Spyder Garage

Default Video, "How to lift a Spyder."

Several members have asked about a video showing how to lift a Spyder, so I finally got around to it. It's about 12 minutes long and show several ways that I have done it with ramps and a MC jack.

In the video I state several times when using ramps, they must be secured to the floor so they don't slide. There are a couple of scenes showing the ramps sliding because I did not secure them well enough. I left those scenes in the video just to show how important it is to secure them.

Hope this answers some questions. The title is "Lifting a Can Am Spyder RTS". Here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81BSu0vjq9g
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2020 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Howto:
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Very good video, Keith!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Mr Grandpot,
    As always when viewing your stuff I learned something today. It's gonna be a good day! I've subscribed this thread as it is so useful.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, good, I'm subscribed.

Spyder Garage

Excellent video. Just not sure yet how to secure ramps to a concrete floor. So far I've been fortunate in that mine have not slipped.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the video, Keith!
    Good job explaining too.
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video. I learned something new------ I'll NEVER use ramps. Especially backwards. My HF jack and stands are my go to.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Good job Keith! Ive got to get one of those MC jacks, I have been using just a reg floor jack! Now I want to tell you, you got to start in the right place to get it balanced in the right place before you get it up to high!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Great job! I liked that you did a voice over, instead of talking while filming. I also like that you did not hand-hold the camera and used a tripod for steady shooting. Oh....and good info there too!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Thanks for the video. I learned something new------ I'll NEVER use ramps. Especially backwards. My HF jack and stands are my go to.
    Lew, I'm glad you got the message about the ramps. I usually have a beer right after I fly up them, never before. My preferred way to lift is with the MC jack and jack stands.

Thank you to everyone for the comments.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Ramps work for me and I have been using them without incident for 5 years. I have a floor jack and a motorcycle lift and also use them occasionally, but I like the ramps.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks Keith for the time and effort you put into producing such a great Video...It's really appreciated!
    John

2013 RT LTD SE5
    Fargo, ND / 82 & Sunshine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Ramps work for me and I have been using them without incident for 5 years. I have a floor jack and a motorcycle lift and also use them occasionally, but I like the ramps.
    Do you get a good oil drain with the ramps. Someone mentioned half ramps not sure I understand that one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Do you get a good oil drain with the ramps. Someone mentioned half ramps not sure I understand that one.
    If you only use the ramps on the front wheels, the Spyder will be on an angle. This will prevent some of the old oil from draining, but I don't think it will be much. The suggestion for half ramps I believe refers to the height. They will just reduce the angle. It's always best to have the bike level. Use the 3 ramps, or the MC lift with jack stands for stability. The 3 green blocks of wood in my video raise the bike up just enough where I can get a shallow drain pan underneath and get to the drain plugs. It's a little cramped that way, but it works.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    How do you keep the ramps from being pushed by the front wheels? Anchor them to the floor?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    How do you keep the ramps from being pushed by the front wheels? Anchor them to the floor?
    My shop has a wooden floor, so I put some deck screws through the stands and into the floor. I use them on a gravel driveway without needing to anchor them. I've never tried to anchor them on a concrete floor. Sounds like drilling into the floor may be a way to go. I wonder if putting the stands on rubber mats will work?
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I wonder if putting the stands on rubber mats will work?
    That might work, but I know the rubber from old inner tubes does not. Not sticky enough. Especially when I tried it with metal car ramps. I made ramps using stacked 2 x 6's. I can get the RT to climb up onto the ramps for the front wheels by rocking back and forth. Once on the first plank the weight will hold the ramp in place. Trying to climb onto three ramps didn't work though! The rear wheel tended to grip the ramp and then slid it on the concrete floor and shot it out from under the front of the RT! I'm trying to figure out how to keep all three ramps locked together. Then I can ride up with all three wheels.

I have run the front wheels up on the ramps and then jacked up the back end using a hi-lift under the hitch and then setting the rear tire onto a concrete block. But that process is a lot more precarious than I care for!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I got to try out a couple of new items this past weekend. I had purchased a set of the Black Widow ramps (6 1/2" lift) as well as a Pitbull motorcycle lift. Since I'm a new RTL owner and had never lifted a Spyder before, I decided to place the ramps behind the front tires and then back up on them. That allowed me some room to be able to get down on the concrete floor and get a very good look at exactly where I wanted to put the PB lift, without damaging anything under the bike. Once I figured that out, I used the lift to raise the bike and go ahead and proceed with doing the BajaRon sway bar install. I'm very happy with both the ramps and the lift.....and even happier with the improvement of handling of the bike with the new sway bar.

Oh, and BTW....the Pitbull lift will extend enough to get right at 25" of height.