Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery electrical leak

Well, I 'think' I have one. How would I check this with a volt meter?
    I guess the battery could be shot but, it is kept on a battery tender full time so, that 'should not' be the issue.
    Thanks!
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    I guess the battery could be shot but, it is kept on a battery tender full time so, that 'should not' be the issue.
    Thanks!
    Well unfortunately a CHARGED reading on a Tender or Maintainer is not a guarantee that the Battery in question actually has a Full charge.... I have had false readings on a few batteries I have had on a Maintainer ………. someone will explain the Volt meter thing …… Mike

Spyder Garage

A test light will do the trick. Un-hook the negative side of the battery and put one side of the test light ( usually the one with the clip ) on it. Then touch the probe/lighted light end to the negative cable end. If the battery lights---- you have a leak somewhere. These test lights are very useful if you're looking for a hot wire ( ignition on or off ) on your car or spyder.

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-02-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: speeling & tersting too!
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Wrong conclusion.
    All batteries eventually wear out.
    Keeping it on a tender will only extend the time to death, not eliminate it.

If you think your battery is bad, then it probably IS.

After you get a new one, the charging voltage of the tender should be checked.
    A good float voltage is somewhere around 13.2 volts.

The new battery should be fully charged BEFORE installing it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike- Dont trust the battery Tender either. I would unplug and plug back in at times just to be sure its working.

Mine has looked good showing green but when it was time the battery was dead.

You can always take the battery to a autozone and they can test it for you too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    A test light will do the trick. Un hook the negative side of the battery and put one side of the test light ( usually the one with the clip ) on it. Then touch the probe/lighted light end to the negative cable end. If the battery lights---- you have a leak somewhere. Th Lew Lese terst lights are very useful if you looking for a hot wire ( ignition on or off ) on your car or spyder.

Lew L
    Lew, What's a "Lew Lese terst lights"? Is that an LED test light or something different?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

A test light will do the trick. Un hook the negative side of the battery and put one side of the test light ( usually the one with the clip ) on it. Then touch the probe/lighted light end to the negative cable end. If the battery lights---- you have a leak somewhere. Th Lew Lese terst lights are very useful if you looking for a hot wire ( ignition on or off ) on your car or spyder. Lew L
    There can be "draws" that are enough to light a test light and still drain a battery. I would use a DVOM (Digital Volt/Ohm Meter) personally....

OP, just because the battery shows a "full" charge doesn't mean that it isn't what we call a "surface charge". While it "looks good" it will fail under a load test (like when you go to actually crank it) due to things like sulfation, specific gravity reduction etc... If you are sure your connections are tight and the "maintainer" is working correctly, take the battery to an auto parts place and have it load tested. It most likely will fail....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    There can be "draws" that are NOT enough to light a test light and still drain a battery..
    I think you left out a "not" there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Why do you think that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Electrical 'leak' and failing battery are two very different things.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Electrical 'leak' and failing battery are two very different things.
    Not to a novice they aren't. They look almost identical without some simple tests.

AND.....the failing battery often "self" discharges at a really high rate.....which is essentially a "leak".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Not to a novice they aren't. They look almost identical without some simple tests.

AND.....the failing battery often "self" discharges at a really high rate.....which is essentially a "leak".
    Which is why it would be more helpful for him to explain what the symptoms are rather than saying he thinks he has a leak.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Lew, What's a "Lew Lese terst lights"? Is that an LED test light or something different?
    No it isn't. My left pinky finger hits the wrong key and words get transposed, inserted, ect. I'm suggesting a simple test light, inexpensive at any auto parts store. Again--- they are very useful.

But thanks for pointing out my poor typing------ I've corrected it in the original post so as not to confuse anyone.

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    There can be "draws" that are enough to light a test light and still drain a battery. I would use a DVOM (Digital Volt/Ohm Meter) personally....
    If it lights the test light even a little, current is flowing. Yes I have a $100 Fluke VOM------ but for the simple stuff I use a $5 test probe and it works great.
    Next go to the fuse block. Using the fast and easy to use test/light probe and look for current flow. EASY to locate which circuit is draining the current.

Spyder Garage

FYIit may be any combination of things Batteries don't like the cold either. A good load test is in order & maybe a full charge not just a maintainer. The battery proably could use some cycling if been sitting too long, made to be used not sit is another helpful aspect of a load test & by all means good time to clean terminals & connections ,just for reassurance

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it lights the test light even a little, current is flowing. Yes I have a $100 Fluke VOM------ but for the simple stuff I use a $5 test probe and it works great.
    Next go to the fuse block. Using the fast and easy to use test/light probe and look for current flow. EASY to locate which circuit is draining the current.
    Lew, doesn't the test light probe just indicate the presence of voltage? Not sure you can check for current with one of those. Maybe I'm not understanding your post.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    First of all, there are electronics on a Spyder that draw power all the time, even with the ignition turned off. If your battery runs down enough to not start the bike after about 2 to 3 weeks then you probably have a battery that is about to die. If it takes 6 weeks plus to draw down enough to not start, the battery is probably OK.

As others have said, keeping it on a tender does not guarantee that it will stay it top notch condition. The main benefit of the tender is to replenish the charge that all the electronics sap away while the bike is sitting not doing anything.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Lew, doesn't the test prove just indicate the presence of voltage? Not sure you can check for current with one of those. Maybe I'm not understanding your post.
    Hi Pete,
    If the light on the probe lights up-- current ( even a little ) is flowing. If we'er talking one or 5 milli amps, it might not light up. The quality VOM is the tool for that. The electrical potential ( voltage ) is there but not flowing ( current or amperage) unless there is a closed circuit with a load( A light, clock, computer, ect.) .

Neal,
    Just a thought here. You have ALOT of electrical things added to your . Consider checking all connections and wires for chaffing

The last time I used the light/probe I was installing Muth signal mirrors on my wife car. Used a wire diagram from Chevy and checked it with the pointy probe in a few seconds. Easy Peasy.

There must be an electrical genius on the forum who can explain it more simply than I.

This problem COULD boil down to a loose battery connection. It has happened to our 's many times as queried about on this forum. I believe I would start with a quality VOM and measure battery voltage with the motor running and then not running. The OP's spyder seems too new to have a bad battery, but heat and vibration kill our 12 volt batteries. I still have the original in my and just replaced the battery in my 2006 Magnum RT. Yes, 12 years on the original battery

Hope winter is being good to you guys in southern Utah. We are about to get blasted again. Feet of snow is predicted.

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,
    If the light on the probe lights up-- current ( even a little ) is flowing. If we'er talking one or 5 milli amps, it might not light up. The quality VOM is the tool for that. The electrical potential ( voltage ) is there but not flowing ( current or amperage) unless there is a closed circuit with a load( A light, clock, computer, ect.) .

The last time I used the light/probe I was installing Muth signal mirrors on my wife car. Used a wire diagram from Chevy and checked it with the pointy probe in a few seconds. Easy Peasy.
    There must be an electrical genius on the forum who can explain it more simply than I.
    Now I get it. You have the test light leads in series with the circuit. I hadn't thought of doing that, but it does make sense.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    How old is the battery? 3 years is about the max to expect. Once a battery is shot, no amount of charging will bring it back to life.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the delay. The battery is only 1 year old, maintained on the charger. But, it is a bit slow to turn over, even for a second crank when warm. I’ll have it checked but, I will just replace it if any weakness shows up...it is not worth getting stranded!
    Thanks for all the good info!
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for the delay. The battery is only 1 year old, maintained on the charger. But, it is a bit slow to turn over, even for a second crank when warm. I’ll have it checked but, I will just replace it if any weakness shows up...it is not worth getting stranded!
    Thanks for all the good info!
    That's more likely a bad connection, not a bad battery, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anybody asked about how many riding seasons that battery has faced?
    If iut's more than three: there's a good chance that it's ready to be recycled.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How warm is the oil? I turned mine over in - 30 deg weather and yes it was slow but it started. And my battery is 5 years old.

Bike will turn over slow when oil is a bit thick too.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

I would remove the battery and then have it 'Load Tested". Auto Zone will do this for FREE. Good Luck
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue