Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Glad I got rid of my Kenda's at ±1000 miles! I don't trust Chinese quality control even a little.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you all remember back in 2014 BRP switched to a softer compound tire, it was junk, I got about 8,000 miles out of mine and they were shot. Look at the manufacture date on the tire, if it is 0114 to 2614 it is the soft compound, they went back to a firmer compound mid-year. The OP likely had the soft tires, which are now 6 years old and should be changed just for that reason alone.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jegarh View Post
    Thanks PMK. I'll take your suggestion to heart. My dealer is 156 miles away (187.2 KM) away. But since I grew up in south Texas where it is 50 miles in any direction for a drink of water, the trip to the dealer is no big thing. The RT is already on the trailer so I may take off tomorrow after I have talked to the adjuster.

" Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into " , I said to myself..........

Here is a photo of the disaster area;
    Another question. Where is the blowout? In the tread area or in the sidewall? Can you tell?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Another question. Where is the blowout? In the tread area or in the sidewall? Can you tell?
    There was no"blowout". The tread separated and peeled off. When I was able to come to a stop, the carcass was still holding air. After about a minute it popped. As I was examining it before it popped I was thinking I could probably limp home on the shoulder of the road. The rubber had peeled off from rim to rim. I had that happen on a US Royal tire on my grandmother's brand new 57 Chev 4 door hard top with the power pack (She asked me to choose the model for her) and I was able to drive back 8 miles and take it to the US Royal guy the next morning. But the non tread part of that Kenda was no thicker than an inner tube.

In the mean time I have trailered it 157 miles today to Coyote Powersports in Boerne TX and left it in the capable hands of Rocky who doesn't think it will total and can be repaired. I told him to make a deal with the Foremost Adjuster when he calls tomorrow.

While I was at Coyote Power Sports I saw a gorgeous orange 2019 RT SE6 that made me wish that mine had been stolen.
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a little disappointed the tire experts haven't shown more interest in this thread, and in trying to determine what might have caused this catastrophic failure. The OP has provided excellent information and seems willing to answer questions in order to help with the inquiry.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm a little disappointed the tire experts haven't shown more interest in this thread, and trying to determine what might have caused this catastrophic failure. The OP has provided excellent information and seems willing to answer questions in order to help with the inquiry.
    Its very simple really. Cheap, low quality chinese tires. Its really amazing there has not been more of these type failures with the very weak construction Kenda tires.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

It's very easy to be critical and blame the Chinese based, it seems, only on predudise but there are plenty of tyre gators on the roads from all sorts of tyres.

It may well have been a faulty tyre but it could also be abuse somewhere in the tyre's life. A pothole impact, kerbing, under inflation, run flat at some point, - there could be all sorts of things gone on.

Spyder Garage

I replaced the rear kenda at 10,000km ,it was so soft in the center it felt like i could shove my thumb through it .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    It's very easy to be critical and blame the Chinese based, it seems, only on predudise but there are plenty of tyre gators on the roads from all sorts of tyres.

It may well have been a faulty tyre but it could also be abuse somewhere in the tyre's life. A pothole impact, kerbing, under inflation, run flat at some point, - there could be all sorts of things gone on.
    Not prejudice. Actual hands on experience with MANY of these low quality poorly constructed tires. The defects they ship would never pass qc at top tier brands. Exposed bead reinforcement, moulded significantly out of round and out of balance far beyond industry standard tolerances. Even ones that are moulded cockeyed where the tread is at an angle to the underlying tire. Nope, the Kendas are JUNK. I really find it hard to believe there have not been more failures. Will not run them on our own bikes. New ones come off when the bike comes home.

Even among low end chinese brand tires, the Kendas are far below industry standards.

I have replaced a large quantity of these. Its so bad that its actually very rare that the fronts ever wear out, they fail internally and will not hold balance long before the tread wears out. I have only seen ONE pair actually worn even to the point of tread wear indicators. ONE out of dozens and dozens.

We do not sell junk chinese tires. There really is a difference in top tier quality tires. Your bike and your safety deserve the difference.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I'm a little disappointed the tire experts haven't shown more interest in this thread, and trying to determine what might have caused this catastrophic failure. The OP has provided excellent information and seems willing to answer questions in order to help with the inquiry.
    Not an expert in any sense of the word, but my brand new Kendas wouldn't balance at all. Replaced all three, told my story. I believe in speaking straight, good or bad, but folks must make their own decisions. The Chinese don't have their QC under control.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jegarh View Post
    There was no"blowout". The tread separated and peeled off. When I was able to come to a stop, the carcass was still holding air. After about a minute it popped. As I was examining it before it popped I was thinking I could probably limp home on the shoulder of the road. The rubber had peeled off from rim to rim. I had that happen on a US Royal tire on my grandmother's brand new 57 Chev 4 door hard top with the power pack (She asked me to choose the model for her) and I was able to drive back 8 miles and take it to the US Royal guy the next morning. But the non tread part of that Kenda was no thicker than an inner tube.

In the mean time I have trailered it 157 miles today to Coyote Powersports in Boerne TX and left it in the capable hands of Rocky who doesn't think it will total and can be repaired. I told him to make a deal with the Foremost Adjuster when he calls tomorrow.

While I was at Coyote Power Sports I saw a gorgeous orange 2019 RT SE6 that made me wish that mine had been stolen.
    Were these original tires??

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Obviously some Kendas aren't good, but there's absolutely no basis to conclude that all Kendas are junk because of a few anecdotal failures. You can find anecdotal evidence of failures of any tire but you rarely hear of good examples because ... why would anybody post a good example? Well, I will. I have 4200 miles on my Kendas and I have no vibration, they track straight, and they look like brand new. Why are mine good and others have problems? Dunno. Do we ALL maintain proper air pressure ALL the time? Do we ALL always avoid the "tyre gators" that Spyderlass mentioned? Do we ALL drive under the same temperatures, weather, speeds, on the same roads, etc.? Emphatically NO. That alone is enough to dispel this ridiculous generalization. And consider this - BRP built the Spyder with competent engineers and if their engineers aren't experts, then none of us should never climb aboard a Spyder because they're obviously far too dangerous ... right??? If Kendas are as dangerous as some people here claim, BRP would be sued nine ways to Sunday. Ever heard of such a lawsuit? Me neither.

Are there some bad Kendas? Yes, of course, just like you can find bad tires by any manufacturer. Maybe some "need" to run out and replace their Kendas. Others don't, so enough of the generalizations. This is the same kind of "wisdom" here that tells you that everyone "needs" a laser alignment and everyone "needs" a BajaRon sway bar and everyone "needs" that thingie that supposedly prevents the belt vibration that I never feel. Maybe some do need these things, but when somebody tells you there is a problem it's really easy to start imagining that you have it, too. I myself was ready to fall for this stuff until I did a ryde where I was doing 80 mph on the freeway for a couple of hundred miles without a bit of vibration and I came home and exited the freeway on a flyover where I was passing cars at 65 mph and having a grand old time. It was then that I realized how fantastic my factory-original Spyder with plain old Kenda tires was and WTF would I want to mess with it? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Obviously some Kendas aren't good, but there's absolutely no basis to conclude that all Kendas are junk because of a few anecdotal failures. You can find anecdotal evidence of failures of any tire but you rarely hear of good examples because ... why would anybody post a good example? Well, I will. I have 4200 miles on my Kendas and I have no vibration, they track straight, and they look like brand new. Why are mine good and others have problems? Dunno. Do we ALL maintain proper air pressure ALL the time? Do we ALL always avoid the "tyre gators" that Spyderlass mentioned? Do we ALL drive under the same temperatures, weather, speeds, on the same roads, etc.? Emphatically NO. That alone is enough to dispel this ridiculous generalization. And consider this - BRP built the Spyder with competent engineers and if their engineers aren't experts, then none of us should never climb aboard a Spyder because they're obviously far too dangerous ... right??? If Kendas are as dangerous as some people here claim, BRP would be sued nine ways to Sunday. Ever heard of such a lawsuit? Me neither.

Are there some bad Kendas? Yes, of course, just like you can find bad tires by any manufacturer. Maybe some "need" to run out and replace their Kendas. Others don't, so enough of the generalizations. This is the same kind of "wisdom" here that tells you that everyone "needs" a laser alignment and everyone "needs" a BajaRon sway bar and everyone "needs" that thingie that supposedly prevents the belt vibration that I never feel. Maybe some do need these things, but when somebody tells you there is a problem it's really easy to start imagining that you have it, too. I myself was ready to fall for this stuff until I did a ryde where I was doing 80 mph on the freeway for a couple of hundred miles without a bit of vibration and I came home and exited the freeway on a flyover where I was passing cars at 65 mph and having a grand old time. It was then that I realized how fantastic my factory-original Spyder with plain old Kenda tires was and WTF would I want to mess with it? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    totally. Thanks John. I think it's worth investigating why this particular tire of the OP's failed so catastrophically well within its expected lifetime so newbies don't unnecessarily worry about their Kenda tires or spend money to replace them before they actually need to.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Kenda's got the moniker " JUNK " for a lot of reasons … like weak construction ( few plies and they are thinner than auto tires ), very high lack of quality control , ie out-of-round , Un - balanceable etc. ….. Now I am NOT referring to just a couple of Spyder Kenda's …. this info has been posted here by many, many Kenda user...… If you like them - fine ….. I don't and a lot of other folks here don't either ………. Mike I should have just said JCthorne " nailed it " )…..

Spyder Garage

I thought that maybe the Kendas were getting a bad rap,but coming home from a long trip all of a sudden the frt just started shaking.I pulled over and looked at the tread and checked to see if the lugnuts might be loose.So my tires still have great tread but they were replaced by Quatracs,shaking gone.Hoping I get a little more than 10k out of these.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Glad I got rid of my Kenda's at ±1000 miles! I don't trust Chinese quality control even a little.
    You probably shouldn't buy any fireworks then.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The Kenda's got the moniker " JUNK " for a lot of reasons … like weak construction ( few plies and they are thinner than auto tires ), very high lack of quality control , ie out-of-round , Un - balanceable etc. ….. Now I am NOT referring to just a couple of Spyder Kenda's …. this info has been posted here by many, many Kenda user...… If you like them - fine ….. I don't and a lot of other folks here don't either ………. Mike I should have just said JCthorne " nailed it " )…..
    Actually you and a couple of other people are the only ones I've heard refer to Kendas as "junk." Statistically you can say that "many, many Kenda users" have posted this here, but I remember hearing that there are about 500 members here. I doubt you counted the number of complaints on the forum, since you didn't give a number, but I'm willing to concede that "a lot" of people here, say 50, may have complaints. That's only 10% and when you consider the number of Spyders out there in the rest of the world, that's a really, really tiny fraction. I've heard that 20,000 Spyders have been built and if there are 50 complaints about Kendas, that less than one percent, i.e., 0.25% of all owners. Statistically, that is utterly insignificant and especially when you consider that people don't have any incentive to post, "Gee, I love my Kendas." Who's going to do that ... well, I did but nobody else is going to. Furthermore, it is simply fallacious reasoning to draw generalizations based on a few specific anecdotes. You can believe what you want but you guys need to stop with the blanket generalizations backed up by nothing but some people posting on the forum.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually you and a couple of other people are the only ones I've heard refer to Kendas as "junk." Statistically you can say that "many, many Kenda users" have posted this here, but I remember hearing that there are about 500 members here. I doubt you counted the number of complaints on the forum, since you didn't give a number, but I'm willing to concede that "a lot" of people here, say 50, may have complaints. That's only 10% and when you consider the number of Spyders out there in the rest of the world, that's a really, really tiny fraction. I've heard that 20,000 Spyders have been built and if there are 50 complaints about Kendas, that less than one percent, i.e., 0.25% of all owners. Statistically, that is utterly insignificant and especially when you consider that people don't have any incentive to post, "Gee, I love my Kendas." Who's going to do that ... well, I did but nobody else is going to. Furthermore, it is simply fallacious reasoning to draw generalizations based on a few specific anecdotes. You can believe what you want but you guys need to stop with the blanket generalizations backed up by nothing but some people posting on the forum.
    Actually I believe there are over 100,000 Spyders on the road and 20,000 or so members on this forum. All the complaints I've seen on here over the past 3+ years but two have been regarding longevity or lack thereof, not outright failure.

I've only seen 2 instances of catastrophic failures mentioned and this is one of them. I imagine that can be traced to persistent under-inflation (23# in the rear per the OP). I'm not surprised that BRP is not motivated to do anything different with their tires.

Incidentally, I have had exceptionally good performance from my Kenda radial trailer tires on my travel trailer. They have easily outperformed the previous two sets of non-radial trailer tires from Goodyear and another highly rated manufacturer in terms of ride quality, wet road performance and longevity.

Kendas are not junk. It diminishes in my mind the credibility of those 'experts' who dismiss this instance of catastrophic tire failure by airily blaming the manufacturer for poor quality control. SpyderLovers deserve thoughtful science based investigation of anomalies such as this one, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually I believe there are over 100,000 Spyders on the road and 20,000 or so members on this forum. All the complaints I've seen on here over the past 3+ years but two have been regarding longevity or lack thereof, not outright failure.

I've only seen 2 instances of catastrophic failures mentioned and this is one of them. I imagine that can be traced to persistent under-inflation (23# in the rear per the OP). I'm not surprised that BRP is not motivated to do anything different with their tires.

Incidentally, I have had exceptionally good performance from my Kenda radial trailer tires on my travel trailer. They have easily outperformed the previous two sets of non-radial trailer tires from Goodyear and another highly rated manufacturer in terms of ride quality, wet road performance and longevity.

Kendas are not junk. It diminishes in my mind the credibility of those 'experts' who dismiss this instance of catastrophic tire failure by airily blaming the manufacturer for poor quality control. SpyderLovers deserve thoughtful science based investigation of anomalies such as this one, I think.
    Dear Pete ….pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze put me on your IGNORE list ….Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eze …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The fact that the tire just 'delaminated' says something. The man is a 'senior' rider and by his own post he does not abuse the machine. So after the delaminate there tire just 'pops' like a baloon? If it only had 23 lbs of air, not a lot of psi to make it go 'pop'. I have read that Kenda's where specifically designed for the Spyder since day one, but this failure would certainly give me pause.

Spyder Garage

You probably shouldn't buy any fireworks then.
    Mr. UtahPete,
    I don't. As a matter of fact, when there is any other alternative to something manufactured in China, I buy that. When it is unavoidable, I am vary careful in using it, as I expect failure.

As some of the others have said, maybe I paint with a broad brush. But I have never personally experienced a tire (of any brand) so out of round that road force balance wouldn't at least make it usable. My Kenda experience was such.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dear Pete ….pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze put me on your IGNORE list ….Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eze …. Mike
    Dear Mike,

You have way too much good information for me to do that. I've learned a lot from you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m no tire expert and don’t claim to be. I am not a big Kenda fan on Spyders and when they wear out or fail I will replace them with another brand tire. They cost way too much for what you get and don’t hold up as well as other brands on Spyders. I am going from personal experience on this. I have had Kenda front tires fail on a 2012 RT at 14,000 miles, not catastrophically but go out of round and wobble terribly they were always at recommended pressures and the front end was laser aligned. Sorry not a fan.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Okay, okay. Kendas are getting a large black eye here. I come from the "other" side of the argument.

My dealer was one who would NOT put anything else other than OEM tires on the Spyders. I was in Alaska, so they had me you know where. There were also NO tire shops that would work with me....and I did not want anyone that did not know about Spyders messing around with the rear tire anyway.

Bottom line...I used Kendas from 2008 through 2019 on five different Spyders. I NEVER had an issue with the Kendas. My track record was always...20K miles on the fronts and 15 - 20 K miles on the rear tires. I put over 145,000 miles on my five assorted Spyders. All got at least one set of new tires.

Only one exception...the SOFT compound rear tires in 2014 got me 8.9K miles on the rear tire. I replaced that tire just this year at 32K miles. (that's 23K on the replacement).

I had the bikes serviced at Lamonster Garage less than a month ago. We put new tires on all around on both Spyders. He used car tires this time around (except for the 2011) which got OEM Kenda fronts. They had no other 14" tires for that one.

We will see how the "new" tires work out in relation to my past experience with Kendas. Now that I have choices I can be a bit more picky. I never felt as though I was in peril while driving the Kendas.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-17-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WAS it a defective tire or was the tire running low on air or other factors that would cause this to happen?