Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 issues?

I have a 2013 RTS and have had very few issues (guess I'm the lucky one). Only issues I've had are
    1. rear tire burned out at 8700 miles( no big deal) Have already talked with dealer and tech ( doughnuts help with the service dept)I do have a Kuhmo waiting for me when Spring comes by, that'll be first trip. 2. heat fix had no real heat problems before fix. 3. bad Purge valve- replaced all is good now. 4. Had a little challenge with bike doing the snake dance going at hwy speed 70+. That was straightened out with a BaJa Ron sway bar. These are the only things I've had(so far). The one thing I did do that I'll bet 80% of the people buying don't do is, I had salesman contact BRP and had a Build sheet sent to dealer before I picked up bike. Salesman was told if bike was started on a Monday or on a Friday I wont be buying it, and I have to see the build sheet. It was started on a Tuesday May21 and finished on a Thursday May 23rd, Now, Some may call BS on the build sheet thing but I feel it works I don't think it matters what you buy ie: Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc., what I've noticed is if it's built on a Monday or Friday you'll(maybe) have issues. have had it happen throughout my short 63 yrs. There was a period of time (in my past) that I traded vehicles ever year in March. I only had one bad (Chevy) and sure enough it was started on a Monday. --- Just my two(three) cents worth for what it's worth. I love my bike and am having a ball on in( fair weather only- hehehe). I am so sorry for those of you that are having major issues with their bikes, I hope BRP unplugs their heads from their B***s. good luck to all.
    2013 RT-S se5, C/D HMT third tail light( r/b/t), Ram Cup holder, TRICLED front fender LED's (r/t), C/D Bright sides (r/t), Bajaron sway bar and metal heim links, TRICLED mirror turn signal LED's, ISCI tall dual flag holder, BackOff LED license plate frame, "Rufus" (stuffed 20" Bulldog) real one wants nothing to do with bike. Honel tri bag for dash, recordingguy25's (SL handle) custom mud flap ( didn't want plain old square cut mud flap. Spyderpops critter gitter. Gremlin Bell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MT Kevin View Post
    105 degrees at fuel cap.
    98 degrees at point of seat.(crotch area.)
    169 degrees at radiator fan outlet.(air coming out on foot.)
    this after 20 mile ride in 84 degree weather. The bike is still to hot for me but the customer does not mind it.
    Those are actually pretty good numbers close to what I have since I insulated everything. My cap was 135 and crotch 120 before I did some insulating. Fan is actually a little higher than mine I get 150-160 but might be device differences.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I guess it's time for me to jump in here. I too have a 2013 ST that runs hot, not motor hot but components hot. My right foot got so hot I couldn't keep it on the floor boards. Really surprised there has not been more complaints about that on the board. I've had to do a lot of work to mine to get it where I wanted to ride it. I've owned every make, model and year Spyder to date and the 2013 ST is the hottest of them all followed by my 2008. I really do feel bad for the folks that are having heat issues, I know if I couldn't work on my own bike I would be one of those people.

I will say that BRP does care and just because a fix has not happened soon enough for most of you that are having issues they are working on it. They are just as unhappy as you all, more so I would think seeing this has to have hurt the bottomline. At one time all we talked about here was the DPS and then it was the throttle bodies and now it's the heat. The DPS and the throttle body were real problems but are a thing of the past now. I'm sure we loss owners and members over those issues and we will most likely see some leave the product and the board over the heat issues. I hate that too but it is what it is and all I can do is to try and put it into perspective and hope for a good outcome. I'm confident there will be a resolve to these issues.
    Lamont, thanks for checking in on this. I know your input is respected. I am either a very lucky 13 RT owner or a very naive one, but I don't appear to have the serious issues that others have had. My canister was melted slightly but that was it. On very long rides in very hot conditions my butt gets hot, but not enough to get off the bike. I have a blast ryding. You say that BRP is working on a fix! and everybody wants to believe you! and I do believe you. They asked us to do a survey and most of us obliged, but we have not heard anything from them. I think the negative tone on this board would be abated by some sort of communication from BRP. Just a letter to all owners stating that we are working on some "upgrades to the 13 models" would calm a lot of people down. I for one am going to Ryde the off my Spyder because I love it, and we are thinking about buying another one. But I think if BRP is indeed working on something, then they need to speak up. Don't you think so?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Lamont, thanks for checking in on this. I know your input is respected. I am either a very lucky 13 RT owner or a very naive one, but I don't appear to have the serious issues that others have had. My canister was melted slightly but that was it. On very long rides in very hot conditions my butt gets hot, but not enough to get off the bike. I have a blast ryding. You say that BRP is working on a fix! and everybody wants to believe you! and I do believe you. They asked us to do a survey and most of us obliged, but we have not heard anything from them. I think the negative tone on this board would be abated by some sort of communication from BRP. Just a letter to all owners stating that we are working on some "upgrades to the 13 models" would calm a lot of people down. I for one am going to Ryde the off my Spyder because I love it, and we are thinking about buying another one. But I think if BRP is indeed working on something, then they need to speak up. Don't you think so?

Pirate, i'm glad you are happy enough with your spyder and can ride it. However, you did have the serious issues others are complaining about. Your canister melted, meaning its VERY hot....isnt that really the entire issue? Your bike is running hot enough to melt components What would have happened if you rode further, or in hotter weather...

100% agree, The lack of communication is really an issue.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Those are actually pretty good numbers close to what I have since I insulated everything. My cap was 135 and crotch 120 before I did some insulating. Fan is actually a little higher than mine I get 150-160 but might be device differences.
    That's what I was thinking to, those are some temps that aren't too bad. Last time I went to the dealer I had the service writer come out and check mine as soon as I arrived there. He logged a temp of 153 on the cap and I made sure they put that on the work order. I do not even check the temp at the radiator.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default We all will benefit

Yes, all Spyder owners, with or without heat problems,will benefit from aiding those with issues. These are very expensive toys that we do enjoy riding and we must join together to see that our ride is safe. So far, we have approached the problems as individuals. That rarely works when confronting any powerful organization. I own a 2013 rt without issues to date, however, I am more than willing to assist those who are experiencing problems. I could be next.
    BRP cares. How do we know that? They left a thread and post where you could state your 2cents and feel better. But, that is all you will get from them without action. What kind of action depends on us. Let's face it, considering the price of our toys,many of us have probably been owners and management, not unionizers. So, are we upset enough to stage a ryde in at Co. hdqrs or picket dealers with poor service? Actions speak louder than words.

Spyder Garage

I have nothing but sympathy for the 2013 owners. I sat on the sidelines watching the post here about the RT problems through most of 2011. I wanted to buy a Spyder for a year before I pulled the trigger on a 2012. Finally last summer I realized it was what it was and I felt like I could "fix" the RT problems with the aftermarket support here. I have spent $1000 of dollars fixing what I felt were the weakness in my 2012. (Shocks, Swaybar, Block Off Plates, Belt Tensioner, Third Brake Light, Corbin Seat, Floorboards, ect...) I'm encouraged to see what people are doing with the exhaust wrap and I'm going to do that this winter. Will it make a huge difference...I don't know, but it's worth a run at it.

Having said all that, best wishes to the 2013 owners, don't give up on looking for heat solutions, but in the same breath, don't expect BRP to fix it for you.

Kraig
    2012 RT SE5
    2010 RT-622 trailer
    2013 Triump Bonneville T100
    1971 Honda CT70
    1972 Honda CT70H

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAPike View Post
    Having said all that, best wishes to the 2013 owners, don't give up on looking for heat solutions, but in the same breath, don't expect BRP to fix it for you.
    Well said...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    [/B]

Pirate, i'm glad you are happy enough with your spyder and can ride it. However, you did have the serious issues others are complaining about. Your canister melted, meaning its VERY hot....isnt that really the entire issue? Your bike is running hot enough to melt components What would have happened if you rode further, or in hotter weather...

100% agree, The lack of communication is really an issue.
    well it was pretty long 800 miles, and 108, when I brought it in for the recall.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This forum help me understand the other things that I don't know. This is the place my frustation is vented. Humors and Jokes help me get through the day.

SORRY if you have enough of these, but the intention is to lighten up and share the good stuff we have in common.

This forum is like a food buffet to me. I eat only that I like and ignore the rest.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me too! Only ALL of the food gets...tasted!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Yes, I believe the cooling system has the capacity to handle the cooling of the engine very well. A lean burning or over advanced timing will promote hotter combustion temps and that will make the exhaust system hotter as well but the cooling system can handle the cylinder head temps but once the heat is in the pipes it can not be controlled anymore and relies on air movement over the pipes to control that extra heat. Air flow through the panels now may be ok for an ideal running motor but if that balance is tilted the airflow may not be enough.

Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    So, what is your cap and crotch temp since you've done the insulating? And what/where did you insulate? This is the kind of information we need to know. Air temp coming off the radiator is pretty immaterial since it's controlled more by the ambient temp and thermostat than anything else.

CincySpyder posted today that he'd installed a fan that kept his under-tupperware temps at ambient temperature. That's the kind of mod that should help you.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default Oh oh!

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    So, what is your cap and crotch temp since you've done the insulating? And what/where did you insulate? This is the kind of information we need to know. Air temp coming off the radiator is pretty immaterial since it's controlled more by the ambient temp and thermostat than anything else.

CincySpyder posted today that he'd installed a fan that kept his under-tupperware temps at ambient temperature. That's the kind of mod that should help you.
    Just checked my crotch temperature and it all the way up to 98.6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Was this reading taken by you, or a trained medical professional?? nurse.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    You and others like you paid the price of admission and have every right to share your experiece.
    100%

If available where you live, Lemon Laws should be invoked for sure!
    If not....keep the pressure on!
    It would be very interesting to know just how many sales BRP has lost as a result of people reading this website. Since it is one of the largest - if not THE largest Spyder oriented website, my guess is that they've lost a LOT of potential buyers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post

Cap holds around 100 I had the dealer use some of the same stuff on the inner panels foam aluminum from a wrecked spyder all around the black plastic around the cap, crotch mid 90s and latch hole ( I used DEI tape to close it) 90. I also did inside and under the glove box with DEI and it is only a little warm now I have always had a folded microfiber towel in it to hold my garage door remote in place and insulate it. Gas tank was done with DEI 1500deg tape.I read about his blower and it could be doable I like the idea of running a relay from the radiator fan. I just do not want to start butchering anything till I am sure BRP is done doing anything to address the heat issues. I am sure Lamont will let us all know when that is. I can live with mine as is for now but will need to do something by next summer. The trouble really is I have deflected the heat from my body but it is still there and heating something else up. My gas no longer boils AFIK but since the tank is no longer a heat sink it has to go somewhere else. That is my long term worry. Something needs to be done to the headers IMHO and I believe BRP should be addressing that. Even then that will cause more heat downstream so what damage will that cause Every action has a reaction and I DO NOT want to do anything that they may void my warranty for which is why I had the dealer do the insulating. If BRP decides to do that then I will get reimbursed. I believe they had FB's bike done I do not know if they paid for hers maybe she could tell us.

Notice above the filler hole you will see some foam/aluminum insulation on the frame under the crotch area on previous years there was some in that area but not on the 2013.

I re did the latch after the next picture and got the temp down more. These temps wer all taken on a 90+ day within 5min after I got off. I wish I had taken pics of the pre temps more but I saw my cap at 155 one time and heard the boiling.
    Last edited by Magdave; 11-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mindman View Post
    100%

If available where you live, Lemon Laws should be invoked for sure!
    If not....keep the pressure on!
    It would be very interesting to know just how many sales BRP has lost as a result of people reading this website. Since it is one of the largest - if not THE largest Spyder oriented website, my guess is that they've lost a LOT of potential buyers.
    Lets hope that's not the case. Would much prefer a potential buyer would become better informed and use the knowledge gained here to make an informed decision. jm2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're most likely not best-served, by creating an adversarial relationship at this time...

Spyder Garage

Owners of 2013's have major problems and that is horrible. Would it be a good idea to create a new heading on Spyderlovers for 2013 issues? This would better organize issues for those that need help and us "lucky" 2012 and earlier people.

Just thinking...
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Just checked my crotch temperature and it all the way up to 98.6

You have a hot crotch dude :gay:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwall View Post
    Owners of 2013's have major problems and that is horrible. Would it be a good idea to create a new heading on Spyderlovers for 2013 issues? This would better organize issues for those that need help and us "lucky" 2012 and earlier people.

Just thinking...

Please quit saying 2013 owners like it is all of us, it seems to be "some" RT owners and maybe 2-3 ST owners.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Please quit saying 2013 owners like it is all of us, it seems to be "some" RT owners and maybe 2-3 ST owners.
    We will see if you are barking the same tune next summer if a fix doesn't come out You came to the party late

Spyder Garage

​I agree with SNOOPY.

Spyder Garage

Default I have had enough "spyder loving" from non 2013 owners

Good evening All,

Well after being off the forum for a little while, I just couldn't stay away any longer.

I have read most of the recent complaints, and I fully sympathize with all that have had and that are still having problems with your Spyders, non standing of the year they were constructed.

I figured I would stay away since some people took offence to my constaint complaining about BRP, but then I figured that I had as much right being here than the others.

We, that have problems are happy and envious of the folks that enjoy and have no problems or complaints with your Spyders, you in turn should understand how frustrated and anoyed at the lack of response or positive feedback BRP is provides us.

Its a bloody joke, again I will sound like a **** disturber, honestly at this point I don't give a damn, if you are not with us and support our complaints then you are against us, and hopefully all the guys that are buying 2014 models have no problems with your machines, otherwise your complaints may also fall on deaf ears.

Now to all of you that are having any type of problems as minor or major they may be, we should stick together and prepare to comfront BRP with our issues.

My recommendation is that we prepare a list of names with addresses, and problems and look at the possibility of a CLASS ACTION. that is all BRP needs with a new 2014 in production.

For some reason the last time I started rocking the boat and got everyone anoyed at me, we had some action from Steve at BRP, this time lets regroup and go way up the latter, in my book it is obvious by now, that these people assume we are all yahoos with no gults to persue these issues any further.

Maybe by regrouping in this fashion, the 2014 line will either be produced with a much higher quality control or the line will fail under presure of the existing unsatisfied customers.

I think it is time to S**t or get off the pot, they are ignoring us, so lets make sure we do something to catch their attention, maybe start writting articles to your local new paper or favorite motorcycle magazine explaing in detail the problems that a great number of us are having, or catch tsome TV anchor people, or even look at boycotting or even better showing up at event prepared by BRP passing out list of problems like Spyders catching fire, etc.

We got to do what we got to do.

Who ever wants in, please send me your suggestions and comments, via private e-mail maybe we can get thing done.

Its time to go ahead with real action.

Enough of the BS and lack of action.

Dom