Spyder Garage

Default LED Headlight Question

I am looking to replace my OEM headlights with LED headlights. I see one (Lamonster) that does not have a cooling fan and others (Slingmod) that do have a cooling fan. Are cooling fans necessary - do you have to worry about the fan breaking and causing heat issues and possible damage? The reviews report significant improvements when using LED's so (my) safety is my prime concern. Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I would install the ones without the fan. If the light runs hot enough to need one and doesn't have one, it will likely fail. If the light has enough of a heat sink to not need a fan, there is nothing to fail.

There are two popular options here, the ones from LaMonster (which I just installed) and the 360° ones from TricLED. I don't know which one might be "better", but I am somewhat impressed with LaMonster's.

I generally don't have much faith in conversions, like putting LED sources into housings designed for tungsten filaments, but these seem to work quite well.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would use LaMonsters. Here's the big reason why. LEDs are supposed to have a smooth cutoff in the pattern otherwise you'll blind oncoming traffic. The OEM halogen lights have that cutoff as do the LaMonster LEDs. The 360* Slingmods LEDs have just that pattern, 360*. There is no/very little cutoff. I want to be able to see but I'm not willing to blind other traffic to do so.

Spyder Garage

While on the subject.....Is there a way to be able to turn the headlights on (2017 F3L) WITHOUT the engine running? I want to do it in my garage, so do not want the motor on.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Lamonster! Never had a problem with them..........
    IMG_20190208_175956.jpg
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    While on the subject.....Is there a way to be able to turn the headlights on (2017 F3L) WITHOUT the engine running? I want to do it in my garage, so do not want the motor on.
    Not that I know of. As I understand it, the computer has to see that the engine is running at least 800 RPM before it tells the lights to turn on.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I would use LaMonsters. Here's the big reason why. LEDs are supposed to have a smooth cutoff in the pattern otherwise you'll blind oncoming traffic. The OEM halogen lights have that cutoff as do the LaMonster LEDs. The 360* Slingmods LEDs have just that pattern, 360*. There is no/very little cutoff. I want to be able to see but I'm not willing to blind other traffic to do so.
    The bulb has very little, if anything, to do with the shape of the beam. That is handled by the projector bowl and lens design and the shutter. In fact as I see it, a 360° LED will more closely emit the light pattern that an incandescent bulb emits, i.e., 360° around the centerline of the bulb. Of course, this comment applies only to LED bulbs that are designed to replace incandescent bulbs, not LED headlight bulbs that are a complete light assembly in themselves.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You probably could add some wiring and a switch to activate the headlight relay directly from battery power. You'd have to study the wiring diagram to see how to do it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I would use the Lamonster Bulbs. They come with an allen wrench to properly align the bulb. Headlight Revolution has a Video on alignment and why.

Spyder Garage

Another vote here for Lamonsters lights. We put them in both my wife's and my Spyders. Unbelievable change from the original lights. Much brighter than stock.

Just my opinion and yours may vary.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You probably could add some wiring and a switch to activate the headlight relay directly from battery power. You'd have to study the wiring diagram to see how to do it.
    I think I will take up brain surgery first, then understanding BRP's diagram will be easier.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I think I will take up brain surgery first, then understanding BRP's diagram will be easier.
    Isn't that the truth!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

OK, I got 'er done. Took the bike out in the dark of night and got the headlight adjusted to where I like them. TAKE NOTE: On the F3, Clockwise on the adjusting screw is DOWN.

Spyder Garage

I am going to refer you to this recent post. It explains the why and how of LED lighting and which bulbs are best
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ht-information
    2011 rt , pearl white