Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

https://www.vividracing.com/kenda-ka...153610937.html

Not sure if this helps you guys or not. They are saying they have the rear tire in stock.

Spyder Garage

The apparently superior Kenda Kanine KR20 tire is imported and distributed by Tucker.com. They have hundreds of dealers across the nation. You can see the list of dealers on their website. Maybe at least one of the Tucker dealers nearest you has the tire, or can get it from one of the distribution warehouses for Tucker, for you.

You never know, one of their dealers may be willing to fit one for less. In some parts of the world, KR20's are used on Smart cars, so I don't think the problem is a manufacture date issue as much as an arrival at a Can Am's spares facility issue, but I might be wrong.

I think Can Am would want to supply new tires as fast as they can, their dealers make money from them, Can Am makes money from them, idle Spyders don't get serviced and don't consume parts. Not supplying tires until July has to be a headache for Can Am and not a situation they would like to find themselves in either. The bad customer relationships this causes, and the problem with retaining Can Am customers long term, has to be as big an issue for Can Am as it is for us. Why buy Can Am supplied farkles if you can't buy a tire and can't use the vehicle?

The KR20 is supposed to be an improvement on the original OEM tire, yet designed specifically for the Spyder. I cannot think, considering the non availability of the originals, that Can Am could possibly have much problem with fitting something designed by their OEM supplier to fit a Spyder, but there again I'm not sure if Can Am regards the KR20 as an OEM fitment or not?
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Here is the information I have. Can't verify it but it sounds plausable.

The original Kenda's for the Spyder are less than optimal (being kind). BRP had a patent on them (and probably a 'No Compete' as well) and Kenda was obligated to honor that for the standard period of 12 years. When that timed out Kenda decided to make a better tire for the Spyder and started producing them sometime in 2020. Kenda is (or was) based in Taiwan. Worried that China is going to take this nation soon, Kenda decided to move production to Vietnam. That was about the time that Vietnam shut the country down for Covid and everything there came to a screeching halt. Kenda still had reduced production capabilities in Taiwan but concentrated on their high volume products. Spyder tires definitely not fitting into that category.

I have had the Kenda Kanines on backorder since February of last year. For quite some time there was no projected arrival date. Around February of this year we received a projected delivery date of sometime in April. When we got close to that date they bumped it back a week and they have been doing this ever since. Right now it shows availability on 05/13. But I won't be surprise if before that date, it gets moved to 05/20. It's like the word maņana. It doesn't really mean 'Tomorrow'.

Unscrupulous (in my opinion) web sites still list these tires and will let you 'purchase' them. Then, some time later you will get notification that they are 'Out of Stock'. (Believe me, they have been OOS for a LONG time). They leave them up because they hope they can sell you something else. I am not say that NO ONE has them. But I'd be surprised. I suggest calling first before processing a CC with whoever says they still have them.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-07-2022 at 08:43 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

The original Kenda's for the Spyder are less than optimal (being kind). BRP had a patent on them (and probably a 'No Compete' as well) and Kenda was obligated to honor that for the standard period of 12 years. When that timed out Kenda decided to make a better tire for the Spyder and started producing them sometime in 2020. Kenda is (or was) based in Taiwan. Worried that China is going to take this nation soon, Kenda decided to move production to Vietnam. That was about the time that Vietnam shut the country down for Covid and everything there came to a screeching halt. Kenda still had reduced production capabilities in Taiwan but concentrated on their high volume products. Spyder tires definitely not fitting into that category.

I have had the Kenda Kanines on backorder since February of last year. For quite some time there was no projected arrival date. Around February of this year we received a projected delivery date of sometime in April. When we got close to that date they bumped it back a week and they have been doing this ever since. Right now it shows availability on 05/13. But I won't be surprise if before that date, it gets moved to 05/20. It's like the word maņana. It doesn't really mean 'Tomorrow'.

Unscrupulous (in my opinion) web sites still list these tires and will let you 'purchase' them. Then, some time later you will get notification that they are 'Out of Stock'. (Believe me, they have been OOS for a LONG time). They leave them up because they hope they can sell you something else. I am not say that NO ONE has them. But I'd be surprised. I suggest calling first before processing a CC with whoever says they still have them.
    Thanks Ron, for this added bit of info ..... "mecsw500 " who posted above yours in His paragraph #2.- thinks the NEW Kanine's can be used on a " SMART " car .... frankly I find this hard to believe, because I've been told ( on this forum ) that the Kanine's are still labeled " for Special Motorcycle use ONLY ", this would actually prevent them from Legally be mounted on any Auto ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-07-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Darn good information Ron!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks Ron, for this added bit of info ..... "mecsw500 " who posted above yours in His paragraph #2.- thinks the NEW Kanine's can be used on a " SMART " car .... frankly I find this hard to believe, because I've been told ( on this forum ) that the Kanine's are still labeled " for Special Motorcycle use ONLY ", this would actually prevent them from Legally be mounted on any Auto ..... JMHO ..... Mike
    Yes, people apparently have been known to fit the 165/65r15 KR20s to Smart cars. Smarts have used an almost infinite variety of tire sizes (and wheel sizes) in various models since they first came out. I would imagine 4 KR20s would be OK for tire loading as the Smart car is not much more than 50% heavier than a RT LTD. It would need more pressure of course. I doubt dealers would fit them, but Smarts are often modified by owners in an attempt (usually in vain) to get them to not under steer or over steer depending upon the model. Having driven a couple, I can safely say the Spyder is probably the much better handling of the two. I thought the Smart car was just plain dangerous especially in the wet, like a Reliant Robin with 4 wheels. They tried to swap ends at the slightest provocation. I think the model I read that had the KR20s fitted to it was a Passion Cabriolet and the owners were in Malaysia if I recall, as whatever their OEM tire was, they couldn't get any. In the way we look at car tire alternatives to provide better solutions, apparently some Smart car owners have been experimenting with the other way round. From what I understood, the logic is that it is felt the Smart car is too light to work well with conventional car tires as it can't get them up to a decent operating temperature and their sidewalls are too stiff (they do ride like a jackhammer to your spine). This suggests they must be able to get the KR20s from somewhere. I don't suppose those willing to experiment in such things care much about the legality of it, the same way some Gold Wing owners fit car tires to the rear of their bikes. Perhaps running them at a higher pressure than 18 psi, they might be a reasonable alternative for some Smart car models, I don't know. I just thought it was kind of funny that something we are trying to get away from as of questionable quality is something that other groups were looking to as a "performance" alternative because they are expensive (and hence "better") and they couldn't get the OEM tires because of supply chain issues.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    Yes, people apparently have been known to fit the 165/65r15 KR20s to Smart cars. Smarts have used an almost infinite variety of tire sizes (and wheel sizes) in various models since they first came out. I would imagine 4 KR20s would be OK for tire loading as the Smart car is not much more than 50% heavier than a RT LTD. It would need more pressure of course. I doubt dealers would fit them, but Smarts are often modified by owners in an attempt (usually in vain) to get them to not under steer or over steer depending upon the model. Having driven a couple, I can safely say the Spyder is probably the much better handling of the two. I thought the Smart car was just plain dangerous especially in the wet, like a Reliant Robin with 4 wheels. They tried to swap ends at the slightest provocation. I think the model I read that had the KR20s fitted to it was a Passion Cabriolet and the owners were in Malaysia if I recall, as whatever their OEM tire was, they couldn't get any. In the way we look at car tire alternatives to provide better solutions, apparently some Smart car owners have been experimenting with the other way round. From what I understood, the logic is that it is felt the Smart car is too light to work well with conventional car tires as it can't get them up to a decent operating temperature and their sidewalls are too stiff (they do ride like a jackhammer to your spine). This suggests they must be able to get the KR20s from somewhere. I don't suppose those willing to experiment in such things care much about the legality of it, the same way some Gold Wing owners fit car tires to the rear of their bikes. Perhaps running them at a higher pressure than 18 psi, they might be a reasonable alternative for some Smart car models, I don't know. I just thought it was kind of funny that something we are trying to get away from as of questionable quality is something that other groups were looking to as a "performance" alternative because they are expensive (and hence "better") and they couldn't get the OEM tires because of supply chain issues.
    ... from what I've read about the Kenda Spyder tires, they already are just about at their weight limit on an RT... So another 1000+ lbs (of Smart Car) is way beyond what the Kenda's can handle.... And if the person doing an Auto inspection (some States do have them) and he is even Half competent, when they see "for special motorcycle use ONLY" embossed on the sidewall, do you think he's going to PASS that car???? .... Well, I'm done with this topic, you do whatever you think is best.... good luck.... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2024 at 06:46 PM. Reason: ONY = ONLY ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... from what I've read about the Kenda Spyder tires, they already are just about at their weight limit on an RT.... So another 1000+ lbs (of Smart Car) is way beyond what the Kenda's can handle.... And if the person doing an Auto inspection (some States do have them) and he is even Half competent, when they see "for special motorcycle use ONLY" embossed on the sidewall, do you think he's going to PASS that car???? .... Well, I'm done with this topic, you do whatever you think is best.... good luck.... Mike
    Yeah, I'm with Mike on this - while here in Oz the MINIMUM Load/Speed Rating for Smart Cars is 77T, and running anything less than this is illegal & fairly strictly policed, the few 165/....15 Kenda Kanines that I've seen had a load/speed rating of 55H, which means their max load PER TIRE is 481 lbs, so 4 tires under an auto could carry 1924 lbs & according to goggle a 2008 Smart Car runs out to 1952 lbs curb weight & a 2017 Smart ForTwo tips the scales at 2050 lbs . So if it was down to me, even without considering the fairly high potential for poorly constructed tires from Kenda, I really wouldn't be going ANYWHERE NEAR a Smart Car running Kendas!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2024 at 06:45 PM. Reason: speed??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...I have looked at My Kenda Kanine and it only shows the tread as 3 ply. The sidewall is only a one
    ply. This is a October 2020 made rear tire.

This is on my Spyder. ......
    Not sure about all the fuss about this tire. I have one installed on my Spyder because that's the only tire the Dealer would install. I hope this clears up some of the confusion. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2024 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Not sure about all the fuss about this tire. I have one installed on my Spyder because that's the only tire the Dealer would install. I hope this clears up some of the confusion. ....
    "fuss about this tire" ??? .... Well Peter and I, and others here too, are well aware that a weakly made tire is more likely to suffer "catastrophic" failure while driving at speed. If this occurs, I don't care that we have Three of them. IMHO bad things are going to happen. It's too bad that your dealer won't accommodate your wishes. ...... good luck ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2024 at 06:43 PM.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is now 3-23-2024 and they are still on backorder status. I've been told there is an app 20 day wait and they have to be paid for before they will order one at my dealer. I ordered the rear tire on 3-15-2024 and I was called the other day. It is supposed to be released on 4-1-2024. You would think BRP would have figured it out in a year.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2024 at 06:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    It is now 3-23-2024 and they are still on backorder status. I've been told there is an app 20 day wait and they have to be paid for before they will order one at my dealer. I ordered the rear tire on 3-15-2024 and I was called the other day. It is supposed to be released on 4-1-2024. You would think BRP would have figured it out in a year.
    If you're still talking about the Kenda Kanines, BRP doesn't really have anything to do with them; from what I have found out about them, they are a KENDA product that's been produced by Kenda in an attempt to get more sales of those particular type of tires with Spyder Owners, cos so many Owners simply won't use the BRP OEM stuff!!

Apparently, any dealer supplying/fitting Kanines in lieu of the OEM Spec Kendas risks the same sanctions from BRP that they'd risk by fitting any other A/mkt tire!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you're still talking about the Kenda Kanines, BRP doesn't really have anything to do with them; from what I have found out about them, they are a KENDA product that's been produced by Kenda in an attempt to get more sales of those particular type of tires with Spyder Owners, cos so many Owners simply won't use the BRP OEM stuff!!

Apparently, any dealer supplying/fitting Kanines in lieu of the OEM Spec Kendas risks the same sanctions from BRP that they'd risk by fitting any other A/mkt tire!

Just Sayin'
    ....and let me add , I have seen the specs for those " Kanines " and they are very similar to the Kenda Spyder tires. .... I suggest you get some decent Auto tires ..... you will be much happier .....JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Available from Amazon for $97.97 for a Wednesday delivery, well here in Utah anyway.

Might try them. They have fronts too.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Well, I ordered my Riken rear, and picked it up from tirerack's distribution center. Now, I have to get it mounted. I need to find a local shop who is willing to do the fun part. There is 1 shop I know of that might do it. About an hour away. So, I may take the ride, but their wknd hours are limited. Would have to figure it out for a weekday. Gotta work
    I called around about the Kanine late last year when they were on back order. I think I will go the way of many here and give the Qs a try on the front. Anyone in North Ga\Metro Atlanta region know of any decent mom and pop shops? I like the folks I mentioned a couple of statements up, but trying to get there during the week is becoming more logistically challenging. Plus, don't want to risk getting them in trouble with the folks in suits.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Well, I ordered my Riken rear, and picked it up from tirerack's distribution center. Now, I have to get it mounted. I need to find a local shop who is willing to do the fun part. There is 1 shop I know of that might do it. About an hour away. So, I may take the ride, but their wknd hours are limited. Would have to figure it out for a weekday. Gotta work
    I called around about the Kanine late last year when they were on back order. I think I will go the way of many here and give the Qs a try on the front. Anyone in North Ga\Metro Atlanta region know of any decent mom and pop shops? I like the folks I mentioned a couple of statements up, but trying to get there during the week is becoming more logistically challenging. Plus, don't want to risk getting them in trouble with the folks in suits.
    They say the rear tire is a pretty easy FIY with a set of tire spoons, as it has a good drop center area. One just has to be able to break the beads loose. This is how I break the back bead on my SxS bead loc rims.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 03-24-2024 at 09:18 AM.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Why would you want a Kenda when the are far superior car tires out there for way less $$?
    That is the same question that was on my mind. Why stress onself out trying to find a crap tire, when there are a number of readily available honest-to-gosh very good car tires out there for about the same money. And there are dealers out there - and I think more are starting to - that will install them. Maybe try doing a search for dealers within, say 100-150- miles from you, call each one, and you might get lucky.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 03-24-2024 at 08:35 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic