Spyder Garage

Default F3 Ltd Rear Fender Extension

Like many others, I carry a tubeless tire repair kit in my saddlebag (which I've had to use twice on other bikes). After looking at my rear tire yesterday I realized that if I had to plug it due to a puncture access is very limited. The answer, remove the rear fender extension which gives you a clear shot to work on the tire! The service manual shows it to be a very easy and quick procedure. HAH! Easy to remove but tricky reinstalling. Of course, the first time is always the hardest but I didn't want the first time to be on the side of the road. My advice to all you F3 Ltd owners with this type rear fender - do it at home first
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Howdy;

That's the first thang that's coming off - and Staying off - my F3L when it arrives (sometime during this epoch).

Seriously - you see these Bobbers n'sich runnin' around all nekkid - how bad can it be, lol. Looks goofy too.

Cheers
    E

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

It is crazy that with that mud flap on you pretty much have to lay on the ground to check the tread on your tire. If I had to make a road side repair I’d probably just throw that piece in a bag and reinstall it somewhere else.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It is crazy that with that mud flap on you pretty much have to lay on the ground to check the tread on your tire. If I had to make a road side repair I’d probably just throw that piece in a bag and reinstall it somewhere else.
    My thinking exactly but definitely worth having. Absolutely must come off to make a repair however.
    2019 F3 Limited

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Can anyone detail getting that derned "mudguard" thing off. I cannot get anything to unsnap and pull down, it's tougher than a high school girl in the fifties?????
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Can anyone detail getting that f**cking "mudguard" thing off. I cannot get anything to unsnap and pull down, it's tougher than a high school girl in the fifties?????
    Rattle, it's really no problem once you've done it. First remove the two push pins, one on either side, by unscrewing the center pin and then removing the remainder with your push-pin pliers (or what ever you have on hand). Next, push the fender extension in towards the tire on each side and along the lower edge to break it free from the upper fender (there are pins on the upper fender that you can't see that go through cut-outs in the lower extension). Once you break it loose you can pull down on the extension and it will come loose. That's the easy part. Reinstalling the lower extension is a bixxch however. Feel for the pins along the inside edge of the upper fender so you know where they are. I got the upper ears of the extension located first and put the push pins back in. Then I was able to push the upper and lower fenders together at the pin locations by squeezing my hand up in there to use pressure from both sides. Some may be willing to do without the extension but I think it's worth having and will continue to use it. As SpyderAnn said, if you have to remove it to do a roadside repair, stick it somewhere and reinstall later. Not a job for the side of the road. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Rattle, it's really no problem once you've done it. First remove the two push pins, one on either side, by unscrewing the center pin and then removing the remainder with your push-pin pliers (or what ever you have on hand). Next, push the fender extension in towards the tire on each side and along the lower edge to break it free from the upper fender (there are pins on the upper fender that you can't see that go through cut-outs in the lower extension). Once you break it loose you can pull down on the extension and it will come loose. That's the easy part. Reinstalling the lower extension is a bixxch however. Feel for the pins along the inside edge of the upper fender so you know where they are. I got the upper ears of the extension located first and put the push pins back in. Then I was able to push the upper and lower fenders together at the pin locations by squeezing my hand up in there to use pressure from both sides. Some may be willing to do without the extension but I think it's worth having and will continue to use it. As SpyderAnn said, if you have to remove it to do a roadside repair, stick it somewhere and reinstall later. Not a job for the side of the road. Hope this helps.
    Howdy;

You've said twice that you think it's beneficial to leave on, but you never mentioned "why".

Just curious. I'll gladly defer to you on the flap's efficacy. You may yet talk me out of sawzalling it off! lol

cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Howdy;

You've said twice that you think it's beneficial to leave on, but you never mentioned "why".

Just curious. I'll gladly defer to you on the flap's efficacy. You may yet talk me out of sawzalling it off! lol

cheers
    E
    Other threads mention the filth that collects under the bags and seat, migrates up to the top of the fender, passenger and seat. I don't know. If I can get it off..

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Thanks. I've tried, but the whole assembly hits the tire long before anything pops loose. Will try again. I'm trying to get a belt up and over the tire for a tie down like Mike does but on the F3T it's thus far impossible to do with all the bags and fenders in the way. I may have devised another solution, but it would be nice to get there with the mudguard off.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Other threads mention the filth that collects under the bags and seat, migrates up to the top of the fender, passenger and seat. I don't know. If I can get it off..
    Thanks fer that. Something to ponder, reckon. I too want to adopt the strap over the tire method.

I'll remove, assess the spooge buildup and go from there.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

My son managed to get it off today. (a) I'm gonna put it back on and video my (b) method of getting a belt over the back wheel with mudguard in place. Then I will (c) remove it again and (d) feed the belt with it removed which looks to be much easier. The tire looks great and I do like the bobbed appearance. I will leave it off for awhile to see if there is a problem with dirt. I may just cut the thing at the engineered seam and just try that as well. Should not be too much of a problem to put the lower flap back on with some screws.

Video of (a) (b) (c) and (d) will follow.

tail1.jpg
    tail2.jpg