Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How To Change and Balance Your Own Spyder Tires

I came across this very informative Step By Step video and thought to add it here.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The tools he used to do this are at this site
    https://www.revzilla.com/motion-pro?...s|409|25040070
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

So many of us have problems finding a place that will do this and if you do you have to figure out how to get both your tire and Spyder there. I am ordering these tools to start changing and balancing my own.
    Total price with free shipping for everything is 170.97 plus the weights.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mtc. tire changing

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    So many of us have problems finding a place that will do this and if you do you have to figure out how to get both your tire and Spyder there. I am ordering these tools to start changing and balancing my own.
    Total price with free shipping for everything is 170.97 plus the weights.
    A video that shows you how to change a MOTORCYCLE tire on a MOTORCYCLE wheel /rim may not be the best Video for you / us ...... The Spyder rims are CAR " J " type rims ........... so go back to U-tube and watch how it's done on a CAR tire ....... and those tools you are looking at can be had a lot less expensive and if they are..... CAR tire tools more useful ..........good luck ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-23-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

I dont think the procedure would be any different but I will find out soon enough the way I burn tires. I only have 1700 miles on my OEM rear and the center is already hit the raised indicator.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

It will also give me a chance to replace those stock valve stems with metal ones that are easier to get to. The front tires valve stems on the new spyders are so short you can barely get ahold of them much less put your FOBO on. FOBO also recommends metal valve stems.
    Last edited by AY4B; 03-22-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

It will also give me a chance to replace those stock valve stems with metal ones that are easier to get to. The front tires valve stems on the new spyders are so short you can barely get ahold of them much less put your FOBO on. FOBO also recommends metal valve stems.
    I have a manual tire changer and it's not as easy as he shows. When that tire has been on for a really long time sometimes it's a job to get it to break the bead. Would love to see him do a spyder rear tire with thoses tools. Can be done, but a battle.
    David

Spyder Garage

I already ordered the tools. It did not look that difficult. What made it easier was he heated the rubber pretty good. On my ST , I did 2 changes. I removed and installed the rear wheel myself and took it to the dealer for them to mount the tire. All I can do is give it a go and Ill let you all know how it went.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I already ordered the tools. It did not look that difficult. What made it easier was he heated the rubber pretty good. On my ST , I did 2 changes. I removed and installed the rear wheel myself and took it to the dealer for them to mount the tire. All I can do is give it a go and Ill let you all know how it went.
    You'll find little tricks here and there. Might take a good bit of blood, sweat, and tears. I use Armour All as a lube.
    David

Spyder Garage

I found this video that also was helpful, This guy BTW makes some awsome video tutorials on Basecamp as well.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I found this video that also was helpful, This guy BTW makes some awsome video tutorials on Basecamp as well.
    I use that same set up. I made me a Teflon block to use to brake the bead so not to mess up the rim. Also I have 3 Teflon blocks that mount on the pieces that holds the rim in place while removing the tire. I have a bar similar to his, but made by a different guy. I like his bar better.
    David

Spyder Garage

Actually, method 1 looked easier to me than using the Harbor Freight thing.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Actually, method 1 looked easier to me than using the Harbor Freight thing.
    method 1 does well on motorcycle tires and front tires of the spyder. The back tire is a different animal. But none of them is easy when everything is cold. I have changed about 30 tires with mine and like the guy says every tire is different.

David
    Last edited by Warlock; 03-22-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here is one that will give you all a chuckle. Anyone here ever use gorilla tape to mount a tire?
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Here is one that will give you all a chuckle. Anyone here ever use gorilla tape to mount a tire?
    I have done it with smaller tires using tie wraps instead of tape. It does work on the small front tire of the sports bike.
    David

Spyder Garage

We tried a lot of various tools to change tires. Four letter words, damaged rims and general frustration with what should be a straightforward task led us to invest in the right tool for the job:

20170730_105156.jpg

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I came across this very informative Step By Step video and thought to add it here.
    I don't agree with his balancing, reminds me too much of bubble balancers in the '70's which were very inaccurate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We tried a lot of various tools to change tires. Four letter words, damaged rims and general frustration with what should be a straightforward task led us to invest in the right tool for the job:

20170730_105156.jpg
    Would love to have one of them. Just don't change as many tires now. Would have been nice. Getting ready to change out my back tire in a couple months. Use to enjoy it. No fun anymore. Seems like too much work.
    David

Spyder Garage

I have been to JCthorne's shop and he has top end everything. Very impressive shop and he is very knowledgeable about everything pertaining to Spyders. I just wish someone like him lived closer to me.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I don't agree with his balancing, reminds me too much of bubble balancers in the '70's which were very inaccurate.
    Just about every DIY video I have seen use a variation of that same method. Its looks to me like a poor mans Spin balance. A bubble balance is done horizontally on a center point.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Just about every DIY video I have seen use a variation of that same method. Its looks to me like a poor mans Spin balance. A bubble balance is done horizontally on a center point.
    Yes you are right but my point being .... not accurate or at least not accurate enough for me.

Spyder Garage

Yes you are right but my point being .... not accurate or at least not accurate enough for me.
    You can always get one of those balancing kits from Lamonster garage.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

You can always get one of those balancing kits from Lamonster garage.
    yes but they only work on a not on a motorcycle and me i will still road force my .

Spyder Garage

That guys method is extremely accurate. I have access to a Marc Parnes balancer similar to the one in video and a computer spin balancer, balance on the Marc Parnes balancer, then put it on the computer balancer and it comes up .000 every time.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I ordered those tools yesterday and got them today already. Wow that is a record for free shipping!
    2017 F3 Limited