Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default AAA Thanks for nothing

We took a ride to Mesquite, NV today to align a Spyder and we were about 5 miles from home when I hit a giant chunk of metal with my rear tire. I was in the left turn lane and when traffic started to move in front of me - wham- there it was in the middle of the lane and I had nowhere to go. I turned the corner and within 100 yds my rear tire was flat. I managed to pull off the street into the parking lot of an auto repair shop. We had tools and a jack but the metal put a giant gash in the side wall of the tire so there was no way to patch it.

This happened at 4:30 pm. I called AAA and they took down all the info and said that they would call me with an eta. I made it very clear to them that I was on a 3 wheeled motorcycle and that I also had a pull behind trailer. I told her it was about as long as a full sized pick up truck and that I needed a flat bed. A short time later they called and said that a truck would be there in 30 minutes. 45 minutes later no truck so I call back and they said that the truck had come and they couldn't find me. Seems that the dispatcher was dyslexic and she had transposed the street number and the direction and she changed Blvd. to Pkwy. All of that put the truck about 20 miles south of where I was. Then she mentioned that the truck wouldn't have been big enough. She said wait and we will call you back with a new eta.

The auto shop people were very nice and they let us sit inside while we waited, it was 95 degrees outside, but it was closing time and they wanted to go home. We were getting nowhere with AAA, they insisted that my Spyder and RT-622 were too long for a flatbed, when the auto shop guy said he had a friend with a flatbed. He called his friend who came to the rescue. AAA finally called me at 7:45 to say that they had found a truck. It is never a good feeling to watch your Spyder be hoisted up on a wrecker.

While I was waiting for the wrecker I enjoyed a Diet Coke with Joe

The Good news was these were sitting on the front porch when I got home We got home about 9:30.

(Sorry the pictures are sideways but I didn't have the best evening)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 06-03-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I'm glade you finally got home
    Good news is the new tires arrived just in time
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Default You musta done something nasty to have brought that on yourself!!

Looks like either that or the pot-hole gremlins got you!!

Cos it's pretty obvious - as soon as they worked out you were replacing the tyre they'd taken some time to got comfortable with, they acted to stuff up your day!!

At least the auto shop people were nice about it, your day could've been a lot worse if they weren't!!

And the tyre didn't fail in a way that damaged anything else... (did it?) so with the replacements on the front porch & the nice auto shop people, it was a better day than it could've been!

Glad you're OK, & not still stuck out there.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

Glad you were able to get off the road safely. Seems you found a good place to sit it out. Great guy to pitch in... Kinda ruins the mileage issue for that one...and it was doing well.. AAA is only as good as where you happen to be...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Question Hmm!

What I want to know is......how in the hell is that coke staying in the bottle?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your problems with AAA. That is the one issue I have had with them is the other person on the phone. The last time I had one I finally told the woman to just tell the tow truck driver the mile marker number on the hwy after arguing with her for 10 min about where I was.
    When he showed up I asked him if he had any issue finding me. He said no since I gave him the marker number.

Good timing on the tires arriving

What brand did you go with?
    You should be set for Alaska now

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Location

Too bad that they made you wait so long. I've talked to the drivers before and they aren't too happy to get the CAA calls because they get less money than if they take a call from someone who doesn't have CAA. Might be same thing happening in the states. I have an app for Android on my phone called "Where am I ". It will give you coordinates where you are and you can give that to AAA.

Spyder Garage

SpyderAnne01,

Glad you finally made it home okay. I know how it feels waiting for AAA.

HVACR,

Does your screen name stand for heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration? Just curious because I was in that field years ago.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i'm a premium member with aaa & they have told me my spyder is not covered, it is a motorcycle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i'm a premium member with aaa & they have told me my spyder is not covered, it is a motorcycle
    I called AAA about my membership when I bought the Spyder and was told I would have to upgrade my membership to cover it -- bummer. At least my B.E.S.T. warranty covers roadside assistance.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Triple A is not what it used to be. Too bad....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Well the good news is look at the beautiful Yokahama S Drive tire you will be putting on just in time for Alaska!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    My spyder is covered under AAA Premier + RV.

Spyder Garage

Default AAA

If you have RV coverage with AAA your bike is covered.....but just to be sure I carry towing on my regular insurance....

Glad to hear it all worked out for you Anne, even if you had to wait a while.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear your tale of woe! I'm just hoping that my AMA membership bene comes through when I need that kind of help.

Where do you order tires from?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We took a ride to Mesquite, NV today to align a Spyder and we were about 5 miles from home when I hit a giant chunk of metal with my rear tire. I was in the left turn lane and when traffic started to move in front of me - wham- there it was in the middle of the lane and I had nowhere to go. I turned the corner and within 100 yds my rear tire was flat. I managed to pull off the street into the parking lot of an auto repair shop. We had tools and a jack but the metal put a giant gash in the side wall of the tire so there was no way to patch it.

This happened at 4:30 pm. I called AAA and they took down all the info and said that they would call me with an eta. I made it very clear to them that I was on a 3 wheeled motorcycle and that I also had a pull behind trailer. I told her it was about as long as a full sized pick up truck and that I needed a flat bed. A short time later they called and said that a truck would be there in 30 minutes. 45 minutes later no truck so I call back and they said that the truck had come and they couldn't find me. Seems that the dispatcher was dyslexic and she had transposed the street number and the direction and she changed Blvd. to Pkwy. All of that put the truck about 20 miles south of where I was. Then she mentioned that the truck wouldn't have been big enough. She said wait and we will call you back with a new eta.

The auto shop people were very nice and they let us sit inside while we waited, it was 95 degrees outside, but it was closing time and they wanted to go home. We were getting nowhere with AAA, they insisted that my Spyder and RT-622 were too long for a flatbed, when the auto shop guy said he had a friend with a flatbed. He called his friend who came to the rescue. AAA finally called me at 7:45 to say that they had found a truck. It is never a good feeling to watch your Spyder be hoisted up on a wrecker.

While I was waiting for the wrecker I enjoyed a Diet Coke with Joe

The Good news was these were sitting on the front porch when I got home We got home about 9:30.

(Sorry the pictures are sideways but I didn't have the best evening)
    Sorry to hear about your woes. It is very unfortunate, but customer service has almost disappeared from this world??? One question, how did you have a replacement tire at your door so fast when you got home????
    BIG F

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Aaa

Ama is the way to go 😀

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Sorry to hear about your woes. It is very unfortunate, but customer service has almost disappeared from this world??? One question, how did you have a replacement tire at your door so fast when you got home????
    BIG F
    I can answer that
    Because in another thread she said she had ordered the tire a week ago or so to replace the Kuhmo that is about worn out.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is way to much crap on the roads and you never know when something will take you down..

I have seen all kinds of things flying off trucks,cars etc. it makes it dangerous for us out there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    There is way to much crap on the roads and you never know when something will take you down..

I have seen all kinds of things flying off trucks,cars etc.
    It's the retreads laying in the road that scare the hell out of me e.g. I guess some call them Gator's.
    I would not want to hit one of those on a Spyder! Would probably do a lot of other damage!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER + TRAILER + TOW TRUCK

Ann, every flat bed Tow truck I've ever seen has a BED at Least 100 inches wide.( inside the rails ) and 20 ft. long. So dis-connecting the trailer and putting it on alongside and just behind the Spyder will give you plenty of room......Just a thought in dealing with this if you have to again. Glad you met some nice people............Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you got home Ok. Looks like Joe has some work to do today. AAA does have a hard time with directions, sometimes you wonder if you are speaking clearly.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Glad you got home, safely, and weren't hurt . . . I carry the B.E.S.T. but also have roadside assistance with GEICO, just in case.

AAA was good when they were the only guy in town, but they have so much competition, now (like every insurance company) that they have slipped, a lot, unfortunately. Also, it sounds like the office idiot answered when you called . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default I changed to Good Sam Roadside Assist

AAA has gone downhill, quickly. Especially if out of area...I switched to Good Sam (haven't had to use yet...but others I talk to swear by them)....when I broke down in TN a couple years back...AAA gave me fits...but with enough coffee and time they came through...but not before I found a WA rep and he said...will you pay, save receipts as soon as you get home we will send you a check. I did and they did...but TN . AAA kept saying stuff I wasn't going to accept.
    But the good news is you are home, new tire "in hand" and by now Joe busy getting that 'puppy' on!! See you soooooon...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well the good news is that this didn't happen AFTER you had put the new tire on or a day or 2 before leaving on the trip to Alaska. The old tire was done anyway.
    happens but it could have happened at a worse time and there was no other damage (I hope).
    Relying on AAA or roadside assistance is a scarry proposition at best.
    Happy it turned out as well as it did.

Gary
    States visited by Bike