Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Chatterbox XBi2 - Partial Review

Hi All,

I recently purchased 2 Chatterbox XBi2 units from JC Motors for $195 a piece (MSRP @ $229) and wanted to share with you my initial comments.

First of all, I am not affiliated with any store or company, so this is my own opinion. Also, keep in mind that this is the one and only motorcycle intercom I have ever used, so I cannot compare to what else is on the market even though I did a fair amount of research before buying these units.

So, the XBi2 unit is a bluetooth communication system for syncing music/gps, rider-to-passenger and compared to the original XBi it allows for bike-to-bike communication up to 500 feet. As of now, I only tried the music/gps option and phone. I will be using the rider-to-passenger feature during an upcoming trip and will share my comments then. I currently have no biker friends (except you guys) in my area, so I mostly ride alone. I decided on the XBi2 to be a little more future proof (for when I stop being an a$$ and make friends ).

The installation process went well. I took me about 15 minutes to put the speakers and mic in my Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet and tuck all the wires. It is a fairly easy process.

I thought the setup was fairly easy too. If you have setup a bluetooth device before this will be a piece of cake. The nice thing is that Chatterbox now has youtube videos to show you how to do it all and are very well explained (I watched the vids after the install).

Once your device is paired, powering and connecting the devices is a breeze. I start the music on my blackberry storm, click the BB button and select "activate XBi2", then power the XBi2 and it's done.

The music volume can get loud (even too much for me) if you want to, so the unit has plenty of power. I was very suspicious of "little speakers" in an helmet, but the sound is great. Obviously you do not get the same bass response as with earbuds, but that is to be expected.

I received a few calls while riding and nobody could tell I was out on the bike (going around 60 mph). Even the girl thought I sounded clearer than when I use the bluetooth system from the car nav. And I could hear every call just fine.

So far, there are two things I do not like about the unit.

1) It seems the unit will only charge if the battery is below a certain level. I understand why this is done, but if I need to unit for three hours and there is only two hours left in it, but will only let me charge it when there is one hour left it is kind of annoying.

2) Sometimes you have to wiggle the connector to realign the connection. The cable moves, you get a bad connection and switch to mono.

All in all, I really like this unit and would recommend it. Obviously, I got a really good deal when I bought it. I know lots of you like to Scala Q2, but for me that unit seemed limited. So, that's my opinion so far. I hope that helped some make a decision of future purchase no matter what they choose.

Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    Hi All,

I recently purchased 2 Chatterbox XBi2 units from JC Motors for $195 a piece (MSRP @ $229) and wanted to share with you my initial comments.

First of all, I am not affiliated with any store or company, so this is my own opinion. Also, keep in mind that this is the one and only motorcycle intercom I have ever used, so I cannot compare to what else is on the market even though I did a fair amount of research before buying these units.

So, the XBi2 unit is a bluetooth communication system for syncing music/gps, rider-to-passenger and compared to the original XBi it allows for bike-to-bike communication up to 500 feet. As of now, I only tried the music/gps option and phone. I will be using the rider-to-passenger feature during an upcoming trip and will share my comments then. I currently have no biker friends (except you guys) in my area, so I mostly ride alone. I decided on the XBi2 to be a little more future proof (for when I stop being an a$$ and make friends ).

The installation process went well. I took me about 15 minutes to put the speakers and mic in my Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet and tuck all the wires. It is a fairly easy process.

I thought the setup was fairly easy too. If you have setup a bluetooth device before this will be a piece of cake. The nice thing is that Chatterbox now has youtube videos to show you how to do it all and are very well explained (I watched the vids after the install).

Once your device is paired, powering and connecting the devices is a breeze. I start the music on my blackberry storm, click the BB button and select "activate XBi2", then power the XBi2 and it's done.

The music volume can get loud (even too much for me) if you want to, so the unit has plenty of power. I was very suspicious of "little speakers" in an helmet, but the sound is great. Obviously you do not get the same bass response as with earbuds, but that is to be expected.

I received a few calls while riding and nobody could tell I was out on the bike (going around 60 mph). Even the girl thought I sounded clearer than when I use the bluetooth system from the car nav. And I could hear every call just fine.

So far, there are two things I do not like about the unit.

1) It seems the unit will only charge if the battery is below a certain level. I understand why this is done, but if I need to unit for three hours and there is only two hours left in it, but will only let me charge it when there is one hour left it is kind of annoying.

2) Sometimes you have to wiggle the connector to realign the connection. The cable moves, you get a bad connection and switch to mono.

All in all, I really like this unit and would recommend it. Obviously, I got a really good deal when I bought it. I know lots of you like to Scala Q2, but for me that unit seemed limited. So, that's my opinion so far. I hope that helped some make a decision of future purchase no matter what they choose.

Thanks.

Nice Review! I have the XBI unit and am thinking of getting the XBI2 but was curious if it has the same problem as the original XBI of when you pair it with the BlackBerry or any cell phone it automatically calls the last person you had called and you have to be ready to hang up the phone. Does the XBI2 do this when pairing with a cell?
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Does this unit have the newer stereo bluetooth standard (ADP2 or whatever they call it) ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    Nice Review! I have the XBI unit and am thinking of getting the XBI2 but was curious if it has the same problem as the original XBI of when you pair it with the BlackBerry or any cell phone it automatically calls the last person you had called and you have to be ready to hang up the phone. Does the XBI2 do this when pairing with a cell?
    zzneonzz, it does some times and I think it has to do with how long you hold the power button when turning on the unit. Sometimes it calls, sometimes it doesn't. It seems like it will not call if you release the button right before the light turns on. I need to test this more actually.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Does this unit have the newer stereo bluetooth standard (ADP2 or whatever they call it) ?
    It does. The music comes in full stereo, no dongle needed. But I think the original XBi also is stereo ADP2.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It does. The music comes in full stereo, no dongle needed. But I think the original XBi also is stereo ADP2.
    Yes the original XBI also has ADP2.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

zzneonzz, it does some times and I think it has to do with how long you hold the power button when turning on the unit. Sometimes it calls, sometimes it doesn't. It seems like it will not call if you release the button right before the light turns on. I need to test this more actually.
    Ok I kind of figured that they wouldn't fix that problem with the new one LOL. I wish they would use that as the voice activated calling button
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Spyder Garage

I also use the XBi in conjunction with the iCombi bluetooth. I returned the unit twice to get a setup that worked. I could talk with passenger, or listen to the radio, but not both. The returned unit allowed me to listen to the passenger, but no radio. I was ready to give up on communications/radio.

This unit, I get full stereo sound from Sirius radio, plus I have to listen to constant yapping from passenger interrupting favorite 1980's music.

Still evaluating the communications thing.
    Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Spyder Garage

Just remember that you'll need to be stereo on the other end too - the Garmin 550 is NOT ADP2 - so you have to use a dongle out of the earphone port.

Spyder Garage

I'll be your friend.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

thanks for the review. A buddy and I are looking to buy this unit. I spent like an hour talking with the guy from Chatterbox. Really nice guy. there is also a microphone unit they are coming out with to plug in your own headphones for better sound (pic). I also like the fact that you can replace the battery when it is shot. The scala rider one I don't think you can. You have to buy a new unit. Let us know how the communication works between riders! The guy from Chatterbox was atleast honest and said it will not go 500 feet, but the scala rider will not either (same technology), but the communicator will sink right back up as soon as you get back in range though.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I do not know about an improved mic, but the picture you have is for an open face model. The full face version is a lot different.

I agree that being able to replace the battery is a nice feature. Are you reading this Apple?

Spyder Garage

Yeah this is not an improved mic. It splits the mic and speakers so you can plug in different speakers. This is the open face version yes, but he said these are still in production. I am sure they will have a full face version also. I just thought the battery replacement was a nice feature.

Spyder Garage

Default from the dude that has both

Hey guys

I now have both

Xbi is in a FULMER 3/4 helemt

XBI2 is in a HJC IS-max

Here what i find

First problem Chatter box had a senior moment when doing the specs

XBI cannot connect with XBI2 - there reason (frequency issues)

My logic 40-80 more buck per unit and they will sell more XBI2 now that they can comm to each other.

Music is much better sounding on the XBI2 tryed it and the XBI2 at 90 mph did alot better on the phone less background noise.

Why 90 one the way to a call ....lol
    HM1 Nathaniel V. Mitchell, USN, CC-NREMT-P

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nyfdtsdemt View Post
    Hey guys

I now have both

Xbi is in a FULMER 3/4 helemt

XBI2 is in a HJC IS-max

Here what i find

First problem Chatter box had a senior moment when doing the specs

XBI cannot connect with XBI2 - there reason (frequency issues)

My logic 40-80 more buck per unit and they will sell more XBI2 now that they can comm to each other.

Music is much better sounding on the XBI2 tryed it and the XBI2 at 90 mph did alot better on the phone less background noise.

Why 90 one the way to a call ....lol
    Thanks for the comparison between them. Guess i'll have to get another XBI since the XBI2 won't pair with my current XBI as i was going to install this one in the GF helmet....Oh well LOL
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!