Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Trailer Hitch mis-information

I have a riding buddy who picked up his new 2020 RTL today. He has a Freedom trailer so needed a hitch installed on his new bike. At first he was told hitches for the 2020s were not yet available. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the 2020s take exactly the same hitch as previous models. The dealer transferred the hitch from his "old" 2015 RTL to his new bike. Some of you new 2020 owners and potential owners may find this useful..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Good info to have. Joe and Ann have also done a swap out and found the same results
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I have a riding buddy who picked up his new 2020 RTL today. He has a Freedom trailer so needed a hitch installed on his new bike. At first he was told hitches for the 2020s were not yet available. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the 2020s take exactly the same hitch as previous models. The dealer transferred the hitch from his "old" 2015 RTL to his new bike. Some of you new 2020 owners and potential owners may find this useful..... Jim
    Was the harness reusable as is? Others will want to know.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Was the harness reusable as is? Others will want to know.
    My friend has a new harness on order. I don't know if the new harness is required because it may be different or if the dealer was too lazy to take it off the old bike and put it on the new one. But the hitch does indeed fit. I saw it today. First 2020 I've seen and I was impressed. BRP did a lot of good things and I believe it is a winner. Another interesting point is he got a full 7-year warranty at a cost of $1,300 additional. Seems very reasonable to me. My bank account is starting to get nervous..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

My friend has a new harness on order. I don't know if the new harness is required because it may be different or if the dealer was too lazy to take it off the old bike and put it on the new one. But the hitch does indeed fit. I saw it today. First 2020 I've seen and I was impressed. BRP did a lot of good things and I believe it is a winner. Another interesting point is he got a full 7-year warranty at a cost of $1,300 additional. Seems very reasonable to me. My bank account is starting to get nervous..... Jim
    That is so good to know. I was never going to pay $669.95 for a darn hitch from BRP.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe Captjim posted that the previous model hitches do work on the new Spyders

Spyder Garage

The Harness for an F3T/LTD will work. Connectors in rear are different then previous RT's but same as F3 LTD.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rick_w View Post
    The Harness for an F3T/LTD will work. Connectors in rear are different then previous RT's but same as F3 LTD.
    That really stinks! I sold my hitch off my F3 Limited when I knew I was getting a 2020 RT Limited. I just assumed it wouldn't fit. Oh, well.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    That really stinks! I sold my hitch off my F3 Limited when I knew I was getting a 2020 RT Limited. I just assumed it wouldn't fit. Oh, well.
    I did the same thing, oh, well live and learn.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Be careful of the changes in the harness due to year of manufacture. I bought a factory harness for my 2018 F3L on line to save a few bucks. It turns out it was for a 2017 and there was an incompatibility for one of the connectors. BRP changes part numbers at will and doesn't send info to the dealers. So, after the parts man at the local dealer and I starred at the parts list for a considerable period of time I bought the "jumper" section that appeared to be different and, low and behold, it fit! The research was a pain in the butt but it only cost $35 for the part.

The point here is be careful of what year harness you may try to use from any of these bikes. They are not universally compatible.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rick_w View Post
    if this is true then the parts needed are
    710003903 Module
    710005823 Module Harness
    710004851 Trailer Harness

Also the rear fender extension that is on the 2020 RT may need to be trimmed on the right side as it may make contact with the hitch. It did on my 2018 F3L. The hitch assembly that BRP sales for the F3 comes with a new extension that has a cut out. I just used a box cutter to do that.

Here is a link to look up install instructions
    https://instructions.brp.com/e-instruction.html
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I can confirm the Show Chrome trailer hitch works perfectly on the 2020 RT. I did have to tap out some holes to get all 3 bolts on each side. Were not tapped very well or not clean. But perfect fit other wise. Just fit right over the axle, not pushing on from behind like I saw of some older videos. Now I just have to find a compatible Wiring Harness. The Show Chrome is not compatible. Totally different connectors.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:56 PM. Reason: axel.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jredman View Post
    Now I just have to find a compatible Wiring Harness. The Show Chrome is not compatible. Totally different connectors.
    Won't this one work? I understand the rear light harness on the new RT is the same as F3.
    http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...GroupGuid=9230

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Won't this one work? I understand the rear light harness on the new RT is the same as F3.
    http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...GroupGuid=9230
    That is exactly the one I bought. Different connectors, do not fit. I tried. Totally different plugs. Similar, but do not fit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jredman View Post
    That is exactly the one I bought. Different connectors, do not fit. I tried. Totally different plugs. Similar, but do not fit.
    Then I think your next best bet is to buy the RT module harness, P/N 710005823, cut the module connector off. Take the SC harness you have and cut off the leads that go to the rear lights. Connect the 5 wires out of the relay box to the 5 wires of the BRP Y harness. That'll give you what you want. That is assuming the harness connectors under the seat for the trailer harness are the same on the 2020 as previous. The SC connectors go into the rear light harnesses while the BRP Y harness connects into the bike frame harness.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback as I also just fitted a Show Chrome 41-164 trailer hitch to my 2020 RT. The only extra tool I needed was a T30 Torq head to release the brake line holders. Instructions stated to remove the rear brake bolt but that's not required if you release the holder. Also instructions stated to wrap the spacers with masking tape if they are loose. Not confident with that option as the spacers should remain on the outside of the axle so I used silicone as they can be removed at anytime. Hopefully the wiring harness is just as easy, just waiting for it to arrive.

Spyder Garage

i'm confused?? I have been told by two dealers that the max for Spyder warranties is 5 years?????? If someone got 7 years it must not be by BRP and/or BEST, right?
    BIG F