Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet suggestions?

Not really sure where to put this, so.......

I have a couple of lids, one I like and 1 that needs to be upgraded. My daily helmet is a Bell Mag 9 SENA. (I run a SENA all the time. I like my tunage.) It's a great 3/4 lid w/a good face shield but sometimes (rain or cold) I feel the need for more coverage. That brings me to my 2nd lid. I have an HJC RPHA Max modular. I don't do full face helmets and have always drifted towards modulars for more protection. My HJC isn't cut out for speakers and it's design means that it's not compatible w/a SENA mount (I don't really trust the stick on mounts).

I'm looking for a modular with good venting, speaker cutouts and a design that allows for a SENA. I'm not opposed to a helmet that has a proprietary BT built in. I tend to look @ Revzilla first and if I find something I like, look around for a better price. Most of the time, Revzilla has the best (or really close) prices so I buy there.

I have a pretty tight budget but I know some of the bargain basement helmets are better than nothing but not by much.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

I have the HJC RPHA 90 modular and really like it. I have the Packtalk Bold but it will support the SENA as well according to the shop I bought it from.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I looked @ the RPHA 90. It looks nice but it's well north of $400. That's a lot of scratch. Ideally, I'd like to stay south of $300, if possible. If I can't find something closer to my price range by summer, I might just pick one of those up.

Spyder Garage

Yea, it was a little steep in price. I picked it up when it was on sale at Cycle Gear. It looks like they have 10% off now putting it at $422

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have a GMAX54S that I bought thru Value Accessories (one of our site sponsors).
    Decent quality, inexpensive and fits well. Has speaker cutouts and a drop down inner dark shield.
    Lots of vents and an LED flasher on the back of the helmet.
    I had CycleGear install my SENA SMH10 to the Helmet. After a year I upgraded the speakers as below Youtube video.

If you use a SENA consider this upgrade to vastly improve the volume and quality of the sound.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Any Snell or ECE approved helmet- like tires quality matters

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I have a GMAX54S that I bought thru Value Accessories (one of our site sponsors).

If you use a SENA consider this upgrade to vastly improve the volume and quality of the sound.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    If you do the "upgrade" please don't do like the video and use acid flux when doing electrical component soldering.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Too expensive? How important is your head?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at the HJC IS Max modular helmets.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Wife has the RPHA MAX and loves it. SENA mounts on with no problems. Dealer did it for free. I have a KLIM modular. Very light weight, fits great, no problems with the SENA mounting. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I use a Sena 10S in my Scorpion EXO-AT950. Huge field of vision and nice quality. The beak is easily removable.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...a777eda2a4ce41
    https://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...er_helmet.html

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I use a Sena 10S in my Scorpion EXO-AT950. Huge field of vision and nice quality. The beak is easily removable.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...a777eda2a4ce41
    That's really interesting.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Not really sure where to put this, so.......

I have a couple of lids, one I like and 1 that needs to be upgraded. My daily helmet is a Bell Mag 9 SENA. (I run a SENA all the time. I like my tunage.) It's a great 3/4 lid w/a good face shield but sometimes (rain or cold) I feel the need for more coverage. That brings me to my 2nd lid. I have an HJC RPHA Max modular. I don't do full face helmets and have always drifted towards modulars for more protection. My HJC isn't cut out for speakers and it's design means that it's not compatible w/a SENA mount (I don't really trust the stick on mounts).

I'm looking for a modular with good venting, speaker cutouts and a design that allows for a SENA. I'm not opposed to a helmet that has a proprietary BT built in. I tend to look @ Revzilla first and if I find something I like, look around for a better price. Most of the time, Revzilla has the best (or really close) prices so I buy there.

I have a pretty tight budget but I know some of the bargain basement helmets are better than nothing but not by much.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    We have been on a helmet search for about a year now. Newest helmets are now three years and we have the Sena SMH10 communicators mounted on the sides of our Nolan n-44's. We like open face, drop down visor and interior sun shades, as well as a peak to help shade from the sun. Finding that combo was not easy. I found what I was looking for at Revzilla.

I just ordered a set of Bell Mag 9/Sena's. Also ordered the updated Sena SMH10's to go with them. This particular helmet is made for the Sena's 10's to be flush mounted inside the helmets. This seems like the ideal solution for us. We prefer the Sena system over the competition. No noise interference on our current Sena's. The "newer" version is supposed to pair up with at least two other Sena's and the range is still 900 meters (about 2.5 blocks) for that version. We have not tested those purporting to have a mile range, nor do we use phones or music with our setup. Just good ol, bike to bike communication.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-19-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Too expensive? How important is your head?
    If you ask any of my ex wives, they'll tell you about a buck and a half on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    Revzilla has an IS Max 2 for just under 2 bills. I'll have to take a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Wife has the RPHA MAX and loves it. SENA mounts on with no problems. Dealer did it for free. I have a KLIM modular. Very light weight, fits great, no problems with the SENA mounting. Tom
    Did you cut out the holes in the styrofoam liner for the speakers on the RPHA Max? I looked @ the KLIMs. I think they're the old LaZer Carbons. Nice but pricey.

Revzilla has one of those in the Neocon HiViz version for about $200. That visor would HAVE to come off.

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I just ordered a set of Bell Mag 9/Sena's. Also ordered the updated Sena SMH10's to go with them. This particular helmet is made for the Sena's 10's to be flush mounted inside the helmets. This seems like the ideal solution for us. We prefer the Sena system over the competition. No noise interference on our current Sena's. The "newer" version is supposed to pair up with at least two other Sena's and the range is still 900 meters (about 2.5 blocks) for that version. We have not tested those purporting to have a mile range, nor do we use phones or music with our setup. Just good ol, bike to bike communication.
    My "other" lid is a Bell Mag 9 SENA with an SMH10 mounted to it. I love the Mag 9 but sometimes I want more coverage. You'll like the Mag 9. It's great for a 3/4 cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Any Snell or ECE approved helmet- like tires quality matters
    Almost no modulars with a Snell or ECE rating, at least not in my price range.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ordered a Scorpion EXO-AT950 last night from Revzilla. If I don't like it, I'll send it back.

Spyder Garage

I've got a Shoei Neotech 2. Expensive, but with a five year life what is a couple of hundred dollars against the many thousands of dollars we spend on other parts of our ride. The comfort of your helmet has a very large impact on the comfort of your ride, not to mention the safety issues.

See what you think of the reviews...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...shoei+neotec+2
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I've got a Shoei Neotech 2. Expensive, but with a five year life what is a couple of hundred dollars against the many thousands of dollars we spend on other parts of our ride. The comfort of your helmet has a very large impact on the comfort of your ride, not to mention the safety issues.

See what you think of the reviews...https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...shoei+neotec+2
    Well worth considering
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was either a $700 lid or a comfortable seat so I can hit the brake pedal. The seat won out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Ordered a Scorpion EXO-AT950 last night from Revzilla. If I don't like it, I'll send it back.
    How do you like the helmet ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    So do the horns act as speaker boxes? Improved bass on the cheap!
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you like the helmet ?
    Hated it and sent it back. Revzilla charged me $7.99 for return shipping but no restocking fee. Put that money towards an HJC RPHA 90. The cable that moves the sun visor up/down crapped out after a week. They're sending me a new HJC as we speak although they gave me some crap about this return.

Spyder Garage

Bummer.. Guess it goes to show all heads are different. Does the RPHA use the sliding lever on top of the helmet? If so, it'll crap out again over time. I have/had other HJC's with that set-up. All the springs lose tension over time.

2022 RT Sea To Sky