Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing Air Dam Experience

I installed the Missing Air Dam I ordered and I had the exact opposite experience that everyone else is having. I live in Arizona and spent all afternoon installing Highway Brackets from Kewl Metal and installed the Missing Air Dam while I had all the panels off. I finished everything around 8pm and took it for a spin. Keep in mind that it is 80 degrees at this time, not 110. I got on the Interstate and ran about 80mph and I stayed at four bars. During the day in 100 heat, without the MAD, I can get down to three. Then I exited the Interstate and was held up at a stop light for a couple of minutes and I went to 5 bars and stayed at 5. Then the light turned green and I cruised 45mph and it took more than a couple miles to bring it back down to 4 bars. Got home and pulled in the garage and went back up to 5 bars. The fan kicked on and I let it run for a few minutes and I could not get down below 5 bars. During idle, in the middle of the day, in 100 degree heat, my fan will kick on and my temp will go down to 4 bars very quickly. With the DAM it couldn't get below 5. Anyway, that's my experience. I'm glad it's working for everyone else. Leave it to me to be the first one with and adverse experience.
    Last edited by Odie; 05-26-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

I had a simular experience. I rode down the inter-state about 70 mph and the temp was at 3 bars but as soon as you slow down it will go to 4 bars and when you stop 5 bars now if i get back on the highway it will go back down to three bars but it takes a little time.

Roger

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm trying to understand this, Dead of winter [10f] i run 3 bars, Summer[80/90f] 3 bars, Stopped at a light 4 bars, Long light 4/5 bars, fan turns on at 5 bars.
    Any speed over 35 mph 3 bars summer/winter,That's what a properly working thermostat is supposed to do,Keep it at 3 bars at off idle.
    Now if i use the Air dam, According to most reports I'll drop 1 to 2 bars if i use the air dam, So in the winter I'll be at 1 bar, summer 2 bars [at off idle]
    Can't happen, at lease on mine, The thermostat won't let that happen.
    Just my findings, [No new rope please.]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Air dam

I'm with you Odie. Put them on and my Spyder is doing exactly like yours. As soon as you stop in traffic 5 bars. Tested them out yesterday again and the temp. on the bike was 93, real temp. 86. Took bike out and checked my fan, it kicked on at 4 bars. Rode for about 1 1/2 and it was at 4 bars most of the time. Maybe that's the best it's going to get. Maybe humidity has a little play in this equation. Oh well gave it a shot and it is what it is. For $25.00 no lose. Safe ryding

Spyder Garage

I don't believe the Air Dam unit is meant to help while you're stopped..... only when moving.... that's what the fan is for.

When moving, you should see the temp lower than before---- I see 1 bar lower on average--- but when stopped it's just like before.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

From the product website:

"You can expect a lower coolant temperature by a reduction of two bars at speed. This reduction varies depending on your driving habits, ambient temperature and custom tuning."

I believe that BRP now sells an upgraded, more powerful radiator fan.
    Last edited by Rando; 05-26-2010 at 09:11 AM.

BillGargan

I cannot help but wonder . . .

Is it possible that -- when not moving, the new air dam adds insulation and thereby restricts the ability of the radiator reservoir to lose some of it's heat by natural radiation?

This addition will clearly force air over the radiator fins AT SPEED -- which should have a noticeable reduction in heat retention.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I installed the air damn last week and at cruising speed and air temp at 82 deg. and lower I am at 3 bars.82 deg. is as hot as it has been since install,but will go up to 4 or 5 bars at a stop just like it always did.It looks like the real test will come in the next couple of days if it gets near 90 deg.

Spyder Garage

well did the install this morning... stupid simple.... so I took her out for a test ride it is a cool 77 degrees today in Bakersfield and while cruising around town it stayed at 5 bars and while on the highway it dropped down to a cool 4 bars. So far im not impressed it is running 1 bar higher than normal....

Diggittt
    Full Moon #1176

Talon Alarm
    Trunk Spring
    Power Bus
    H.I.D. Headlights
    Kuryakyn ISO Grips
    NMN Highway Brackets
    Kuryakan Highway Pegs
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust
    BRP Sports Rack & Back Rest
    LED Fender Tips
    Ride-On
    BRP Tank Bag
    H.I.D. Fog Lights
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    GlowRyder L.E.D. W/Remote
    TricLed Fender Lights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine reduced by i would say a bar while moving. i wondered myself about applying foam to the radiator if this would "insulate" it. i havent noticed much of a difference around town. I can see that it may increase the effectiveness of the fan by drawing more air from one side of the radiator and throuh it, but again I havent noticed a difference in town. I have not noticed an increase though as you guys are reporting. At speed above 40 mph noticeable difference. If you ride in town a lot this mod might not be "necessary" for you. If you travel on the highway it makes sense to me and in my opinion it works
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I had a simular experience. I rode down the inter-state about 70 mph and the temp was at 3 bars but as soon as you slow down it will go to 4 bars and when you stop 5 bars now if i get back on the highway it will go back down to three bars but it takes a little time.
    I reported two weeks ago the same experience on this forum. I thought I was sooo alooone.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Interesting about the isolation and increased (more then normal) heat at a stop.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Interesting about the isolation and increased (more then normal) heat at a stop.

I understand it should get warmer when you are stopped but by leaving the dam off, the cool air goes around the radiator and i'am sure this has to help keep the bike cooler also i guess what i'am trying to say is what damage is happening thats a big jump i think to go from 3 bars to five bars in about a minute. also by not having it you ride around on 4 0r 5 bars and don't have that big spike in temperature. Please don't be offended the air dam does do what it says it will do no argument their. And does anybody notice the hot air on their leg from this i really though i burned my leg.

Roger

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I understand it should get warmer when you are stopped but by leaving the dam off, the cool air goes around the radiator and i'am sure this has to help keep the bike cooler also i guess what i'am trying to say is what damage is happening thats a big jump i think to go from 3 bars to five bars in about a minute. also by not having it you ride around on 4 0r 5 bars and don't have that big spike in temperature. Please don't be offended the air dam does do what it says it will do no argument their. And does anybody notice the hot air on their leg from this i really though i burned my leg.
    I would think you would want the cool air to go through the radiator not around it. the surface area of the fins is much more effective than the side of the thing at cooling. When at a stop the fan pulls the air through it. The dam may prevent cooler air being pulled from the back side of the radiator and force warmer air from in front of the raditor (since that is where the engine is) through casuing warmer temps but that has not been my experience. It seems to me the dam should increase the effientcy of the fan but I couldn't prove that either. Thats really the only way I could see this being the reason for the bike runngin warmer than it normally would by using the dam or because of an insulating effect weve already discussed. As for heat on your foot I still have stock pegs and dont notice any change there. Sometimes for me it depends on which way the wind is blowing. If the wind is blowing right to left as you sit on the bike sometimes the hot air from the cowling seems to "blow" back onto my leg worse than when there is no wind. I have never been burned but if I had floorboards I could see it being a potential issue.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

If the air dam was doing what it was designed to do and it does then the fan should not come on at all. Now if i ride without the air dam yes the bike runs warmer but the fan does not kick on because the temp is more consistant. As with if i leave the air dam on yes at high speed more air gets in the radiator and cools it down but when you get in town driving the temp goes back up to 4 or 5 bars then the fan kicks on. So which is better for the bike i really can't say. Maybe remove the air dam and run a switch to the fan or leave the air dam on and still run a switch?

Roger

Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

Rode home from work yesterday and ambient air temp was 89-91 deg.At cruising speeds had 3 bars showing so I believe the air dam is doing what it was intended to do.As you can see from Lamonsters' post these engines are not running too hot.My concern is not damage to the engine from heat but problems with all the electronics housed inside the tupperware.Imagine the heat build-up on a hot day after riding for awhile then parking in the hot sun.We have had problems with our cnc machine controllers in our shop on real hot days when the boss was too tight to turn the AC on.Several weeks ago after riding in 90 deg. + temps stopped for lunch and when we went to leave the air temp on the Spyder read 101 deg.Started it up went 1 block and the check engine light came on.Pulled over shut Spyder off and scratched my head (wtf).Waited a couple minutes started it back up,no message and been riding error free since.

Spyder Garage

If the air dam was doing what it was designed to do and it does then the fan should not come on at all. Now if i ride without the air dam yes the bike runs warmer but the fan does not kick on because the temp is more consistant. As with if i leave the air dam on yes at high speed more air gets in the radiator and cools it down but when you get in town driving the temp goes back up to 4 or 5 bars then the fan kicks on. So which is better for the bike i really can't say. Maybe remove the air dam and run a switch to the fan or leave the air dam on and still run a switch?
    The faster you go (To a Point) the better the MAD works. So your engine is running cooler on the country roads and highways and thats worth the price of admission to me!!
    In town its always going to get hot and the more you sit the hotter it gets.
    To me the key to enjoying every aspect of the Spyder is to AVOID congested routes as much as possible.
    I,m totally happy with the MAD!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

All the experiences are going to be different. I don't have fancy gauges but I do see the bar indicator. All I can say is that city or highway driving my temperature is more with the MAD. I showed less bars in stop and go, or interstate driving, without the MAD. Less bars mean less hot. I'm not knocking the product. If it's working for you than that is awesome! I live in hot Arizona and I remember someone posting the experience they've had with the MAD in the desert. I think I'm better off without it. Just my honest opinion.

Spyder Garage

I'am happy with it. I was just searching other peoples experience with it.

Roger

Spyder Garage

I honestly don't think the MAD does anything while you are stopped, or even driving slowly. When you are stopped, the Spyder is getting no real air flow through the radiator until it reaches 5 bars and the fan kicks on. At that point it is sucking in the air around the engine, and straight off the heated road surface so the cooling effect is minimal. Once you start moving again, cooler air gets forced through the radiator and the temp bars will eventually drop. Sometimes they drop a lot faster than other times, depending on traffic conditions and such.

As Lamont posted, 5 bars cannot really be considered hot for an engine anyway.

As for the heat on your leg and foot, much of that comes from sitting right behind the engine and exhaust pipes. However, I think it was Tom in NM who posted how to use some pipe insulation to block the gap where the hot air can be blown directly onto your foot. This may be another thing to look into for ryding comfort. Another helpful option may also be exhaust wraps.

As with anything your mileage will vary, but here is what I have noticed so far with the MAD installed at highway speeds. 70-89 degrees mine runs at 3 bars, 90-100 it runs at 4 bars. It has gotten close, but has not gone over 100 yet for a test here.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default there are lots of factors . . . .

. . . . to consider.

The other day I was riding down this nice road around 50-55mph, temp showing on the dash was in the low 90s. I glance down at the dash and I have 5 bars!?! I don't have the air dam, yet. I speed up and for a minute, it goes to six bars?!!!?, then drops back to five bars.

I turned around and suddenly it drops to three bars. The issue was I was riding with a 35/40 mph wind to my back. The engine was burning fuel and making heat, but there was probably only 10 mph of wind going through the radiator - until I turned around. [ this is not the first time I have noticed we don't have a "duhhhh" Smilie - one would fit here perfectly ]

Living in the high desert (high altitude & temps + low humidity) and riding in the summer, 5 bars can be a fact of life, and as Lamont's gauge shows, 5 bars looks to be just fine.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . to consider.

The other day I was riding down this nice road around 50-55mph, temp showing on the dash was in the low 90s. I glance down at the dash and I have 5 bars!?! I don't have the air dam, yet. I speed up and for a minute, it goes to six bars?!!!?, then drops back to five bars.

I turned around and suddenly it drops to three bars. The issue was I was riding with a 35/40 mph wind to my back. The engine was burning fuel and making heat, but there was probably only 10 mph of wind going through the radiator - until I turned around. [ this is not the first time I have noticed we don't have a "duhhhh" Smilie - one would fit here perfectly ]

Living in the high desert (high altitude & temps + low humidity) and riding in the summer, 5 bars can be a fact of life, and as Lamont's gauge shows, 5 bars looks to be just fine.

Tom
    Very good points there as well.

I have often felt the need for a Duh smiley!
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    ...I have often felt the need for a Duh smiley!
    Here you go:
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Here you go:
    Nice of you to share your baby picture.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.