Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Leaning 3 Wheeler

I just came across this post on Kneeslider. I will not be trading my Spyder, but I do love to see other companies venturing into the area of reverse trikes. (If it goes into production)

https://thekneeslider.com/yamaha-nik...-the-big-time/
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These bikes are variations on their "Tesseract" Quad from about 10 years ago...
    It's nice to see that they're making some progress!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Nice. I like that a lot. Wonder what is under the fairing/how the forks are connected. Also wonder if the suspension will be squishy like is reported on the FZ/MT09. Look forward to more and a price point.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    Nice. I like that a lot. Wonder what is under the fairing/how the forks are connected. Also wonder if the suspension will be squishy like is reported on the FZ/MT09. Look forward to more and a price point.
    Suspension got fixed on the FZ in 2017, they adopted what they put on the XSR900, works just fine now.

That said, the suspension for this won't be anything like the FZ/MT/XSR, for the obvious reasons.

Personally: this is what BRP should have put out a couple of years ago instead of only doubling-down on the static trike design. I loved my Spyder, I'd love another Spyder someday, but it's undeniable that a leaning reverse trike from a big OEM would appeal to a wider audience of pre-existing riders than a trike that doesn't lean. Glad the tech's finally caught up.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Suspension got fixed on the FZ in 2017, they adopted what they put on the XSR900, works just fine now.

That said, the suspension for this won't be anything like the FZ/MT/XSR, for the obvious reasons.

Personally: this is what BRP should have put out a couple of years ago instead of only doubling-down on the static trike design. I loved my Spyder, I'd love another Spyder someday, but it's undeniable that a leaning reverse trike from a big OEM would appeal to a wider audience of pre-existing riders than a trike that doesn't lean. Glad the tech's finally caught up.
    Why not combine the bulkiness of a Trike, and the "Tipoverabilty" of a two-wheeler?

Spyder Garage

Default Well.....

That is so tight it makes you wonder...🤔 why bother..ride the two wheeler...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting to re-visit. For now, I am going to stick with what I have.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why not combine the bulkiness of a Trike, and the "Tipoverabilty" of a two-wheeler?
    Why not combine the maneuverability of a two-wheeler, with the corner stability of a trike? This is a fun game, Bob!

I have no doubt that the Spyder will continue to have its success. But while I was a happy owner of a Spyder for a very long time, I'm not going to pretend that there weren't a LOT of people out there (read forums other than SL, or visit any non-Spyder rally) who took one look at the Spyder-- or one demo ride on the Spyder-- and were turned off simply because they didn't want to give up the sensation of two wheels in exchange for three.

IME, while BRP desperately wants to sell Spyders to the young and beautiful new rider crowd (look at any of their ads), the largest Spyder demographic remains people who for age/medical reasons would either buy another trike, or give up riding altogether. Given the success of the Piaggio MP3 (not in America, but scooters aren't big here-- you can't walk a block in Europe without running into an MP3), there's obviously a market for leaning trikes. This Yamaha and others like it (e.g. Honda Neowing concept) offers a choice to those who would prefer most of the advantages of a Spyder with the fewest compromises of one. It doesn't hurt that something like this doesn't come with the image of the retired rally-hopping Spyder owner with a bum knee (a stereotype to be sure, but one that's prevalent out in the real world, fairly or not).

Anyway... *if* Yamaha doesn't just sell this overseas but brings it to North America, we'll have an interesting experiment in the marketplace to see how popular something like this is. I guarantee that BRP is watching intently to see if it makes business sense to finally offer a leaning Spyder in their lineup.

P.S. All things aside, I just love that Yammy put their triple into this thing... that engine is the best thing about my XSR, it's such a wonderful mill.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default tilting motor works

Why not combine the maneuverability of a two-wheeler, with the corner stability of a trike? This is a fun game, Bob!

I have no doubt that the Spyder will continue to have its success. But while I was a happy owner of a Spyder for a very long time, I'm not going to pretend that there weren't a LOT of people out there (read forums other than SL, or visit any non-Spyder rally) who took one look at the Spyder-- or one demo ride on the Spyder-- and were turned off simply because they didn't want to give up the sensation of two wheels in exchange for three.

IME, while BRP desperately wants to sell Spyders to the young and beautiful new rider crowd (look at any of their ads), the largest Spyder demographic remains people who for age/medical reasons would either buy another trike, or give up riding altogether. Given the success of the Piaggio MP3 (not in America, but scooters aren't big here-- you can't walk a block in Europe without running into an MP3), there's obviously a market for leaning trikes. This Yamaha and others like it (e.g. Honda Neowing concept) offers a choice to those who would prefer most of the advantages of a Spyder with the fewest compromises of one. It doesn't hurt that something like this doesn't come with the image of the retired rally-hopping Spyder owner with a bum knee (a stereotype to be sure, but one that's prevalent out in the real world, fairly or not).

Anyway... *if* Yamaha doesn't just sell this overseas but brings it to North America, we'll have an interesting experiment in the marketplace to see how popular something like this is. I guarantee that BRP is watching intently to see if it makes business sense to finally offer a leaning Spyder in their lineup.

P.S. All things aside, I just love that Yammy put their triple into this thing... that engine is the best thing about my XSR, it's such a wonderful mill.
    http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/
    The real father of the invention perse

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

wow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you dig that triple!
    But a tilting trike can be tipped too far...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-26-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

the seating position on this (and most sport bikes) puts the rider in a box behind first base while the passenger sits in a bleacher seat.
    I bet they sell quite a few. It is although, aimed at a market very different from the Spyder.
    Last edited by ofdave; 10-26-2017 at 07:51 AM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my opinion a bike like this is exactly what BRP is currently lacking. A sport riding position model with power and performance. I say this without riding the Yammi or the Honda Neowing but if BRP isn't going to provide this then I'm going somewhere else that will.

Spyder Garage

With Yamaha reliability, this maybe a good contender when the F3 gets out of warranty. Probably, almost half the price as well. A better seat will be in order.

Spyder Garage

I have to say, that was my first thought as well.....
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you dig that triple!
    I saw an upended Piaggio on main street in Eagle River a couple years back. It was not pretty.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Youtube video....

Just saw the specs & it's an inline 3 cylinder like the 1330. Full details being released on Nov. 6th.
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 10-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

two threads on the same topic
    be sure to post in both
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...09063-YAMAHA-3

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Competition is a good thing

COMPETITION is a good thing...Looks like a blast to ride...Hopefully this adventure will be the start for many others to follow...larryd

Spyder Garage

Why do you say that? Is it because you would tip over on a 2 wheel machine? Is that why you ride a Spyder? Nothing wrong with that but it is no reason to put down a more reliable machine that requires more from the rider. David

Spyder Garage

You nailed it - man oh man did you nail it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    In my opinion a bike like this is exactly what BRP is currently lacking. A sport riding position model with power and performance. I say this without riding the Yammi or the Honda Neowing but if BRP isn't going to provide this then I'm going somewhere else that will.
    Bingo! BRP did away with the only sporty machine in their line up - the RS. That and the very questionable reliability of the Spyder is what caused me to trade my RT for a Yamaha FJ-09.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP has the technology for a leaner already on the books, and ready for their use. They even have "computer-controlled leaning", that is in the system software...
    Let your computer lean your bike for you?
    My guess is that they patented it in order to lock out the competition.

Spyder Garage

I just want to see a review and know how much $$. I saw the Honda at 0.46 and i like that one too.

2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

So can a planar trike and two wheeler yet both these are on the road, they arent infallible, stupid kills most every time...