones are cheaper$ but are they really cheap as they look and no better than stock.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tjfischer View Post
    Very interesting!...I don't get the numbness like I hear others having. Those definately look comfortable.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There's a thread here somewhere, where someone painted the chrome on the ISOs black - looked sweet. I have ISOs on all my bikes, wouldn't use anything else...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Went with these

They're similar to Grip Puppies but closed cell foam instead of open, so they don't hold water.

They look like... a sponge But they feel like one too!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    There's a thread here somewhere, where someone painted the chrome on the ISOs black - looked sweet. I have ISOs on all my bikes, wouldn't use anything else...
    I thought you could order those from KewlMetal, they black powdercoat the metal parts on the ISO grips. I can't find them now in their store. Maybe it wasn't them who offered the blacked out ISO grips.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I thought you could order those from KewlMetal, they black powdercoat the metal parts on the ISO grips. I can't find them now in their store. Maybe it wasn't them who offered the blacked out ISO grips.
    I think you have to call Matt and request KM to powdercoat them. I thought he charged an extra $15

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use ISO grips on all my bikes.Chrome looks ok but black or any color powder coated would be nice.

Spyder Garage

Now thats what I was wanting to hear. I will check on that and see if they will powdercoat them black. That should look sweet. Thanks guys for suggesting it, thought chrome was my only option. I have to say the ISO look the most comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Went with these

They're similar to Grip Puppies but closed cell foam instead of open, so they don't hold water.

They look like... a sponge But they feel like one too!
    I have the same grip covers and they improve the feel of the stock grips a lot. A cheap solution.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Grips

I went with the Can Am Upgrade Grips with the Can Am Billet inserts. Then I added a set of Grip Puppies over the grips. Hand comfort has been much improved.

'09 SE5/trunkliner/tank bag, CalSci Windshield, Upgrade Grip w/ billet inserts & Grip Puppies/Can AM Custom Seat/Yoshimura Exhaust.

More add-ons to come.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default try relaxing

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    I have stuck with the stock grips as long as I could stand it. Seems like the ribbed stock grips are eating my hands. ..... Thanks in advance for any opinions.
    Shane, new grips are fine - BUT, if the stock grips are "eating your hands" or if after riding for about a half hour they leave imprints on your hands that don't go away after 5 minutes - you are gripping too hard. This is especially apparent if you are riding without gloves. If you usually wear gloves and feel up to it, try a ride without them and see how your hands look after a short ride.

Your throttle hand should show more "tread" and show it for a little longer. Of course, everyone has different muscle tone and circulation, so it is up to each rider to evaluate their grip. Also, some rides and road conditions do require a strong grip - but in general, I think most riders are overdoing it. It is an easy habit to get into.

New grips will make a difference, but keep in mind, if you are gripping the handlebars too hard, the problem will probably still be there - and it will most likely move up to your wrists, elbows, shoulders and back over time.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Shane, new grips are fine - BUT, if the stock grips are "eating your hands" or if after riding for about a half hour they leave imprints on your hands that don't go away after 5 minutes - you are gripping too hard. This is especially apparent if you are riding without gloves. If you usually wear gloves and feel up to it, try a ride without them and see how your hands look after a short ride.

Your throttle hand should show more "tread" and show it for a little longer. Of course, everyone has different muscle tone and circulation, so it is up to each rider to evaluate their grip. Also, some rides and road conditions do require a strong grip - but in general, I think most riders are overdoing it. It is an easy habit to get into.

New grips will make a difference, but keep in mind, if you are gripping the handlebars too hard, the problem will probably still be there - and it will most likely move up to your wrists, elbows, shoulders and back over time.

Tom
    I always ride without gloves, never cared for them unless its real cold out. I thought maybe I was gripping too hard, which I was back when I first started riding the spyder. Learned a long time ago not to do that, wind travels through my body into the steering, not fun. I have a print after riding on my throttle hand but it takes no where near 5 mins to go away. Grips were one thing BRP went cheap on, IMO. They are more like a cheap bicycle grip.