Spyder Garage

Default I think this just might work...

Every summer I tore the Western States and always have a concern that I might not make it to the next gas station. I'm thinking this might work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Is that resting/affixed to the swing arm(?). If so, would the vibration from that cause any extra sloshing of the gas...I'm not sure if that even matters. What about scratching the upper plastic of the swing arm?
    2019 Can-Am Ryker 900 RE
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To each his own. I would not do it. I think a lot of things could easily go wrong with this setup.

I've never had a problem getting from one gas station to another. And I've been back and forth across the US more than once. The key is to get the fuel tank full. I think very few actually do this.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    Every summer I tore the Western States and always have a concern that I might not make it to the next gas station. I'm thinking this might work.
    I'm pretty sure that two things will occur Gas expands from heat from the sun ….. shaking that container may also cause it to expand …. Lashing it down securely will be necessary ………….and then you have un-lash it to use it ………… I carry 1.5 liters ( or almost 1/2 gal ) of gas in a " Burnetts " plastic Gin container in my frunk..... never any drips or even smell ( the cap is made to be safe with alcohol ). My 1330 engine will go about 18 miles if I run out...… Yes it's dangerous to carry spare gas , but there is lot more gas in your Fuel tank and No one worries about that !!!! …...…….jmho …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... Yes it's dangerous to carry spare gas , but there is lot more gas in your Fuel tank and No one worries about that !!!! …...…….jmho …. good luck …. Mike
    True, but they don't strap your main tank to the drive shaft/swing arm either.

Just saying; gasoline is serious stuff. You really don't want to find out what can go wrong with it.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I rode across the country from Las Vegas to New York in 2017 and was NEVER close to running out of gas. When you get to 100 miles start looking for gas. You could even get the Gas Buddy app for your phone.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

NO WAY. Don't strap anything on the drive shaft

Spyder Garage

I'm with Kid! I wouldn't be strapping ANYTHING to the driveshaft, especially not gas & doubly so not in a 'not quite as strong as steel' container! Others are worrying about the damage that rocks & gravel will do to the metal shock & the underside of the Ryker, & you're considering fitting a placcy fuel container?! And how will that lashing ever prevent the tall thin container from falling off its narrow perch & in onto the wheel or getting crushed under the seat when you hit a big bump & the arm gets pounded up onto the stop?

Another consideration, putting extra weight there on top of the driveshaft/sole suspension arm will be a significant increase to your unsprung weight, so it'll be extra hard for the shock & coils spring to control the movement, potentially overheating things as well as upsetting your ride & handling, & quite likely changing the Ryker's behaviour fairly significantly - and not for the better!

I don't think it's such a great idea..... but if you were to strap that container onto the left side of the max mount so it's up out of the way.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-14-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    True, but they don't strap your main tank to the drive shaft/swing arm either.

Just saying; gasoline is serious stuff. You really don't want to find out what can go wrong with it.
    Interesting Ron , you seem to take most of what I post here -" out of context " ….and Quote a piece of what I posted ….. I'm curious why ???? ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Interesting Ron , you seem to take most of what I post here -" out of context " ….and Quote a piece of what I posted ….. I'm curious why ???? ….. Mike
    He's trying to get a job with CNN...

Spyder Garage

Sometimes I quote the entire post and just highlight what I am commenting on. I guess I should do that all the time. But I figured you'd know in what context you posted, so I just pulled out the statement I wanted to reference.

I assumed your original point to be that since there is 6 gallons or so of fuel in the designed fuel tank, it's no big deal to add a lesser amount of fuel somewhere else.

My point is that potential hazard lies not so much in the amount of fuel stored, but in the location, method of attachment, and container used. This has a lot to do with potential for something to go wrong. The designed fuel tank on most vehicles is a very safe place to store fuel.

I assume you are encouraging the OP to go for it. I want to encourage the OP to re-think his project. Just 2 opinions. His decision. Anything more or less than this was unintentional and I apologize if I went about this the wrong way. I'm definitely not here to make anyone upset.

In my years in the fire service I saw what someone thought was a good idea for transporting fuel. I think this OP's idea is a bad one. I could be wrong. It's his decision. But I'd hate for him to find out that I was right. I don't want to see anyone hurt. Running out of fuel and getting a tow or paying someone to bring you fuel can sometimes be the better option.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-14-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

we ride on the HALF TANK RULE.... we start looking for a gas station once we are at half full... also, if we stop for a rest-room, or water or anything else and the place has gas, we fill up regardless of how far we've traveled since the previous fill-up....

Spyder Garage

First, the RotopaX fuel containers are bullet proof, not thin plastic, used by dirt bikers and off-road 4 wheeler's alike, and they do not leak under pressure. No problem there. BUT, I'd also think twice about tying one on with a bungee cord, regardless of where it was placed. I'm not sure the one in question is actually mounted to the swing arm but even if not, it is too close to the swing arm and tire. And if you travel in the west (West Texas comes to mind...) there are stretches where there is no gas for 100 miles. Same goes for the Alaska Highway (any number of the gas points that were there on my first trip are now closed.) So even with a 200 mile range, I never pass up fuel when it goes below 1/2.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes I quote the entire post and just highlight what I am commenting on. I guess I should do that all the time. But I figured you'd know in what context you posted, so I just pulled out the statement I wanted to reference.

I assumed your original point to be that since there is 6 gallons or so of fuel in the designed fuel tank, it's no big deal to add a lesser amount of fuel somewhere else.

My point is that potential hazard lies not so much in the amount of fuel stored, but in the location, method of attachment, and container used. This has a lot to do with potential for something to go wrong. The designed fuel tank on most vehicles is a very safe place to store fuel.

I assume you are encouraging the OP to go for it. I want to encourage the OP to re-think his project. Just 2 opinions. His decision. Anything more or less than this was unintentional and I apologize if I went about this the wrong way. I'm definitely not here to make anyone upset.

In my years in the fire service I saw what someone thought was a good idea for transporting fuel. I think this OP's idea is a bad one. I could be wrong. It's his decision. But I'd hate for him to find out that I was right. I don't want to see anyone hurt. Running out of fuel and getting a tow or paying someone to bring you fuel can sometimes be the better option.
    I appreciate your responding to my comment about your post QUOTING me …. #1. your 4th paragraph … " I Assume " - well you Assumed wrong. I wasn't encouraging the OP to do what He asked about. My first two sentences addressed Expanding fuel, this is dangerous for a lot of reasons. I fail to see " encouragement " there..... #2. - From the photo's I couldn't tell what or how it was attached. I didn't even recognize it was a Ryker..... # 3. I stated it was Dangerous to carry extra separate Fuel …. #4.- I only stated what I did to prevent getting stuck without gas. …… I could show you hundred's or even thousands of Photo's of what Has happened when a Veh's " OEM " safety gas tank " explodes and catches fire...… and if you happen to be of the opinion that the OEM Spyder gas can't or won't in a severe accident - well good luck with that ……. I hope this post Clarifies things for you ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

I appreciate your responding to my comment about your post QUOTING me …. #1. your 4th paragraph … " I Assume " - well you Assumed wrong. I wasn't encouraging the OP to do what He asked about. My first two sentences addressed Expanding fuel, this is dangerous for a lot of reasons. I fail to see " encouragement " there..... #2. - From the photo's I couldn't tell what or how it was attached. I didn't even recognize it was a Ryker..... # 3. I stated it was Dangerous to carry extra separate Fuel …. #4.- I only stated what I did to prevent getting stuck without gas. …… I could show you hundred's or even thousands of Photo's of what Has happened when a Veh's " OEM " safety gas tank " explodes and catches fire...… and if you happen to be of the opinion that the OEM Spyder gas can't or won't in a severe accident - well good luck with that ……. I hope this post Clarifies things for you ……. Mike
    I would pull my posts, but you can't do that anymore. So I'm left with an apology as my only option. I am sorry.

Spyder Garage

Default I would not....

Nice Idea but not the best place. True those are tough gas containers and used by off roaders on rough terrain but they are attatched to a fixed location. The swing arm is not that and would be stressing the mounting system to where you may be waring through, cutting into or breaking the container. You could make a bracket off the frame or seat mounting the gas container to it allowing the swing arm full movement and keeping the container moving pretty much the same as you and your normal gas tank... I always look for a station when warning light comes on and carry a liter metal fuel container in case but have never had to use it. When ever we stop to rest and eat I will top off and always try to start off with a full tank.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Looks dangerous. I would not do that. Instead, carry a siphon hose. We have carried one for years, and never needed it.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

+1 and maybe include the same gas can...empty
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I see you do not have the right side bag. Perhaps if you got the bracket for the side bag that would provide a much improved mounting option for the fuel container.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I would pull my posts, but you can't do that anymore. So I'm left with an apology as my only option. I am sorry.
    I understand that dilemma , I have wanted to pull posts also ….. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd apology accepted, …. the written word leaves lots to be desired. It appears in todays world when you, me or anyone makes even a simple statement, it has to be followed by 20 more " Clarifying " statements so the orig. isn't mis-construed. I have always felt … face to face verbalization to be best ……. Thanks …. PS before the new Administration arrived there were Very many folks who claimed to read minds …. and would then post what you REALLY said ........ there isn't much of that here anymore, and I don't miss it even one bit ……… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Looks dangerous. I would not do that. Instead, carry a siphon hose. We have carried one for years, and never needed it.
    That's what I carry..... plus a fuel transfer container. The siphon hose is compact. Clear plastic tubing with a squeeze bulb in the middle. Cheap at any auto parts store. My fuel transfer container is a 1-gallon freezer ziplock bag. I have never needed to use either. But they are part of my regular spares on the bike. Together they might weigh 1/2 pound..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    First, the RotopaX fuel containers are bullet proof, not thin plastic, used by dirt bikers and off-road 4 wheeler's alike, and they do not leak under pressure. No problem there. BUT, I'd also think twice about tying one on with a bungee cord, regardless of where it was placed. I'm not sure the one in question is actually mounted to the swing arm but even if not, it is too close to the swing arm and tire. And if you travel in the west (West Texas comes to mind...) there are stretches where there is no gas for 100 miles. Same goes for the Alaska Highway (any number of the gas points that were there on my first trip are now closed.) So even with a 200 mile range, I never pass up fuel when it goes below 1/2.

I agree with that. I have a couple of those Rotopac containers. They are very tough. Never had one leak or slosh out. Alaska Highway, you will need extra fuel. Some of the larger National Forests you may have a problem getting fuel. Most of the country there are plenty of gas stops.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

It is easy and cheap to fix a strong Aluminium plate on the top of the mount-max - I wouldn`t see a problem to add a fuel-box under my topcase .. but you need a really strong shock on the back (I use the FOX also for 2up - maybe that fits also on the Rally ??
    (that story here looks more than dangorous for me )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats