Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPAP thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Default CPAP thoughts?

My wife was forwarded to a CPAP clinic by her doctor. Clinic suggested that she needed to wear one based upon 24 test data. So she purchased one. She just went to a doctor prescribed Sleep Apnia Clinic and the doctor questioned whether she needed one or not. Are CPAP clinics just “sell to everyone?” Based upon clinic questionnaire she was not symptomatic of sleep apnia, but clinic test data said her breathing stopped 43 times in one hour (max) while sleeping.....

Insurance paid for her machine but wondering if this is real or hocus pocus?

Spyder Garage

Geep....I've been a CPAP user for 25+ years. Go to a doctor you trust...my sleep test was preformed at a sleep center in a hospital...full trust the results. I now use a ResMed S9Auto machine and the cpap therapy has certainly extended my lifespan. It is real. Best of luck.

Spyder Garage

I would go with the clinic test data because it is measurable and not based on opinion like a questionnaire. Obviously I don't know you, so please don't take it personal. Most people will not admit to having any kind of health problem, so filling out a questionnaire and not being honest is a waste of time. Two years ago, I was diagnosed with as my doctor put it, "severe sleep apnea" after doing a weekend sleep study. It took me several years to admit to myself that I had an issue. But, I had all of the symptoms. I would snore so loud that my wife would not sleep in the same room, I would even stop breathing for sometimes 20 to 30 seconds. I would wake up 5 to 6 times a night between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am, sometimes with severe anxiety, I stayed tired all the time and would often fall asleep at my desk at work. Most times driving home from work I could easily fall asleep while driving. I couldn't watch TV for more than an hour without falling asleep in my chair. I got my CPAP machine and it took about a month or so before I could wear it for the whole night. I would start with an hour and I would take it off. Gradually I was able to wear it all night. Let me tell you, it was the best thing that has happened for me in a long time. I now sleep 7-8 hours a night without waking up. I am no longer tired during the day and don't fall asleep while driving or watching TV. Please tell your wife to give the CPAP a chance, she will not be sorry. Sorry if I was long winded.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    Spyderpops LED Bumpskid
    LED headlights and fog lights

Spyder Garage

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea in 1999 and started wearing a CPAP. Insurance did not cover the test or the machine at that time. I felt the difference in a few days and can no longer sleep without one. I have been retested at least twice since the original test with a continuing sleep apnea diagnosis. I never had any trouble wearing a mask. My tests were all done in a hospital in a sleep clinic by trained sleep technicians. If you are not sure of your wife's results then get a second opinion. Always a good idea. I don't think I would be alive today if I didn't have my CPAP machine.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Like others, I owe my life to my CPAP. It's a "love, hate" relationship but one that I stay with faithfully. I love being able to sleep and not calling asleep at the wrong time......like while driving!

My new machine uploads data that I can access to see my sleep times, how many apnea episodes a night, etc. If your wife's machine is capable of that, you will be able to see the info each day for yourselves.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

The CPAP works great. Takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, it is fantastic! A proper sleep study takes all night, and after the CPAP is in use, take a follow up appointment to make sure everything is optimized.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I fought my family for years regarding my sleep apnea; told 'em if I wanted to wear a face mask I'd have been a fighter pilot. Then I learned sleep apnea contributes to afib which I had so bad that it took two major ablation procedures to fix. I went through the sleep test routine and learned I had apnea so bad I was prescribed a BIPAP machine, one that has two different pressures that switch automatically with my breathing. I'm almost through my third year with it now and wouldn't be without it. The only pain about it is it and distilled water take up the left saddlebag on my Spyder but I can live with that. I sleep and feel so much better than before getting it. It uploads all the data too and confirms there's no gadget placebo effect with me.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hell, you've the Army-Marine team agreeing. That should sell any nonbelievers.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I very reluctantly was tested. Wife forced me into it. I averaged 66 episodes each hour. I don't use a mask but have nose pillows. Been 2 years now and I average less than 1 episode per hour. Snoring, tiredness, waking multiple times.....all gone. I had no problems immediately adjusting to the machine. Might have been more of an adjustment with a mask. I don't know. But I get along just fine with the pillows. Would not be without the CPAP..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know I have Sleep Apnea ….. So what are you folks using for a machine and Why ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

The CPAP works great. Takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, it is fantastic! A proper sleep study takes all night, and after the CPAP is in use, take a follow up appointment to make sure everything is optimized.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Mine is a ResMed Air 10 but it's BIPAP. The sleep study doctor said I had to have it. See post #7. FWIW, if you're on Medicare, Medicare will pay for the rent of the machine for a year and they track your usage like a hawk for the first 90 days and then less frequently. If you use the machine the required amount of time, whatever that is, for the year then the machine is yours and Medicare pays for replacement consumables like filters, hoses, mask cushions and nose plugs.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Mine is a ResMed Air 10 but it's BIPAP. The sleep study doctor said I had to have it. See post #7. FWIW, if you're on Medicare, Medicare will pay for the rent of the machine for a year and they track your usage like a hawk for the first 90 days and then less frequently. If you use the machine the required amount of time, whatever that is, for the year then the machine is yours and Medicare pays for replacement consumables like filters, hoses, mask cushions and nose plugs.
    ......……….Thanks ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

It is amazing what the Cpap machine does. Been using mine about a year. Takes a while to get used to it but it certainly helps me. Course I’m 76 and glad to still be here and still enjoy my RTL.
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I'm also using a ResMed Air Sense 10. No complaints. The machine is as quiet as you can expect one to be, has adjustable humidity level and adjustable ramp up time.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......……….Thanks ….. Mike
    Oh, Mike, I forgot one important point. I, and I assume most Medicare patients have to see the sleep doctor once a year for a "how goes it" at which time the doctor writes a new prescription to the medical equipment provider for another year of consumables.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Mine is also now a BiPAP. I did not have any adjustment time, I put on the mask, went to bed and never looked back. One of the best things I every did.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The other elephant in the room is that: not being diagnosed and/or not using a machine when you have symptoms, is a penchant to get an enlarged heart, and that is not in your best health interests.

Spyder Garage

I just migrated from a Respironics C-Flex CPAP to a ResMed S-10 BiPaP. Medicare pays the bill for the machine and consumables.
    The sleep study defines the pressure settings needed to create the proper Oxygen saturation for your specific needs.
    I'm a mouth breather so I use a full face mask. With the proper setting the results are amazing. The S10 is very quiet.
    I built a battery pack and take the BiPaP camping. The machine takes up very little space in the tail box on my Spyder.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sleep Apnea

There are two different types of sleep apnea:

Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common and, as its name implies, the airway is obstructed. Snoring is generally a good sign.

Central sleep apnea may, or may not, have snoring associated with it. You would still have the apneic periods, but this is a "brain" issue. Can be associated with traumatic brain injury (TBI).

The best diagnostic tool is the split-night study. The apneas are recorded and the patient is awakened and put on a CPAP machine and "titrated" up to the level where apneas are minimized or eliminated.
    Last edited by SpyderConvert; 06-01-2019 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Additional information
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Wow it's amazing how much Non - Spyder stuff you can get here ……… keep the info coming …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike don't wait till you wake up in the ditch with your bike like I did. The best thing I ever did was get my CPAP machine. My right saddle bag is the perfect size for my machine. Distilled water is a $1 or less a gallon.Cheaper than most sodas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    My wife was forwarded to a CPAP clinic by her doctor. Clinic suggested that she needed to wear one based upon 24 test data. So she purchased one. She just went to a doctor prescribed Sleep Apnia Clinic and the doctor questioned whether she needed one or not. Are CPAP clinics just “sell to everyone?” Based upon clinic questionnaire she was not symptomatic of sleep apnia, but clinic test data said her breathing stopped 43 times in one hour (max) while sleeping.....

Insurance paid for her machine but wondering if this is real or hocus pocus?
    It's not a scam. Sleep apnea is a very real and serious health condition and the right CPAP machine can make a world of difference. The VA issued me a CPAP machine 7 years ago and I use it religiously. I'm on my 3rd now and it's a Phillips Respironics Dreamstation. I've tried different masks and nose pillows and found the RedMed Airfit N20 the most comfortable.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I use a Resmed Airsense 10 auto along with a SoClean2 CPAP cleaner for every day use.
    For traveling on the bike I picked up a Resmed Air mini https://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-a...l-cpap-machine

They do work! T.P.

Spyder Garage

I use a Resmed S9 w/heated tube. Going on 12 years with a CPAP. Huge difference since using it. I avg 1 event per hour with the CPAP.
    2019 F3-S SE6
    Elka Stage 2 Front and Rear w/HYD
    Can-am Dragbar
    F4 Custom 28" Windscreen
    GTR Lighting LED Headlights
    Arc Led Auxiliary lights
    Signature Light
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Akrapovic Sinister Silencer
    FOBO 2 Trike TPMS
    Motorcycle Dave Gel inserts Rider and Passenger
    Foam Grips