Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

they used a different vendor for the sprockets....maybe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Were YOU contacted?
    If not your vehicle was NOT recalled.
    Recalls REQUIRE they contact you. Looks more like YOU fond the recall.
    If anything like a CAR they will NOT service your Spyder.

AJ
    https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ecallId=22V352

Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Recall

I have a 2015 RT Limited with a little over 14K miles. I haven't seen anything mentioned about what is actually the problem with the sprocket. Will it shear off/seize up? How about critical mileage when the problem starts or does it depend on riding style like high RPM's/trailer towing, etc.? I understand that some, not all, riders experience some noise or vibrations but other than that, no other warning? I contacted my dealer the day after I received my recall notice (June 22). They didn't know what the "interim fix" was going to be until June 30. My appointment is 3rd week of July. I'll follow up then. I plan on still riding with fingers crossed! Have a great summer!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 07:34 AM. Reason: then - than ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PoconoDave View Post
    I have a 2015 RT Limited with a little over 14K miles. I haven't seen anything mentioned about what is actually the problem with the sprocket. Will it shear off/seize up? How about critical mileage when the problem starts or does it depend on riding style like high RPM's/trailer towing, etc.? I understand that some, not all, riders experience some noise or vibrations but other than that, no other warning? I contacted my dealer the day after I received my recall notice (June 22). They didn't know what the "interim fix" was going to be until June 30. My appointment is 3rd week of July. I'll follow up then. I plan on still riding with fingers crossed! Have a great summer!!
    Well documented on this site. Look at the front belt pully. Covered in red rust dust?......you have the problem. Easy check with a mirror if you don't want to pull tupperware.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Spyder Safety Recall for 2015 - 2019 RT + F3. Front pulley - red dust

Last weekend another spyder ryder told me that there's a recall on the front pulleys for 2015- 2019 RTS and the F3? Have any of you folks heard about this recall? He says parts are on backorder.

Spyder Garage

Stupid question......

How do you check for "red dust"? I would imaging that you have to take the left side panels off to take a good look at the sprocket itself?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderweber3 View Post
    Stupid question......

How do you check for "red dust"? I would imaging that you have to take the left side panels off to take a good look at the sprocket itself?
    If you can get down low enough with a good torch, you can usually see the red dust by looking in from either the back of the bike along the outside of the belt; or from below the front pulley looking up.

When it gets bad, the red dust is pretty obvious!

Mind you, the Recall document suggests that BRP doesn't think there is any indicator of impending failure - it's just that everyone here who has reported a failure has discovered the red dust.... either before or on failure!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I just called my dealer about this recall.
    The service guy said the fix is pending, as in they can't do the recall service until further notice.
    He also said to avoid riding it until they get to it, like maybe next December?
    Sorry, that ain't happening :-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you can get down low enough with a good torch, you can usually see the red dust by looking in from either the back of the bike along the outside of the belt; or from below the front pulley looking up.

When it gets bad, the red dust is pretty obvious!

Mind you, the Recall document suggests that BRP doesn't think there is any indicator of impending failure - it's just that everyone here who has reported a failure has discovered the red dust.... either before or on failure!
    I can still LAY down however I just use a Hand mirror with an LED torch ( sic ) ..... None on my 14 RT w/ 67,000 plus miles .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adipaola View Post
    I just called my dealer about this recall.
    The service guy said the fix is pending, as in they can't do the recall service until further notice.
    He also said to avoid riding it until they get to it, like maybe next December?
    Sorry, that ain't happening :-)
    Your dealer is full of crap. Once the dust starts to appear you still have a long ways to go till it drastically shows. If it’s covered front and back and really evident then worry. As a side note there is not a single dealer that knows the exact fix. BRP hasn’t released it. It’s a service bulletin still for them with the recall stated. The temporary fix that was to be released at the end of June is not being released now. The recall will be released late august-October. As for parts don’t expect them anytime soon. I ordered a part last October 20th. It has been pushed back 6 times. The last was July 22. Now it’s October 12th. All new release dates on 2022 spyders that were to arrive July 12th or 22nd are now pending. The spyder line is done with production august 1st. The sled production was scheduled to start July 1st and is now pushed back to the 20th. These dates have already been released. So since the sprockets and most parts are made overseas don’t expect them in anytime soon. If it’s a true problem for you get a new sprocket put on, contact BRP for the refund. It states it black and white on the recall. Ride it, and don’t even worry about it unless there’s a lot of dust showing.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 06-24-2022 at 03:11 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    So since the sprockets and most parts are made overseas don’t expect them in anytime soon.
    See my post #76 - the white sprocket is stamped "Made in the USA"

T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    cast into the side of the updated white sprocket, MADE IN THE USA

T.P.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 09:40 PM. Reason: ...st#7... & quote . ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderweber3 View Post
    Last weekend another spyder ryder told me that there's a recall on the front pulleys for 2015- 2019 RTS and the F3? Have any of you folks heard about this recall? He says parts are on backorder.

Yes, I got a letter today saying there is a recall. It is the front pulley. They want me to bring it in for a temporary fix. They have no parts and according to the letter it might be 6 months to a year before the parts are available to change them all out. The letter stated it was 2015 - 2019 and the F3 also. I have F3-S 2019. Letter said if I choose to continue riding it is subject to lose power to the rear wheel.

I have been aware of the problem for a long time and check the front sprocket regular. I am not going to let them do some temporary fix which I could do myself if I thought there was a problem. Also not going to park it for 6 months to a year waiting for parts. When they do get the parts, they can send the new pulley to me and I will put it on. I am not taking it in, nor do I want them working on it. If they don't like that, I will just pay for an upgraded pulley and put it on myself when they become available.

Loss of power to the drive wheel is no big deal. It could be worse, depending on where you are, but I have had at least 4 or 5 Harley belts either break or strip off most of the teeth over the years. Worst problem was always having to get somebody to bring a trailer to get it back home.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    They have no parts and according to the letter it might be 6 months to a year before the parts are available to change them all out.
    I got the same recall letter yesterday and It say's nothing about 6 months to a year, It does say

(The parts for the final repair will gradually be available in a very limited quantity over an extended period, due to supply chain limitations. The replacement procedure should be available at your dealer starting on August 30 and should take less than an hour.)

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Maybe it was one of the other parts letters that said 6 months to a year. I left them all out in the shop. Having a hard time getting parts for anything.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Just received my letter today. I am booked July 8th at BRP for my "Wrong Key", "Check Key" DESS KEY issue and I hope the Temp potential fix is done as well as my sprockets "Red beach" is not looking too good.
    BRP RECALL 2022 edit.jpg
    sprocket BRP.jpg

Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by luminavanman; 06-24-2022 at 10:27 PM.
    2019 RT LIMITED , Intstalled Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

My Safety Recall Notice arrived today.
    2017 F3T
    Tomorrow I call the dealer to get details/schedule for the interim fix.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    My Safety Recall Notice arrived today.
    2017 F3T
    Tomorrow I call the dealer to get details/schedule for the interim fix.
    Haze when you call today, post the response please. My 2 local dealers and an owner of a dealership I spoke with last week at a rally said there is no interim fix procedure released yet and that nothing is being done till the recall procedure is released. The recall paper from BRP says temp/interim fix first but the 3 dealers I’ve spoken with are saying there’s no temp/interim. Just curious what they will tell you. It’s not July yet so that’s why they might not be releasing the process yet to the dealers. But you’d think they’d get the process before then if it’s an interim.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Thanks EdMat. I'm getting my inspection mirror out soon to take a look.

Spyder Garage

Just the fact that there is no red dust does not mean you do not have a sprocket problem. A visual inspection is not enough. You need to reduce the belt tension on the sprocket and check for movement of the sprocket on the shaft.

Spyder Garage

I am very hesitant about this whole mess and have no plans to have an 'interim" repair performed. My bike is a 2015 purchased new in January of 2017. It is a base model in black and apparently no buyers wanted a base model in black. I got a great deal on it. From the start I have done everything wrong with this bike. At 6000 miles I installed the evil car tires, Federals on front and I have the second Altimax on the rear. I use Rotella T6 oil and have from the start. I change oil and perform all maintenance according to the manual. I do all of my own work. I did my coolant change with Peak brand orange coolant direct from the AutoZone shelf. My battery is also from AutoZone, a Duralast brand. In 2019 I had the DESS turned off, what a joke. I'm sure the engineers at BRP still get a chuckle out of that mess. I run the belt tension at 190 on the ground because at the often mentioned 160 the bike vibrated so much that my wife refused to get off of it. I use a Kricket gauge. The bike sat idle for almost a year while I underwent treatment for prostate cancer ( get tested fellas, it's not hard and there is no reason to die from this crap) I installed the Duralast battery at that time because the original was four years old and the bike had sat idle for too long. The Duralast is a year and a half old and I have no issues with it. I use star washers and a battery maintainer. All of the above has worked great for me and I don't plan to change anything just to experiment or follow the latest fads. My point is the bike has 50,000 trouble free miles. Zero issues, none, nada, zilch, and I am in no hurry to let the oil change guy at the dealership mess with my pulley or anything else. I have no dust and the pulley is tight with no detectable movement with the belt off. I checked it. Swapping that pulley isn't a difficult job and I will be surprised if dealers pull their techs off of paying jobs to do the work. Like I said I figure the oil change guy or the summer help will get this job. I may get the recall done, but this is going to take a heart to heart chat with my dealers shop boss before I let them touch my ride.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Received my letter yesterday. Only have 6K on my F3L and no sign of red dust yet so I won't be doing whatever jackleg "interim repair" that BRP comes up with. I'll wait for the updated sprocket and ryde it in the meantime. Even though I live near Reno, I'll be taking it to Sacramento for the recall as I don't trust the thumbfingered monkeys in Reno to fix a baby carriage, never mind my ride.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    Just the fact that there is no red dust does not mean you do not have a sprocket problem. A visual inspection is not enough. You need to reduce the belt tension on the sprocket and check for movement of the sprocket on the shaft.
    If its gone far enuff that you can notice slack in the pulley/shaft, even with the belt off, without removing the bolt you are going to have rust and lots of noise and very quickly feel the sadness of setting beside the road.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I just checked my 2018 spyder RT, with 20100 miles.
    Yup, noticed the red dust.
    I removed the bolt and it looked like a good spline connection, no slop.
    I had to use a two jaw puller to remove the sprocket.
    The sprocket came off easy.
    Cleaned the shaft, and the sprocket, and it slid on nice and snug.
    I used marine grade anti-seize and put it back together.
    Even though mine showed the dust, it looked fine enough to ride until it can get checked out at the dealer.
    Last edited by Johndeeredoo; 06-25-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Haze when you call today, post the response please. My 2 local dealers and an owner of a dealership I spoke with last week at a rally said there is no interim fix procedure released yet and that nothing is being done till the recall procedure is released. The recall paper from BRP says temp/interim fix first but the 3 dealers I’ve spoken with are saying there’s no temp/interim. Just curious what they will tell you. It’s not July yet so that’s why they might not be releasing the process yet to the dealers. But you’d think they’d get the process before then if it’s an interim.

Today I met with the dealer in Reno. I hand carried my recall letter with me.
    My query was for the "Interim" repair.
    The Tech Writer was unaware of the Recall. The Service Manager had to look up the
    Recall issue on the service department computer.
    Findings: The dealer in Reno does not have any information about performing the interim repair.
    They referenced the letter and the statement that interim repair info will be provided by BRP on or after Thursday the 30th.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    the bike vibrated so much that my wife refused to get off of it.
    I see what you did there, good one.
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED