Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are 2020+ Trailer Hitches longer than older models? If so, how much?

I was informed today that the 2020 and newer Spyders use a longer hitch than older models. Just wondering if anyone knows how much longer the newer one is?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2023 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2022 Spyder RTL Marsala Red Chrome

Spyder Garage

Sorry only heard of rear axle maybe hollow or some maybe not. Good question though will be keeping eye out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:29 AM. Reason: axel... ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

When I ordered my 2022 I asked Pierre at CanAmSpyderAccessories if I could transfer my hitch from my 2014 and he said no, the new ones are a bit longer. But I do not know how different.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

I moved the hitch from my 2016 F3L to my 2020 RTL and it works great. My hitch isn’t OEM but that does not matter.

I guess you are asking if pre-2020 RTL hitches will transfer to 2020+ .
    Last edited by al0vely; 07-18-2023 at 05:14 AM.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I put one from a older Spyder onto my 2020 RTL with no problems. The wiring harness won't work but the hitch will.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here’s a thread with useful info.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...is-information
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-18-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP hitch from my 2012 and installed it on my 2022. Fits just fine except the ball contacts my license plate when the suspension travels up. I have adjusted the air bag control valve for more air pressure but it still hits the license plate.

Pierre @Canam Spyder Accessories told me the 2020 and up RT’s need a longer hitch to mitigate this issue but I see on that website the aftermarket hitch fits them all. What is the difference?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2fly View Post
    I have the BRP hitch from my 2012 and installed it on my 2022. Fits just fine except the ball contacts my license plate when the suspension travels up. I have adjusted the air bag control valve for more air pressure but it still hits the license plate.

Pierre @Canam Spyder Accessories told me the 2020 and up RT’s need a longer hitch to mitigate this issue but I see on that website the aftermarket hitch fits them all. What is the difference?
    Your wallet's a few hundred $$ lighter....

Juuust Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The ball hits the license plate? I kept my 2012 hitch. Didn’t put it on yet. I was only focused on the swing arm and the mounting. Guess I’ll have to check on that. Thanks.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-19-2023 at 06:18 AM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Juuust Sayin'

Meaning what?

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    I moved the hitch from my 2016 F3L to my 2020 RTL and it works great. My hitch isn’t OEM but that does not matter.

I guess you are asking if pre-2020 RTL hitches will transfer to 2020+ .
    This is good to know, since I am thinking about taking the OEM one off my 2016 F3L and putting it on my 2021 RTL. I see a previous post said something about it hitting his license plate, do you have this issue?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Juuust Sayin'
    Meaning what?
    Meaning the only real difference is that if you get one of the 'longer hitches', you've had pay for ANOTHER hitch, making your wallet a few hundred $$ lighter!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2023 at 08:30 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    This is good to know, since I am thinking about taking the OEM one off my 2016 F3L and putting it on my 2021 RTL. I see a previous post said something about it hitting his license plate, do you have this issue?
    Well, I went out and checked. Now, mine is an OEM hitch from 2012. Part number on the hitch of 705203210. And sure enough, the ball sits right underneath the license plate. So, when you account for the trailer coupling, and riding 2-up and loaded, I can see how it will hit the license plate area when you ride over the bumps. So, that's why the new hitches have to be longer, and why the after-market hitch - which apparently always was longer - doesn't have an issue. The longer hitch moves all of that further back and it clears.

So, it's not about the swing arm and the bolt. It's about interference with the license plate body parts when you go over the bumps. Too bad. Guess I'll have a trailer hitch for sale. (That nobody will want)
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-19-2023 at 08:49 AM.

Doug

Spyder Garage

Meaning the only real difference is that if you get one of the 'longer hitches', you've had pay for ANOTHER hitch, making your wallet a few hundred $$ lighter!
    Who said I am buying another hitch? I am asking how much longer the newer hitches are so I can make mine that length.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well, I went out and checked. Now, mine is an OEM hitch from 2012. Part number on the hitch of 705203210. And sure enough, the ball sits right underneath the license plate. So, when you account for the trailer coupling, and riding 2-up and loaded, I can see how it will hit the license plate area when you ride over the bumps. So, that's why the new hitches have to be longer, and why the after-market hitch - which apparently always was longer - doesn't have an issue. The longer hitch moves all of that further back and it clears.

So, it's not about the swing arm and the bolt. It's about interference with the license plate body parts when you go over the bumps. Too bad. Guess I'll have a trailer hitch for sale. (That nobody will want)
    Thank you for that information. I would have use for the hitch only 1 time a year, and that is not a certainty. So I guess I will stick with what I have. Or I might check the one on my F3L against my buddies on his 2020 RTL. It might actually be longer anyway due to the newer RT and F3T and F3L all having the same type of setup on the rear mud flap.

Spyder Garage

Who said I am buying another hitch? I am asking how much longer the newer hitches are so I can make mine that length.
    You could probably eyeball that for yourself. Whatever you’d be happy with, since you’re doing it DIY. Looks like anything like 4 to 6 inches gives plenty of clearance. That is, if you want to go through that modification. Your call. Myself - I think I’ll go the plug and play route. Good luck. And thanks for bringing that up. I never would have noticed that until it was too late.

Doug

Spyder Garage

I think that's the route I may need to take. I guess with the small load the hitch takes length is not a big issue.

Spyder Garage

I was informed today that the 2020 and newer Spyders use a longer hitch than older models. Just wondering if anyone knows how much longer the newer one is?
    I have the BRP hitch on my 2020 RT Limited. The one that's been on all my Spyders and it fits just fine. The top of the ball sits eight inches below my license plate.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Pic's would be nice to help end the confusion.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I have no issue at all with mine hitting. When I pull my trailer, I am always riding two up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I have no issue at all with mine hitting. When I pull my trailer, I am always riding two up.
    Do you know the air pressure in your air bag when loaded? That may be part of my problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I have the BRP hitch on my 2020 RT Limited. The one that's been on all my Spyders and it fits just fine. The top of the ball sits eight inches below my license plate.
    Mine does as well.

Spyder Garage

Do you know the air pressure in your air bag when loaded? That may be part of my problem.
    I do not know right off hand but will look the next time that we ride as I have the Fobo-2 installed on it also. The ride height is determined by the amount of weight on the spyder, but I can see how it would change by hitting a speed bump or something like that. I am wondering if your compressor, valve and stuff is working correctly.

I had honestly thought of raising my ball up a couple of inches to level out the trailer more.

I did check and the hitch that I purchased used from this site came off of a 2014 model and is the BRP hitch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    No contact with the license plate for me.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    No contact with the license plate for me.
    I am going to check mine for measurement. I am guessing (only a guess), that the F3T and F3L is the same measurement as the one for the 2020+ RT. Especially since the rear is made so similar.