Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Oh good Lord.

Never mind. You guys are wound WAY too tightly.

You've entirely missed the point. And the moment is lost on you.

Please put me on both of your ignore lists, I'd hate to cause you all this distress!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I get it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rcspyder12 View Post
    I get it
    Me too SteveMac! Some People are definitely wound up here! Relax, breath in, now out!
    Last edited by Netminder; 11-08-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe a Jousting Tournament with the Spyders would burn off some of the excess hormones that are floating around in here...
    monster energy motorcycle.jpgsegway-jousting.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-08-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This is a very conflicted post.

I think everyone understands that you love your ride and that your original post was a wistful recounting of your 'Relationship' with your Honda. You were not looking for validation, you were just sharing.

It is BECAUSE this is clearly understood that some decided to warn you, and others, that this practice is not good for your beloved Goldwing, Spyder, whatever. Reality can be a cruel thing.

I almost posted similar remarks but I had a feeling that they would not be well received.

They say that 85% of engine wear occurs at cold start-up.

Starting a cold engine and not running it to full operating temperature increases moisture and fuel contamination in the oil.

You're also draining the battery as you're not giving the charging system time to recover the amps used in start-up.

How big a deal this is in the overall scope of things only you can decide. Not trying to rain on your parade, most of us care greatly for our favorite vehicle so we understand.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I fully understand your original post, Steve . . . late night occasionally finds me in the garage, pondering the next step . . . do I need some particular farkle? How can I get more airflow under the Tupperware? Most recently, it has had to do with visualizing how to create a set of muffs that won't interfere with any of the controls. I plan to make them out of an old wetsuit that hasn't been SCUBA diving in over 20 years! But sometimes, it is just to sit there and think about the next ride . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    ! But sometimes, it is just to sit there and think about the next ride . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Moved the spyder to the left stall yesterday. moved the Yamaha(snowmobile) to the right of the spyder. left stall is for inactive machines. Now I go out and dream about the upcoming sled season. But if it makes you guys/gals happy go for it! better than sitting on the couch complaining. Oh, I got what your meaning was.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

I think everyone understands that you love your ride and that your original post was a wistful recounting of your 'Relationship' with your Honda. You were not looking for validation, you were just sharing.

It is BECAUSE this is clearly understood that some decided to warn you, and others, that this practice is not good for your beloved Goldwing, Spyder, whatever. Reality can be a cruel thing.

I almost posted similar remarks but I had a feeling that they would not be well received.

Starting a cold engine and not running it to full operating temperature increases moisture and fuel contamination in the oil.

You're also draining the battery as you're not giving the charging system time to recover the amps used in start-up.

How big a deal this is in the overall scope of things only you can decide. Not trying to rain on your parade, most of us care greatly for our favorite vehicle so we understand.

Ron

First, you know I think the world of ya!
    But, having said that, this reminds me (for some funny reason) of that scene in Braveheart where William Wallace sees Robert The Bruce unmasked! I am feeling beaten and bloody and abandoned. JOKING!

OK. Here is the secret. I didn't even actually start the Wing last night. I did start it several days ago and ran it quite a while. I didn't ride because I had too much stuff sitting around it and I couldn't get it out of the garage easily.

And that that single start and run a few days ago was the first and only time in the past couple of weeks. So I think the risk of damage is slight to non existent. It is also on a maintainer, so she is charged and ready to go.

Do I think damage could be caused by frequently starting and running for a short time? Sure. But again folks are taking the post "literally" and that was not my intent.

I will work harder to make sure that everyone knows the context of future poetic musings. Maybe a disclaimer in my sig line!

Ron, I am smiling as I type this, so take the following pic as a sign of endearment!!!

Oh no,,, not you too!!!
    image.jpg
    Last edited by SteveMac; 11-08-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

You Guys AND Girls (Least I get ignored) should purchase a Thermal Suiit from BajaRon ( Our Friendly vendor) and Ride ALL winter!!!

Even after the Blizzard last year I was back up Zooming around the Interstates for a Few afternoons each week- Really makes the winter go by Much faster?? Get up on the Highway and Dodge "Texters?"

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    You Guys AND Girls (Least I get ignored) should purchase a Thermal Suiit from BajaRon ( Our Friendly vendor) and Ride ALL winter!!!

Even after the Blizzard last year I was back up Zooming around the Interstates for a Few afternoons each week- Really makes the winter go by Much faster?? Get up on the Highway and Dodge "Texters?"
    . . . I got a Firstgear Thermal Suit from Ron this year! I bought it big enough that I can wear my summer riding gear under it . . . just in case . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

So this got me to thinking. I do not want to wear out my engine prematurely, so how do I warm my engine before I start it up?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    So this got me to thinking. I do not want to wear out my engine prematurely, so how do I warm my engine before I start it up?
    I am thinking that start up and then driving off is not the culprit here. Any ryde that gets the motor up to full operating temperature is good. Since I am near highway with hills, it does not take long for my to reach operating temperature.

Starting the in the garage and running it for five minutes or so is the culprit that most are referring to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does this mean I can't go and start my chainsaw, weedeater, lawn mower, Massey 8600, Cessna 421...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Uhhhhh.. you can't!

Unless you were to find a way to spin the oil pump over, and build up pressure in the system before thumbing the start button...
    I think!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A hair dryer? . . . or

Spyder Garage

I remember seeing in Siberia they lit fires under the engine to defrost them so I suppose that's always an option:-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Roger,
    I think that your pain meds might need a bit of "tweaking"...

Jim,
    No laws up here; just neighbors with deer rifles, and an overwhelming desire to sight them in on a moment's notice!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Roger,
    I think that your pain meds might need a bit of "tweaking"... . . .
    And here I was, thinking that he must have great meds and wondering how could get the same ones . . .

Spyder Garage

Default Epic Fail

Last edited by SteveMac; 11-08-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I luv this cartoon.

Steve, only on spyderlovers can a man and his machine be so misunderstood. You might have gotten a little too deep for this crowd.

It's past midnight, but I just went outside, started my spyder, and let her run for 30 seconds in a salute to you! Dream on brother, there are those of us who understand.

BTW, where can I buy some of that poet wax??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thoughts !

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Steve ......... keep those thoughts coming, but you need a different picture here. You know one that shows a big pot being stirred !!! Don't worry ..... we understand you !!

MOgang Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ?????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Steve,
    You rock!!

Guys... don't worry about his bike; it's a Honda...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-08-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default bonding

Ya -- I do it (regardless of the tightly wound replies) -- but I usually end up taking it out for a short spin after standing there watching it idle -- cold or not -- my bad!!