Spyder Garage

Default 2019 Spyder RT LTD - Battery dead - check DPS warning and multiple fault codes

Hi,
    Recently purchased a new 2019 RT Ltd and trailered it home. Left it in garage for two days and it wouldn’t start, completely dead. Put it on battery tender for 24 hours and started no problem. Went for a ride of approx 80km and when indicating to turn left off motorway got a fault code B100F also got two other codes but I can’t remember them. Rode home and turned off RT and turned it on again fault code disappeared. Then tried to use indicator again to see if that was the problem and immediately fault code B100F appeared again. The indicators both in the dash and on the bike were hyper flashing. Left the Spyder overnight and didn’t plug in the battery tender and went to the garage turned on the RT and while stationery in the garage played around with BRP Connect to try and get Genius maps audio to play through my helmet. Suddenly it throws up multiple fault codes, the screen starts flickering and I get a “check DPS “ warning. I switched off the Spyder walked away and came back and switched it on again and it seems like it could barely light up the dash so I turned it off again.

My apologies for the long description but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing on a brand new Spyder RT.

The fault codes shown were as follows.
    U0259
    U0122
    P1F09
    P0562
    P062C
    C006C
    C1290
    U0131
    U0123
    U0126
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Title - warming

Spyder Garage

Have not had this issue, and I am sorry to hear you are. This sounds like a bad battery issue as that can cause multaple codes.

The dealer needs to fix this!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

What a horrible initial experience with your '19 RTL. I wish I could help you. I strongly suggest you take this back to the dealer and make it their issue as what if there are other issues with your new bike.
    The best to you,
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silversurfer1 View Post

My apologies for the long description but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing on a brand new Spyder RT.
    Yes. Dealers are not good at keeping the batteries charged while they sit on the showroom floor.
    And letting them sit there dead makes them go bad.

It is possible that there is a loose connection OR that the charging system is not working.
    But regardless of what the problem IS it should be fix under warranty, including towing to the shop.

DO NOT LET THE DEALER TRY AND TELL YOU THAT JUST CHARGING THE BATTERY WILL FIX THE PROBLEM.
    THAT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

After looking up all the codes listed they all relate to the electrical power loss. Most are lost communication. Do need a battery check... charge, condition and connection. On the charge do it with a charger not a tender. Might check the charging system, as one code mentions this, output as well. Only do this if getting it to the dealer is an issue and this is on them....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much everyone for the help. It was a brand new out of the crate Spyder so I am bringing it back to the dealer ASAP to fix. He thinks it’s the battery or bad connections but that’s only diagnosing it over the phone. Either way it will have to go back.

Spyder Garage

If you have a multimeter, get the bike running, check if the battery is charging. As Gene mentioned, check connections. Might be as simple as a loose screw. They throw all kinds of codes if the voltage is not just so. Insist on a new battery anyway. Good luck, and post what’s happened. Cheers! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Cotjam thanks for your suggestion. Since it wouldn’t start after the two days in the garage I hooked it up to Optimate 4 Dual Program Battery Charger / Maintainer for a few days. It showed red for the battery initially (dead battery) and then green. Then after riding it for approx 100 km and playing around with BRP Connect while it was in the garage it threw up all the codes. I put it back on the tender yesterday and it showed red on the charger again.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cotjam thanks for your suggestion. Since it wouldn’t start after the two days in the garage I hooked it up to Optimate 4 Dual Program Battery Charger / Maintainer for a few days. It showed red for the battery initially (dead battery) and then green. Then after riding it for approx 100 km and playing around with BRP Connect while it was in the garage it threw up all the codes. I put it back on the tender yesterday and it showed red on the charger again.
    If your charger / tender is showing red that quickly, it really sounds like you need a new battery. And, as above, the dealer needs to make this right … including, if necessary, getting it towed to their location. Since it is not clear, from above, if the charging system is working properly …. I would hesitate to ride any distance (make them come get the Spyder AND bring it back to you when it's fixed). IMO, they either sent you home with a bad charging system, a bad battery, or both.

So sorry you are facing these problems on a brand new machine -- once you get it all sorted out, I am sure you will love the ride.

All the best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ann for your helpful comments. I absolutely love my new RT but I’m bitterly disappointed that I now cannot ride it until this issue is sorted. I’m hoping it won’t take long to fix it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ann for your helpful comments. I absolutely love my new RT but I’m bitterly disappointed that I now cannot ride it until this issue is sorted. I’m hoping it won’t take long to fix it.
    Hi I had the exact same thing, I headed over to autozone and bought a 60$ battery booster power unit and charged the bike for 10 minutes and it fired up no issues. I also called them and told them, they said if it happens again and you are still in your first 30 days being it in and they will replace the battery.
    2018 RT , PEARL WHITE/CHROME

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    Recently purchased a new 2019 RT Ltd and trailered it home. Left it in garage for two days and it wouldn’t start, completely dead. Put it on battery tender for 24 hours and started no problem. Went for a ride of approx 80km and when indicating to turn left off motorway got a fault code B100F also got two other codes but I can’t remember them. Rode home and turned off RT and turned it on again fault code disappeared. Then tried to use indicator again to see if that was the problem and immediately fault code B100F appeared again. The indicators both in the dash and on the bike were hyper flashing. Left the Spyder overnight and didn’t plug in the battery tender and went to the garage turned on the RT and while stationery in the garage played around with BRP Connect to try and get Genius maps audio to play through my helmet. Suddenly it throws up multiple fault codes, the screen starts flickering and I get a “check DPS “ warning. I switched off the Spyder walked away and came back and switched it on again and it seems like it could barely light up the dash so I turned it off again.

The fault codes shown were as follows.
    U0259
    U0122
    P1F09
    P0562
    P062C
    C006C
    C1290
    U0131
    U0123
    U0126

Hey Silversurfer1.

We are very sorry to hear that you have been experiencing these concerns with your new Spyder.

Your dealer would be the best placed person to assist you with your specific questions as they are technically trained and have direct access to our technical support team, our warranty department and various other departments that could be of assistance.

We invite you to reach out to them and they will be happy to assist you.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us by email at brp.care@brp.com or you can call us directly at 1-888-272-9222 if you have any other questions or concerns. Please be sure to provide us with your unit's VIN and we will be happy to see what we can do for you at that time.

Kindest Regards,

David-BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

David, thank you for your post. Hopefully the dealer will be able to sort my problems. I’m waiting for him to come back to me.

Spyder Garage

Having put the RT on the charger/tender for the last couple of days I tried starting it again. It started straight up and when I went to check active fault codes I got the following;
    U3001
    P0504
    P062C
    P0556

I’m just so gutted that I can only look at my new RT in the garage and can’t ride it. To have paid so much money on a machine that is faulty out of the crate is unbelievable.
    I really love this machine but I am so disappointed and angry right now.

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone, just wanted to post the latest update. My dealer came and picked up my new RT and trailered it back to his garage. He changed out the battery but noticed a drain on the new battery with the Spyder turned off as had been the case with the factory fitted new one too. He contacted BRP and now he tells me they have said it’s the alternator and a reverse wiring issue - a fault from the factory - which they have seen with a handful of new 2018’s last year but my RT is the first one they’ve seen with the same issue in the 2019’s. It would have to be mine !!! He says they’re sending a new alternator for him to fit and hopefully it will solve the problem. Hopefully this is not the start of many more problems to come!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad for you, now.

Spyder Garage

Howdy Silversurfer - my spyder is also a 2019 Rt Limited. Brought it home new in October. Rode it for a couple of short rides and stored it in the barn covered. I live in Colorado and we do get 'warmer' days in the winter, so about six weeks after storing the Spyder, down to the barn I went. It won't start right away and 'check dps' came up on the dash. It finally started after about six tries and I drove it up to the house. The manual doesn't offer much information so I looked it up on the internet. Found an article and it suggested a call to BRP as there is a recall on some of these models. BRP said I should have received a letter from them if my Spyder was affected. Don't know why the person I spoke to didn't have that info. We ended the call with my having to contact the dealer. I went on my ride - stopped multiple times and had no further error messages or problems.
    Let the Spyder sit for about a week and went to start it to see if the error persisted - it didn't. The it sat for two or three weeks and the error message is back. I did go on another ride and after starting the first time it seems fine.
    Called the dealer today and they just reopened the store. Someone got sick and they locked the doors.
    Sorry for your troubles. And sorry for this gigantic reply - maybe it was helpful?
    Ride often/ride safe - Roger
    Last edited by reader47; 04-15-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: left out a word

Spyder Garage

An update to my post of yesterday. Spoke to the dealership this morning and they are not aware of a recall. Of course I have a problem they need to address, but no recall. I went back to the internet and tried to find what I had read and discussed here. No success.
    It seems I am spreading incorrect information about a recall? Don't know how - please accept my apologies.