Spyder Garage

Default RT622 Spare key question.

me with a second lock set to be used with a trailer if I ever got one and it is keyed to my ignitions keys. Here is my quandary, Do I buy a spare key and have it cut to fit the trailer or, do I try to install the new keyset that is already set to my ignition keys? I really don't like being this confused, but the more I think about it, the more confused I get. The procedure for swapping the key tumbler doesn't look that bad, BUT........thank you very much.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

If your in doubt, have the dealer quote you a price. It really shouldn’t be too bad. I’ve done 2 of them and if I recall it took me an hour each. I’m not a mechanic either.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    me with a second lock set to be used with a trailer if I ever got one and it is keyed to my ignitions keys. Here is my quandary, Do I buy a spare key and have it cut to fit the trailer or, do I try to install the new keyset that is already set to my ignition keys? I really don't like being this confused, but the more I think about it, the more confused I get. The procedure for swapping the key tumbler doesn't look that bad, BUT........thank you very much.
    A chip less blank spare is handy to have regardless & you can use as a dedicated trailer key. If you have a already matching tumbler to bike that is less keys to carry personally I keep a chip less spare on my person & trailer keys (trailer & hitch lock)on spare ring in frunk. Spares at house.
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Why carry two different keys? Install the second lock in the trailer, have an Ilco X270 blank cut to match your ignition key and beveled as shown in the photo so it can be used to open the frunk and you have a spare to carry wherever that will do everything but allow you to start the Spyder.

Ilco X270.jpg
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thank you Brentc, appreciate your insight and experience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Why carry two different keys? Install the second lock in the trailer, have an Ilco X270 blank cut to match your ignition key and beveled as shown in the photo so it can be used to open the frunk and you have a spare to carry wherever that will do everything but allow you to start the Spyder.

Ilco X270.jpg
    Very good, thanksJayBros., that did cross my mind. And it seems to make more sense reading it from someone else. I may have a solution. But why the bevel?

Spyder Garage

Very good, thanksJayBros., that did cross my mind. And it seems to make more sense reading it from someone else. I may have a solution. But why the bevel?
    The bevel is necessary because remember, to open the frunk with your chipped ignition key you must push the key down into the ignition switch and turn it CCW to unlock the frunk; however, without beveling the Ilco key it won't fit deep enough into the ignition switch to be turned CCW.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

FYI, here is a YouTube video that walks you through the process. Good luck

https://youtu.be/df6GC6dbo7M

Thank you Brentc, appreciate your insight and experience.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the explanation. Since I was thinking of a spare for my trailer, I wan't thinking about the ignition. Appreciate the explanation.

Spyder Garage

If you plan to keep the trailer any amount of time, swap the lock to match the Spyder. Retain the previous setup with the key. That way if you ever sell the Spyder seperate from the trailer, you can keep your matched lock set for the next owner.

When we got our RT622, the original owner allowed me to “borrow” his key so I could easily swap the lock to our matching set. I then left his key in the lock assembly and sent it back to him via priority mail. This allowed him to retain his matched setup.

The blessing in this will be that when we had the DESS upgraded, I was able to retain the original trailer lock and key, which I could offer with the trail I ever sell it.

I do need to get a couple of non chipped keys made, just in case the frunk accidentally closes or something similar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If you plan to keep the trailer any amount of time, swap the lock to match the Spyder. Retain the previous setup with the key. That way if you ever sell the Spyder seperate from the trailer, you can keep your matched lock set for the next owner.

When we got our RT622, the original owner allowed me to “borrow” his key so I could easily swap the lock to our matching set. I then left his key in the lock assembly and sent it back to him via priority mail. This allowed him to retain his matched setup.

The blessing in this will be that when we had the DESS upgraded, I was able to retain the original trailer lock and key, which I could offer with the trail I ever sell it.

I do need to get a couple of non chipped keys made, just in case the frunk accidentally closes or something similar.
    Great idea, thank you very much. I'm sure the seller will appreciate that also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    FYI, here is a YouTube video that walks you through the process. Good luck

https://youtu.be/df6GC6dbo7M

Brent, how does that work when you don't have the current key for the trailer? We bought a 622 used and it didn't come with a key. My wife's RT was also bought used and it didn't come with the spare cylinder. From that video, it almost looks like you have to have a key to remove the cylinder.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Just thought I would take the time to say thank you for the ideas on my Spare key questions. I had forgotten that a spare key cylinder came with my RT, so I installed that in my trailer followijng the videos on U-tube. It was much easier than I first thought when looking at the videos. Today I rode over to the local locksmith here in Jacksonville and for $15.00 got three copies on an Ilco X270 blank. Appreciate all the help, worked out very well.

Spyder Garage

Just thought I would take the time to say thank you for the ideas on my Spare key questions. I had forgotten that a spare key cylinder came with my RT, so I installed that in my trailer followijng the videos on U-tube. It was much easier than I first thought when looking at the videos. Today I rode over to the local locksmith here in Jacksonville and for $15.00 got three copies on an Ilco X270 blank. Appreciate all the help, worked out very well.
    To clarify, you now have the Spyder and Trailer keyed alike, and got a few spare non chip keys? Sounds great if so. Pretty easy task overall and certainly worthwhile.

Spyder Garage

Roger, just saw your post, sorry about that. I’ll be honest I am not sure, but I would hazard a guess that a halfway decent locksmith could pick that lock in about 2 minutes so you could then remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Brent, how does that work when you don't have the current key for the trailer? We bought a 622 used and it didn't come with a key. My wife's RT was also bought used and it didn't come with the spare cylinder. From that video, it almost looks like you have to have a key to remove the cylinder.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Yes sir, Rt and trailer keyed the same and a couple of none chipped keys for emergency spares. Just goes to show that this forum has it good points, and good people in attendance. Hope you are doing well down south.