Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Duece View Post
    So yesterday after work I go out for a short local ride. While waiting at a stoplight a guy on a Harley rides up next to me and says "NICE SNOWMOBILE BUDDY". I didn't know whether it was an insult or a compliment. The light turned green I said "Thank You" and rode off. Anyone else ever get interesting comments like that? Just curious.
    I get the stares but no real bad comments or hand gestures for some time now.

I rode to South Barrington last night for dinner with 6 other Spyderlovers. On the way home a car load of 18-21 year olds had their jaws dropped open and were hooting and a hollering about my GS. It seemed they liked it.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Not quite like your old ski-doo. The Spyder rides a lot better and doesn't throw gas in your lap like those machines from the 60's did.
    You speak "Tillotsen"??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

So yesterday after work I go out for a short local ride. While waiting at a stoplight a guy on a Harley rides up next to me and says "NICE SNOWMOBILE BUDDY". I didn't know whether it was an insult or a compliment. The light turned green I said "Thank You" and rode off. Anyone else ever get interesting comments like that? Just curious.
    I had the snowmobile comment once, I told him it's set up for the road right now and I like the ski package for snow but the best is the pontoons for water. It left him speechless.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

that happened to me i stated back to him snowmobiles don't have tires LOL

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I got the nice snowmobile a lot, If you take it as an insult, In you mind it will become an insult.
    Some People say a lot of things just to start a conversation , Not to insult.

I have gotten a few of those comments and I agree with you. It all depends on how you handle that "initial moment" on how the rest of the conversation goes. If you get insulted and defensive, it all goes south. However, since we all love our rides, and don't give a rats behind if anyone else does or not,,, I have found that a confident smile and a joke back goes a LONG way to making sure you have a good remainder of the meeting. And it is easy to do, because I do love my Spyder and if they don't, then their loss!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Germainiac64 View Post
    I have had a bunch of 2 wheel riders make the comment about my 3 wheel snowmobile to which I say "Thanks You". Insult or not, I consider it envy on their part.

I am waiting to see some innovative mechanic or engineer come up with a design to add skis to the front wheels and a drive belt for the rear so it can convert to a snowmobile.

Envy for sure. Hey, I remember when being seen on a HD was not the vogue thing it is today and has been for the last 15 or so years. There was a reputation before Willie G got back in for the bikes to be notoriously unreliable, assembled with hammers (admitted to by a guy working on the line) and needed regular service whether ridden or not. Even more when ridden. The "old reliable" carb models were sometimes anything but!

Here we all are on the bleeding edge of technology asking about things that HD has not even yet considered. Think of how much more is in the spyder than any offered HD.
    Last edited by Huntindawg1962; 06-13-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Default Snowmobile?

Down here if you said it was like a snowmobile a likely response would be "What's a snowmobile?" (Snow is the white stuff on the Christmas cards right?). Hard to compare it with my winter ride when it is my winter ride!

Spyder Garage

Default blow them away

that was not a compliment. next time, just blow them away. it's easily done. the adrenaiine rush is fun too.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

you're right, there aren't too many hd's that can do 0 to 60 in under four seconds. at the next stop light, when they finally catch up, you through out the line "what took you so long?"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Based on the wording, I believe it was an insult.
    However, your reply was perfect. He probably was looking for a smart a** reply. A polite Thank you was in order.
    ive not had any of those comments yet. But only been riding a few weeks. Just been nice compliments. Except the one guy in Illinois who commented at the light " I've never seen one of those BMW's with 3 wheels."
    duh?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyme View Post
    Except the one guy in Illinois who commented at the light " I've never seen one of those BMW's with 3 wheels."
    duh?
    BRP BMW, Close enough for the great unwashed to mix them up, Besides BRP Oops BMW has one with 4 wheels running around Europe.

Spyder Garage

I had a couple of teeny boppers drive up next to me in a rattling tin can acting like a car....They asked whats that? and laughed.. I said a spyder....then I looked over their "wheels" and said whats that, and i laughed... all in good fun..for me anyway..
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

The funny part is that I'd say 95% of the comments I get all start the same way: "How does that thing ride?", to which I nearly always reply, "Like a street-legal snowmobile."

So how can it be an insult if it's true?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you give them your biggest,goofiest grin with a real hearty, "Thanks!", what can go wrong?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tripod thingie.....

At last month's Rose City Motorcycle Club's monthly breakfast, I was coming out to get something out of the frunk when a bystander asked if "That was my "tripod thingie"?" Couldn't answer him 'cause I was laughing too hard!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you give them your biggest,goofiest grin with a real hearty, "Thanks!", what can go wrong?
    !!!

Spyder Garage

Default "Nice Snowmobile buddy"!

Wow I feel much better now everyone. At first I was gonna yell discrimination but figured what good would that do? All kidding aside, I'm pretty easy going and don't get offended easily. I do agree though most comments good or bad are used as an ice breaker to strike up a conversation. Having way too much fun.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    There actually is a kit that converts a snowmobile to a street legal trike (similar looking to a can-am). http://reversetrike.com/sls.html
    The kit costs $6,600 I can't imagine what a Arctic Cat 1100 turbo would be like on wheels without the nanny Throw a simple hijacker box on it and you'd have 225 hp on pump gas and weighing 590 lbs
    Wow, this is up! I knew I had seen a guy at a Lowell, MA Bike Night 2 years ago that was able to change between track and wheels, had no idea about this place!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd like to see a review of just how a converted snowmobile functions as a streetbike...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's at lest a picture of one of the converted sleds...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Gotta shorten the life of the track and sliders, They need snow for lubrication.
    I remember one year in the early 70's no snow but plenty cold, We would run them on our lake, with no snow on top we had to replace the sliders almost every two weeks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about a big, fat, chain-driven tire out back?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A bit more about the rear drive...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have ridden with the same MC off and on since 1989... first on HD's, now on my Spyder... we are a "non-specific-motorcycle-brand" MC so I used to get (friendly) grief from the metric riders in my HD days, but I have yet to get any based on the Spyder (won't get into other grief I get ). I get a lot of questions (all of which have been stated here) ranging from genuine interest to genuinely stupid.. I just answer all with my enthusiasm showing... funny thing is the most veiled grief I get is from "conventional trike" riders in the MC (or otherwise).. not sure why..

Being deep in South Central TX, the snowmobile question/comparison rarely comes up...
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A bit more about the rear drive...
    And the NANNY???