Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reliability

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Has to be said...Fair warning was given.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Truthfully; I didn't really care for Joe's post either...

...But you could have ignored it...

Nahhh... you couldn't!
    Probably as much as I did not care for yours
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I got my first Spyder in April of 2008, rode it till 2013, got a 2012 RT, figure I'll ride it till I can afford a new one. The biggest problem I've had has been finding time to ride. As far as service? I've owned H-D's from the mid 50's, some Triumphs, Nortons, and Enfields from the same time frame, so I think I've got a good idea of what reliability, or its lack, is. I really like my Spyder.

john

Spyder Garage

Feel the love Brother.

It's good to know that you don't have me on ignore, i was beginning to wonder.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Forum police

Do we have forum police here now? The last thing that should be said around here is that a person with great technical knowledge should go away. 95 % of what is posted here is USELESS CHATTER .Let's not drive away the good 5% of useful information . It has happened too many times in the past. Maybe they just got tired of all the meaningless posting.
    Last edited by coz; 04-02-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    Do we have forum police here now? The last thing that should be said around here is that a person with great technical knowledge should go away. 95 % of what is posted here is USELESS CHATTER .Let's not drive away the good 5% of useful information .

Forum Police????

no, just a matter of opinion, and everyone has one, and the right to express it. The banter between some of us is just that, Banter, no one is being vulgar or hateful.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Okay. How about something technical and useful?
    Can someone tell me how the EFI system works on my ?

Are there advantages of the EFI system compared to the older carburation system?

Will various octane numbers affect either system, and how.

I will be waiting for the 5% of technical experts to chime in.

Thank you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Another point: Most dealers do not work on "trike" configurations due to warranty "issues." At the moment, Triumph is the only other major line that I know of that sells and warranties a trike version.
    The two H-D factory trikes don't come with warranties?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Must be the approach of the full moon has got so many on edge. Like we in the trade say; there's a pill for that
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My 08 GS has been bullet proof. Just a steering recall and oil changes with maintenance. Hope the F3 is the same.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    The two H-D factory trikes don't come with warranties?
    You got me there. I guess I don't think about HD's much these days.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-02-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Are there advantages of the EFI system compared to the older carburation system?

Thank you.
    EFI delivers an exact measurement of fuel via injectors and fires the plug based on piston location via cam position sensor. The ECM measure the efficiency via O2 sensors and adjust the amount that is injected. If knock sensors are available the ECM can retard the timing if it detects pre ignition usually due to lower octane fuels. The higher the octane the higher pressure it will take to ignite and be more efficient and increase HP.

Carbs are like dumping fuel into the intake and hoping it get sucked into the cylinder in the correct measure. Timing done by points works via camshaft but they degrade over time requiring replacement where the ECM just fires the coil when it wants. Much less efficient and constantly changing system. Got knock? Better get higher octane fuel or adjust your points or both.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Thank you.
    Both systems mix air and fuel and deliver it to the combustion chamber. The air/fuel ratio delivered by the carburetor is fixed by the use of jets and comes from the factory set up for best performance for a specific environment (altitude, humidity, temperature, etc). The jets can be changed, but that requires that the carburetor be disassembled. Obviously not something you can do beside the road before driving up a mountain. The EFI system though constantly adjusts the air/fuel ratio to be optimum for conditions by getting information from the various sensors and comparing that to a lookup table (called a map) to adjust the amount of fuel being injected.

It isn't that the octane ratings will affect one over the other, but it does affect the combustion process. The higher the octane rating, the more the fuel will take compression before it detonates. For optimum engine performance the ignition needs to take place at a specific point in the combustion process. If too low an octane is used, you can get knocking or pinging because the fuel is igniting too early in the process. EFI systems can adjust the system somewhat to compensate, but you lose some efficiency in that.

And no, I am not an expert. Ex = has been. Spurt = drip under pressure.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OOPS

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Then why are you ragging on me for posting the picture? I did not read the link you posted; colored posts in different fonts make me read something else. Besides that post did not show the pecentages.
    ..........Well sounds like the Honeymoon is over ..............I think I'll go have some of Bob's Ice Cream...........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..........Well sounds like the Honeymoon is over ..............I think I'll go have some of Bob's Ice Cream...........Mike
    Bob makes ice cream? What does he make it out of? You might be safer ryding naked in Detroit...
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Well im lightly stepping in

I will admit im a rabid HD guy who switched to this awesome Spyder

The site here helped my decision to purchace & learn to handle the bike & pick out acc (i can't call em f a rkles sorry

I feel as though I know some of ya as its a small room here
    Any way thank you for all the ideas videos humour etc
    This is a good site
    I guess when people criticize the machine they own could be good reason & out of frustration
    Lord knows many years ago wi HD it would been same

I selfishly just want to enjoy my new ryde & do not want it to be slammed
    But so far it works perfectly
    On the other hand if I have a problem I will want
    HELP! BIG TIME
    with no bitchin or slammin
    Just help advise what dealer is good how to communicate with Can am etc
    You ALL would be my help

So lets all go see REO Speedwagon or Bob Seger & have some peace Love & Spyder Power
    DLBY
    HOOSIER SEMI RETIRED PREACHER HIPPY

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Without knowing the parameters of the survey, I suspect at least part of the issue is that Spyder owners tend to be older and more financially established and are therefore more likely to have their vehicle serviced at a dealer. I know that is what I do.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

one thing to take in to consideration is some of the other bike might have their repairs handles by their owners
    where spyders like most new cars today have too much electronics & have to be brought in to dealer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay; it's time for me to tell you why I said what I said...
    Most folks will join a forum like this, to gather some validation for their choices...
    (Drew is the noted exception. )
    We all hang around in here; telling stories about not being waved at by this or that type of bike, or being asked insulting questions by people who obviously don't get us...
    And we always do our best to tell our friends to not worry about the cretins out there...
    So when someone from in here, posts a "Study", or an article about how our choice of bikes isn't the next best thing to Mother's Milk and Sliced Bread; well, it almost feels like a betrayal...

Dave,
    You KNOW that I respect your mechanical skills and flawless taste in music.
    When you posted it; I had to wonder if the "2013 jinx" was starting to take it's toll on you...

Are we good?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Okay; it's time for me to tell you why I said what I said...
    Most folks will join a forum like this, to gather some validation for their choices...
    (Drew is the noted exception. )
    We all hang around in here; telling stories about not being waved at by this or that type of bike, or being asked insulting questions by people who obviously don't get us...
    And we always do our best to tell our friends to not worry about the cretins out there... [emoji106]
    So when someone from in here, posts a "Study", or an article about how our choice of bikes isn't the next best thing to Mother's Milk and Sliced Bread; well, it almost feels like a betrayal...

Dave,
    You KNOW that I respect your mechanical skills and flawless taste in music.
    When you posted it; I had to wonder if the "2013 jinx" was starting to take it's toll on you...

Are we good?
    Interesting, you've never met me, have never even spoken to me, yet you feel you think you know me.....[emoji23] [emoji107]
    You seriously are clueless....[emoji6]

Spyder Garage

Repair, service, reliability...to me are completely different categories for the said 42%. Does mine go to the shop? Yes, for the oil changes(service). Does it go there for tires and a laser alignment? Yep, I'll call that one a combo(repair and service). Did it go there for a broken shock? Yes, but replaced under warranty(guess that one is reliability and repair). How about the Orange screen of death or codes...the last time I checked, my garage doesn't have a Buds computer in it(chalk that up to service). Guess I'm part of the 42% because I've driven the wheels off of my "unreliable" machine.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Drew,
    Why would you care what I say?
    You have made it perfectly clear that this isn't a popularity contest in here...

...and you don't care to march to the same drummer as everybody else.
    I would have thought that honesty would be appreciated more by you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Well Bob everyone has a bad day and yesterday musta been your day in the barrel. I will continue to post as I see fit, good or bad. If it is bad hopefully BRP Cares will see it, report it to corporate and increase that $70 mil profit by making their best advertisers happy.

Spyder Garage

2013 RT Limited
    Brake light wire burned from hot exhaust
    Returned for band-aid recall
    Returned for software upgrade and other items(belt guard bolt, etc.)
    Replaced burned evap canister
    Returned for water pump seal leaking
    Waiting on BIG recall.......
    All this before my second oil change.(5100 miles)

I don't think there is a problem with Magdave's post.

We don't know what we don't know...

2013 RT Limited
    2012 RT-622 Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Must be the approach of the full moon has got so many on edge. Like we in the trade say; there's a pill for that
    I've managed two international support/grief-based listservs, and one thing that happened every year without fail, was hostility among members spiked in the winter time. I'd wager that the increased time stuck in the house due to weather (cabin fever) along with people dealing with S.A.D. and holiday stresses like family events led to the increase of people flying off the handle. This is more pronounced between long-standing vanguard members when newer members joined the group and expressed ideas that challenged the vanguard's notion of reality within the lists. The vanguard took huge offense to anything they perceived as a challenge to the "way things were" and demonstrated a sense of ownership in the lists (despite the reality they were not owners or even moderators). Every year, old members would leave complaining of new members and new members would do the same--finding a lack of acceptance from long-term members. New members were often treated as pariahs despite everyone joining the lists for the exact same reasons. They had more in common than not.

I've seen the same thing reflected after several years here. A core vanguard who aren't always accepting of new members who express ideas not in keeping with how things have always operated. In Winter time, when people can't get out and ride and are dealing with the effects of Season Affective Disorder, everyone develops a short fuse. The forum is always filled with snippy and sometimes distasteful, personal attacks and people over-reacting in general. That combined with the added security of being essentially anonymous behind a monitor, it becomes too easy for vulnerable individuals to act in an aggressive and hurtful way.

I'd also wager that this type of situation exists in every support group, bulletin board/forum and listserv on the planet regardless the topic. It's a product of many variables but mainly the inability for mankind to be humane.