Spyder Garage

Default Tools for extended traveling

Hi all,

I did some searching but didn't find anything concise on this topic. Would be great if there was a sticky thread somewhere.

I have a 2015 RT and I like to take weekend trips. I was wondering if there were any mechanics or members that have a minimal/suggested tool list to take on trips? Currently I have some standard things like..

1. SAE Plug/Jumper cables for battery issues
    2. Rechargeable tire pump and tire plug kit
    3. 2 12mm wrenches in case the parking brake will not disengage (Found that out the hard way a few weekends ago)
    4. 30 Torx encase body panels need to be removed.

Anyways you get where I'm going.

I think this would be great information to have regardless of what spyder version your riding, maybe in a sticky somewhere.

Brent
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: ...

Spyder Garage

to the party. Your subject has come up a few times. There are a lot of opinions on the subject also.

In most cases, if more stuff than minor happens, most people are going to have a problem fixing it. Spyder is not user friendly when it comes to most fixes. Being one who is NOT mechanical, I just carry the "standard" tool kit...which is pretty sorry IMO. I also carry a cell phone, and a couple credit cards.

Been a spyder owner since 2008, 150,000 plus miles, and so far, have not been stranded anywhere. And...I did that all from Alaska. Recently moved to Arkansas, so at least there are many dealers to choose from for repairs now. There was only one dealer in the whole state of AK, and now there are none.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Along with the tool kit included when we got our RTL, I had added the items you listed, and added a lithium battery jump starter, small but bright LED flashlight and a small 1st aid kit.
    Agree with ARtraveler - Spyders, along with most other vehicles these days, are so dependant on the CAN bus and computers the days of roadside repair are pretty much a thing of the past.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

AAA RV roadside assistance or something similar. Also something to chock your wheels if the paring brake fails. Harbor Freight has very compact folding ones.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    AAA RV roadside assistance or something similar. Also something to chock your wheels if the paring brake fails. Harbor Freight has very compact folding ones.
    Totally. I bought AAA just because Spyder. Have the Harbor Freight chocks and 12mm wrenches. I still need the jump pack, but haven't strayed off too far yet. Carry Torx enough to remove all body panels. Always have a light.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

As far as roadside assistance is concerned you may want to check with your insurance carrier. They may have an additional level of assistance at a reasonable price.
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

If your phone provider is Sprint, they will pay for your basic AAA annual fee and that's a good size chunk.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tire repair kit. Inflator. Lug wrench. Duct tape. Crimp on electrical connectors. Electrical tape. Double-sided adhesive tape. Pliers. Zip ties. Bailing wire. Chewing gum.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lineberr View Post
    Hi all,

I did some searching but didn't find anything concise on this topic. Would be great if there was a sticky thread somewhere.

I have a 2015 RT and I like to take weekend trips. I was wondering if there were any mechanics or members that have a minimal/suggested tool list to take on trips? Currently I have some standard things like..

1. SAE Plug/Jumper cables for battery issues
    2. Rechargeable tire pump and tire plug kit
    3. 2 12mm wrenches in case the parking brake will not disengage (Found that out the hard way a few weekends ago)
    4. 30 Torx encase body panels need to be removed.

Anyways you get where I'm going.

I think this would be great information to have regardless of what spyder version your riding, maybe in a sticky somewhere.

Brent
    Lineberr, It sounds like you've got the basics and with a roadside assistance card and a cellphone you should be good.

With our 200,000 miles to date on 3 RTs and the 2016 F3T we have fixed two flats with your #2 items (actually used a plug in compressor and then a garage air hose to finish) and had two tows while on the road - one a 30 mile tow with BRP warranty roadside assistance which cost another $50 for a blown tire, and a 70 mile tow in Arkansas when the F3T had a fuel pump go out using our car insurance roadside assistance (cost another $100).

Other than that the 12 mm wrenches came in handy in Deadwood SD two years ago and we rode back to Spearfish after removing the parking brakes and then the 700 miles home where they had an electric motor to replace it with the following Monday. A road side rock makes an okay chock, as well as a souvenir Those were the major delays on our trips. I carry a small bottle of #4 DOT brake fluid and syringe to add a little if the pre 2016 RTs need a little more on the road. The newer RTs and F3s have a larger brake fluid reservoir that is less sensitive to levels.

Just keep air in the tires, change your oil and perform regular maintenance as per the schedule and carry your credit card. Its all good, even the occasional delay. It gives you a memory to look back on!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I agree with all of the above. The RT tool kit has the necessary torx wrenches but I carry a T handle one anyway cause I like the speed. A tire repair kit is good and a jump pack. Like Pete I also carry some wire crimp on connecters and a pair of crimpers, tape and a couple of extra bungees. Flash light, AMA and Allstate roadside service, cell phone and credit card. Back in the day I could field strip a Venture and repair most anything I could get parts for, and had the know how and skill to do it. The Venture never needed it and now I could no more do that to a Spyder then fly to the Moon.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have been carrying too many tools but now that I'm more familiar with my Mistress I trust her a lot more. So, I'll leave most of them at home next season and maybe get better gas mileage outta her. But I won't be leaving the AAA RV card or the 10 mm socket and ratchet behind.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Trip Tools

Best Tools for me, Cellphone and my Credit Card. Enjoy your time and always ryde safe.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

AMA Motow is available at no cost to AMA members that are on auto renew. You should belong to the AMA anyway.
    When traveling, I always carry more than one credit card. There can be fraud on your card totally unrelated to anything you have done and your card will be canceled.
    This can be a disaster if you are traveling.