Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Problems F3T SM6

Posting this in case it helps someone else out in the future.

I have been noticing that it was getting difficult to get the bike into neutral pretty much since we bought it. I figured it was just an adjustment that needed to be done, possibly needed to bleed the system. Decided I would look into it the next time I serviced the bike. Then on April 29th, we were out on a ride. My wife motions for me to pull off. She was on the Spyder and I was on my Connie. When we stop, she tells me there is something wrong with the clutch and that the bike is still trying to move forward when she has the clutch lever all the way against the grip. It wasn't bad, and you wouldn't even notice it unless you released the brake. What got her attention was the location of the friction zone had changed. At this point we were a 2 hour ride from home. I told her to follow me back and try to avoid stopping as much as possible. I picked a route that would allow us to avoid almost all stops just to get it back home.

Once home, I decided to go ahead and bleed the system. There was no air in it, and bleeding it made no change in the symptoms. One thing that did concern me was the fact that when I tapped lightly on the lever with the cap off the master cylinder (a technique I have used on every other bike I own) Fluid would shoot straight up out of the master cylinder. It was as if there was a blockage somewhere in the system. At this point I decided I would utilize the warranty.

May 5th, I trailer it to the dealership where I bought it. I let them know that I have a ride planned for Memorial day weekend and request to get it back fixed before then. 2weeks later, they call me and tell me that the steels are burnt and warped. They try to tell me that is the cause of the issue. I tell them "that is the result, not the cause" The bike has not been abused. No riding the clutch, burnouts, or anything like that. I remind them that I need the bike back for a memorial day weekend trip we had planned and ask them to just get it fixed. They gave me a quote on the repair cost, but said they will still submit it to BRP to see if they will cover it under warranty. They want receipts from the Can Am oil change kit I used for the first oil change. They sent the receipt along with pictures of the rear tire to BRP. Found out about a week later that the warranty claim was denied. I tell them "fine, just install them and get the bike back to me for our ride." I couldn't believe what I heard next. They not only hadn't installed them, they hadn't even ordered the parts yet!!! I jumped all over him and told him I was now going to have to cancel the trip we had planned. I then told him the dates of the next trip I had booked, 6/18/18. I had better have it back by then!

Next call I get about a week and a half to two weeks later. Guy tells me, "I have some good new and some bad news." The good news is BRP is now covering the replacement of the steels, because the bad news is it didn't fix the problem. They had a new master cylinder and slave cylinder on order. Should arrive in 3 days. I was told they would install the day they arrive and I could pick it up any time after that. When I didn't get a call saying it was ready, I called them. The replacement master cylinder and slave cylinder didn't fix the problem. At this point, they had no clue what could be causing it. They now had their "most experienced mechanic" pulling it apart to see if he could figure out the problem.

Long story short, this went on for a few more weeks. We missed the second trip. I threatened lemon law lawsuit, then they finally figured out that BRP didn't lock tight the nut on the back of the clutch basket and it had backed off. The manual calls for green lock tight. There was none. They ended up replacing every part in the the clutch and returned the bike to me on July 14th.

If you have the same problem with yours, save yourself the headache and check that nut early in the process. It is #42 in the exploded view in the link below.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...882/clutch-sm6
    Last edited by Poseidon; 07-21-2018 at 09:18 AM.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Sorry you had to go through all that ruining your trips due to the back and forth. Well the only good thing is they got it fixed although I wonder about the nut you mentioned. The #42 holds the vacuum assist system in place and the #18 hold the clutch package on the shaft. Nevertheless something that should have been checked when they removed the plates...and when they installed the new one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Steels ???

am not following what is meant by --- the steels are bad and burnt ?

Spyder Garage

Default possibly both ?

unless you mean clutch & friction plates

Spyder Garage

That sneaky little unreliability spyder came out from its hiding place yet again to bite.

At least you weren't a thousand miles from home - maybe next time, maybe.

How many miles on your Connie and how many significant problems with it?
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Sorry you had to go through all that ruining your trips due to the back and forth. Well the only good thing is they got it fixed although I wonder about the nut you mentioned. The #42 holds the vacuum assist system in place and the #18 hold the clutch package on the shaft. Nevertheless something that should have been checked when they removed the plates...and when they installed the new one...
    We didn't actually have to cancel the trips, but my wife did have to ride 2up with me vs riding her Spyder like she wanted to. This whole warranty process with bikes is total BS. Take your car or truck in for warranty work, They actually work on the vehicle and fix it. They will call along the way if something isn't covered and give you a price quote. If there is any delay, it is only a day or two to get parts. 70 days to fix a clutch issue is ridiculous!!!

I didn't actually see the nut. Just going by what the mechanic told me. He said it was the furthest nut in, behind the basket. Required them to disassemble the clutch further than they had previously. He described it as having a "wave" washer that puts spring tension on the nut. He said that washer is probably the reason it held out as long as it did. By being loose, it didn't allow the clutch to fully disengage the driveline. When he got to it, he could spin the nut with his fingers, didn't have to put a wrench on it at all.
    Last edited by Poseidon; 07-22-2018 at 02:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    am not following what is meant by --- the steels are bad and burnt ?
    Sorry, I was referring to the metal plates between the friction plates. I have always referred to them as "steels". They replaced both the friction plates and the steel plates.
    Last edited by Poseidon; 07-22-2018 at 03:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    That sneaky little unreliability spyder came out from its hiding place yet again to bite.

At least you weren't a thousand miles from home - maybe next time, maybe.

How many miles on your Connie and how many significant problems with it?
    Just bought the Connie in December. I have almost 5000 miles on it. Other than wearing the front and rear OEM tires out in the first 3400 miles, I've had no issues with it at all.

Spyder Garage

It must be a blue one I reckon. It will be interesting to compare reliability. From my 10year experience with em I think I know which will be virtually trouble free.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    It must be a blue one I reckon. It will be interesting to compare reliability. From my 10year experience with em I think I know which will be virtually trouble free.
    I've seen you posting over on the ZGGTR forum. I have the same user name there.

Yeah, it's blue...

Spyder Garage

ha ha, no secrets here then. I have the red one now. The silver one got written off 2 years ago, thankfully I didn't.

Ride safe.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    We didn't actually have to cancel the trips, but my wife did have to ride 2up with me vs riding her Spyder like she wanted to. This whole warranty process with bikes is total BS. Take your car or truck in for warranty work, They actually work on the vehicle and fix it. They will call along the way if something isn't covered and give you a price quote. If there is any delay, it is only a day or two to get parts. 70 days to fix a clutch issue is ridiculous!!!

I didn't actually see the nut. Just going by what the mechanic told me. He said it was the furthest nut in, behind the basket. Required them to disassemble the clutch further than they had previously. He described it as having a "wave" washer that puts spring tension on the nut. He said that washer is probably the reason it held out as long as it did. By being loose, it didn't allow the clutch to fully disengage the driveline. When he got to it, he could spin the nut with his fingers, didn't have to put a wrench on it at all.
    Glad the trip went on then that would be the #18 nut. Hope they will now dig a bit deeper when dealing with a clutch failure....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Glad the trip went on then that would be the #18 nut. Hope they will now dig a bit deeper when dealing with a clutch failure....
    If it is #18, they should have been able to see it when the steels and friction plates were replaced. The mechanic said it was behind all of the clutch components. That is why I figured it had to be #42. If it was #18, how could they have missed it the supposedly 8 times they had it apart trying to figure out what the issue was?!?!

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed....

If it is #18, they should have been able to see it when the steels and friction plates were replaced. The mechanic said it was behind all of the clutch components. That is why I figured it had to be #42. If it was #18, how could they have missed it the supposedly 8 times they had it apart trying to figure out what the issue was?!?!
    Depending on how loose that nut was, that basket should have had wiggle room and be very noticeable. #18 holds the basket onto the shaft and all the rest is attached to it. I normally would remove everything down to the shaft to inspect and clean even if only changing plates and discs.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you finally got Georgia's spyder back. I know she is one happy camper. Really looking forward to seeing you 2 again this October. Looks like we have a few other M109 brothers that will be joining us for this rally. Mark Rowe has actually been in contact with me quite a bit. He is currently looking for a spyder for his wife. Ride safe bro.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Glad you finally got Georgia's spyder back. I know she is one happy camper. Really looking forward to seeing you 2 again this October. Looks like we have a few other M109 brothers that will be joining us for this rally. Mark Rowe has actually been in contact with me quite a bit. He is currently looking for a spyder for his wife. Ride safe bro.
    Thats cool. Hopefully Mark can make it out in October too. Any other 9's definitely coming?

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thats cool. Hopefully Mark can make it out in October too. Any other 9's definitely coming?
    I am not good with names, but we have 3 definites, and 2 maybes (including Big Mike). Then I will be bringing my normal 3 other spyder friends from the Raleigh area. Ben (Stltiger) also picked up a spyder for his wife. Hopefully they will be able to make it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am not good with names, but we have 3 definites, and 2 maybes (including Big Mike). Then I will be bringing my normal 3 other spyder friends from the Raleigh area. Ben (Stltiger) also picked up a spyder for his wife. Hopefully they will be able to make it.
    Looking forward to the meet and riding that area again. Planning to bring the Connie this time. Only a month away. Can’t wait!!!

Spyder Garage

Poseidon, glad you posted this. My friend has a '16 RT sm6 that is creeping and EXTREMELY hard to shift at times and 5th gear is a real bear to shift into. He's had it serviced, just as you did, new slave cylinder, new master cylinder, same results! My question is, did this finally "fix" your clutch issue?

Spyder Garage

Me too, I am having a hell of a time with the gearbox at the moment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jefftripp1100 View Post
    Poseidon, glad you posted this. My friend has a '16 RT sm6 that is creeping and EXTREMELY hard to shift at times and 5th gear is a real bear to shift into. He's had it serviced, just as you did, new slave cylinder, new master cylinder, same results! My question is, did this finally "fix" your clutch issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    Me too, I am having a hell of a time with the gearbox at the moment.
    Sorry for the delayed response. I haven’t been on this site in a long time. I had someone else PM me about this issue so I jumped on to reply to him and saw your posts.

We have not had any issues since we got it back from the dealership in July of 2018.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the delayed response. I haven’t been on this site in a long time. I had someone else PM me about this issue so I jumped on to reply to him and saw your posts.

We have not had any issues since we got it back from the dealership in July of 2018.
    I eventually got mine fixed, it appears that there is an insignificant circlip and the end of one rod or other, each time I used the clutch the clip was distorting, so much to the point where there was no clutch at all, had to ride all the way back to the UK from Norway with no clutch.

Ended up that the guy in the workshop had never seen the like, had the shaft machined and fitted a different kind o f fixing mechanism.

The gearbox has never been so good.

Another one in the eye for the lousy design on these over priced and overengineered heaps.

FWIW I still consider the GS/RS a better bike all round, excepting of course, the equally over engineered, poorly finished bad design.