Spyder Garage

Default 270 Miles on My Ryker Yesterday!

Ok, not a Guinness Book entry. But 270 miles of some of the most beautiful and fun riding available. I rode up 321 through the Cherokee National Park, Watauga Lake, Boone NC, etc. Mountainous, and lots of windy curves. It is the 1st chance I've had to put the new Ryker Sway Bar upgrade through it's paces on an extended ride like this with continual twisty roads. This is the kind of riding it takes to really get used to a suspension change and see how much improvement it actually makes. It was a BLAST!

I also did a mileage test. Not extremely scientific but a good run. I am very careful to fill to the very top. This really helps to give an accurate MPG estimate. I went 174 miles on just less than 4.8 gallons. I rounded up the gallons. But not enough to significantly affect the end result. And these are GPS miles. Not odometer miles (which can be a bit less accurate). This comes out to 36.25 MPG average. Not too bad for riding farely hard in the mountains. Though about 90 miles of the total ride were on relatively level highway. A good mix, I'd say.

I was a bit surprised that I got 174 miles and I still had 1 fuel bar left. I was actually hoping to get that last bar gone to see how much fuel it would take to get back to full. Then I would know how much fuel was left when I lost the last bar. But in that neighborhood, once you go west out of Boone (where I got fuel at the west end of town). You can end up going a long way before you find fuel again. I'm not too smart, but I decided not to push it any further than I did.

I run premium fuel in my Ryker. Non-ethanol whenever I can. I believe this gives me better fuel mileage, though I have not tested this theory on the Ryker like I did on my Spyder.

I do seem to be getting better mileage as the engine breaks in. I was getting right at 30 MPG in the beginning.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-19-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My bar will be here tomorrow. I'll give it one hell of a test next Saturday
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    My bar will be here tomorrow. I'll give it one hell of a test next Saturday
    Awesome! Test away! I think you're going to love it! It's amazing what a bit of steel can do!

Spyder Garage

I got 300 miles on mine and I’m getting 32 mpg on my 900. My wife is getting like 40+ on her 600! I use strictly 93 in both.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Ok, not a Guinness Book entry. But 270 miles of some of the most beautiful and fun riding available. I rode up 321 through the Cherokee National Park, Watauga Lake, Boone NC, etc. Mountainous, and lots of windy curves. It is the 1st chance I've had to put the new Ryker Sway Bar upgrade through it's paces on an extended ride like this with continual twisty roads. This is the kind of riding it takes to really get used to a suspension change and see how much improvement it actually makes. It was a BLAST!

I also did a mileage test. Not extremely scientific but a good run. I am very careful to fill to the very top. This really helps to give an accurate MPG estimate. I went 174 miles on just less than 4.8 gallons. I rounded up the gallons. But not enough to significantly affect the end result. And these are GPS miles. Not odometer miles (which can be a bit less accurate). This comes out to 36.25 MPG average. Not too bad for riding farely hard in the mountains. Though about 90 miles of the total ride were on relatively level highway. A good mix, I'd say.

I was a bit surprised that I got 174 miles and I still had 1 fuel bar left. I was actually hoping to get that last bar gone to see how much fuel it would take to get back to full. Then I would know how much fuel was left when I lost the last bar. But in that neighborhood, once you go west out of Boone (where I got fuel at the west end of town). You can end up going a long way before you find fuel again. I'm not too smart, but I decided not to push it any further than I did.

I run premium fuel in my Ryker. Non-ethanol whenever I can. I believe this gives me better fuel mileage, though I have not tested this theory on the Ryker like I did on my Spyder.

I do seem to be getting better mileage as the engine breaks in. I was getting right at 30 MPG in the beginning.
    I was suppose to get the new bar yesterday, but the Post Office screwed up so now it's coming tomorrow. Looking forward to doing some wrenching.

Spyder Garage

Bar came on time but a rock in the radiator has put it on hold for a few days
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, sounds like a great ride. Completely jealous. When I was a kid my dad went to college in Boone and we lived in Valle Crucis NC. It was so far in the past that we actually got our mail at the Mast general store.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    BajaRon, sounds like a great ride. Completely jealous. When I was a kid my dad went to college in Boone and we lived in Valle Crucis NC. It was so far in the past that we actually got our mail at the Mast general store.
    There is the old Boone, and the new Boone. It's like going back 70 years in a few hundred yards.

Did the same ride again this week. Absolutely beautiful! Got wet both times coming home. Fortunately, it was early enough in the ride that I was dry by the time I got home. Got to find that rain gear!

Drenched.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-26-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Is the sway bar something an average mechanic can install or should it be left to the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmbenge View Post
    Is the sway bar something an average mechanic can install or should it be left to the dealer?
    I’m no mechanic and I put 2 of them on.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmbenge View Post
    The BajaRon sway bar you can do yourself. The upgraded Can-am sway bar is a different story and you would need your dealer to do it at $200-$300 in a labor charge.