Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm an honest member now!

Picked up my Sea to Sky Friday (3/26). I have just over 700 miles on it now. I got the handling/steering down pretty much now, but I haven't completely gotten over the feeling I'm going to tip it over every time I round a curve/corner. I enrolled in a Canam rider course and it's set for middle of April...looking forward to it. Practically everyone said enroll in a rider course, and I thought I don't need a riding course...I need a riding course!

I have several questions that I'll probably post to this thread if I don't find the answer in other threads.

Question #1: There is a pretty big clunking sound when shifting into reverse and back again to first; is this normal? Dealer said it was, but I don't trust what a salesman tells me.

Question #2: There is a shaft coming out of the left side of the engine case and it has splines on the end of it but nothing attached, it is missing something or is that normal? If it were a two-wheeled bike it looks like the shaft the gear shifter would go on???

Statement - Mine did come with the idler pulley/belt tensioner installed. I assume it was done at the factory and not a dealer install item.

I told my wife this may be the funnest bike I have ever owned, she said even over your dirt bikes? Okay may be a tie, but it's a lot of fun to ride and not as tiring to me as riding two wheels. The seat on the S2S is maybe the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a bike!

Spyder Garage

Welcome! You'll love it. To answer your questions, #1 Yes, the clunk is normal. #2 That is the remnant of the manual shift lever. Not used on the SE transmission. To really get the most out of your new bike, Please read the owners manual completely and then search here for anything else. There are great people here that will answer any question you may have. Of course, you may get ribbed a little, especially if your answer can be found in the manual, but all in all, you'll find this a great forum for new members.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes on the clunking.

Thats normal on the spline shaft. Dont worry about it . That would be for a manual shift Spyder. Yours is not used.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

Welcome to the Spyder Forum. Let the Smile Miles roll. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

and

Here is a good read if you have not done so already:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome! You’re gonna love it!
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I agree 100% with Jetfixer regarding the operator's guide; there is a wealth of information in it. Additionally, if you go to this link, http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og, and drill down to the 2021 RT you can download a copy and have it on your computer to save trips to the garage for the guide on your Spyder. Good luck and safe riding!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Welcome! You'll love it. To answer your questions, #1 Yes, the clunk is normal. #2 That is the remnant of the manual shift lever. Not used on the SE transmission. To really get the most out of your new bike, Please read the owners manual completely and then search here for anything else. There are great people here that will answer any question you may have. Of course, you may get ribbed a little, especially if your answer can be found in the manual, but all in all, you'll find this a great forum for new members.
    Thanks for the reassurance on the clunk and shift shaft.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    and

Here is a good read if you have not done so already:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    I had read that previously but went back and re-read with your suggestion. Much more of it makes sense now that I actually have a small amount of experience with the Spyder, thanks for the suggestion.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I agree 100% with Jetfixer regarding the operator's guide; there is a wealth of information in it. Additionally, if you go to this link, http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og, and drill down to the 2021 RT you can download a copy and have it on your computer to save trips to the garage for the guide on your Spyder. Good luck and safe riding!
    I have read the owners manual cover to cover and made notes for future reference as well. I also have partially scoured Canam's website and discovered the link to download the manual and did so I'll have a copy to refer to as I travel.

Spyder Garage

Anyone looking at buying, or is already an owner of a Spyder needs to be a member! Tons of info here and great people to boot.

Take care,
    John
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

Welcome!
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

item #2, you didn't waste anytime getting down and dirty on the floor to see the shaft end spline to have that question!!! you also saw the idler tensioner. what else was under there, any road kill yet!!!

anyhow, welcome. a bigger wealth of info than looking at your manual, is visit this website daily, if you miss some days, look at "whats new". soak up all that knowlegde
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I haven't completely gotten over the feeling I'm going to tip it over every time I round a curve/corner. I enrolled in a Canam rider course and it's set for middle of April...looking forward to it. Practically everyone said enroll in a rider course, and I thought I don't need a riding course...I need a riding course!

I wouldn't worry about the Spyder tipping over. When I took the BRP course the instructor had us do some very quick, hard turns just to prove that they were indeed very hard to turn over. I had a ton more of experience than anyone else and was really quite aggressive on the course. The instructor picked up on this and asked me to trust him and I said ok. He had me to go much faster than the others and when he gave me the signal to swerve I actually got the bike up on two wheels. It never once felt to me like it was going to turn over. He then told everyone that this was what he was trying to show them, that they are hard to turn over.

For me the school was a blast! I only took it to get my license as I had never actually had one.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Now ride and enjoy your new Spyder and post some pictures.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Spyder New member

Welcome to the Spyder forum and the 3 wheel experience. You will love the spyder once you get use to the handling.
    Ryde safe and enjoy the ryde.
    Artie
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    item #2, you didn't waste anytime getting down and dirty on the floor to see the shaft end spline to have that question!!! you also saw the idler tensioner. what else was under there, any road kill yet!!!
    Haha, I got down on the floor to look underneath it to see if it did have the belt idler pulley and to see if there were any oil leaks/blow by. No oil seen, thank goodness! Both of those reasons for looking under it were from reading threads here. Amazing what you can learn here and there are some pretty smart people on here too.

No road kill yet, although I am learning how to straddle pot holes with a three wheeled vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post

Now ride and enjoy your new Spyder and post some pictures.

Toby
    Nothing anybody here hasn't seen before, but posterity sake here is a pic I took just after getting home from picking it new up from the dealer.

99BEF9C4-8C4E-4D36-9FAB-03C557E40B29.jpg

Edit: I'm going to have to read up on how to post a pic to this form without it being rotated.

Spyder Garage

Forget the clunks and ride it like you stole it!

Spyder Garage

Congratulations!

I also got a Sea to Sky.

Ensure that your signature lights are working. Those are the "eyebrow" lights on the front at the base of the frunk cover. I noticed after I had my bike for like a week that mine were not coming on when the bike starts like they should.

I took the bike to the dealer and they looked at it, checked the fuses etc (all things I did before taking it in) but they could figure it out and wanted me to bring it back a week later and leave it. I had found the install manual for the lights online and had a feeling they just were plugged in because I could see the plug when looking up in the right wheel well.

Unfortunately my wife was out of town so I had no ride home if I dropped it off so I found a video online about how to take off the Tupperware, which was surprisingly easy so I took it off and sure enough the factory had installed the lights and just missed plugging them in.

I wrote to Can Am and told them they needed to take a look at the quality control to confirm everything is working before it ships.
    I also let the dealer know, and canceled my service appointment. They said they were adding it to their checklist to ensure all lights work.

Oh, one other thing I wanted to mention. I took the passenger backrest off my bike and sent it to Utopia Products. Bob there makes custom drivers backrests which I had read on here were the best. With my passenger backrest to compare to he is making me a custom driver's backrest that will match the seat. Same leather pattern and gold stitching. He said now he will be able to make them for others as well. I will post pictures when I get it back.

Have fun riding your S2S! I love mine!

2021-02-20_16-52-05_170 (2).jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky , Highland Green

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the post @Twidget. I’m loving my S2S. I’m was pretty sure I had seen my signature lights lit, but double checked after reading your post. Mine are working but that’s good info to know. My bike did throw a code when the dealer initialized the bike related to the brakes. Turned out one of the calipers was leaking and they had to replace it prior to delivery. I agree that it seems Can-Am needs to up their game in regards to quality control.

I was able to get the dealer to include a BRP backrest as part of my deal, but they had to order it as they didn’t have one in stock. Like many things in this Covid world the backrest is not expected to be here until July. I don’t know if the BRP backrest has gold stitching or not since it fits more than just the Sea to Sky. Post a pic of yours when you get it.

Congrats on yours too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2021 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Quote

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
    Oh, one other thing I wanted to mention. I took the passenger backrest off my bike and sent it to Utopia Products. Bob there makes custom drivers backrests which I had read on here were the best. With my passenger backrest to compare to he is making me a custom driver's backrest that will match the seat. Same leather pattern and gold stitching. He said now he will be able to make them for others as well. I will post pictures when I get it back.
    2021-02-20_16-52-05_170 (2).jpg
    I received and installed my CanAm backrest for my S2S. Can’t say I’m overly impressed with it, we’ll see after some seat time.

@Twidget I may still be interested in the Utopia backrest with stitching to match the rest of the seat, so don’t forgot to let us know your thoughts when you get yours and post some pics.

Spyder Garage

I also at 1st had the feeling the bike was going to tip over in corners & curves. Coming from 60+ years on 2 wheels this was a strange beast too me. What correct it all for me was to lean into the corner/curve much like a motorcycle and braces myself on the floorboard. When turning right lean to the right and brace with the left floorboard and the opposite when turning left. Made a huge difference in my comfort level. With me it wasn’t so much the Spyder was going to turn over as it pushed really hard or plowed ahead instead of coming around the corner I hope this makes sense . Additionally when my wife was on board at first she would sit straight up in a corner or actually let the bike make her lean the opposite way and that really made it plow ahead instead of corner nicely. This surprised me as she had ridden thousand & thousands of mile with me on 2 wheelers but I guess the Spyder plate form seemed totally different to her.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Spyder Garage

I started to figure out that I need to lean into a corner to counteract the tip over feeling. Took my wife out for her first ride on Easter Sunday. We were out for about 6 hours and put on 200 miles. Later she said I noticed you were really leaning into the turns and curves, I said I could see you in my mirror and you were sitting straight up when I was leaning, didn’t you feel like you were going to fall off the high side, she simply said no! So I guess it’s more a perception than an actual physical force! After what you said about plowing through corners I think it might help me out if she’d lean into the curve just a little too! I’ll see next time we go out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    I also at 1st had the feeling the bike was going to tip over in corners & curves. Coming from 60+ years on 2 wheels this was a strange beast too me. What correct it all for me was to lean into the corner/curve much like a motorcycle and braces myself on the floorboard. When turning right lean to the right and brace with the left floorboard and the opposite when turning left. Made a huge difference in my comfort level. With me it wasn’t so much the Spyder was going to turn over as it pushed really hard or plowed ahead instead of coming around the corner I hope this makes sense . Additionally when my wife was on board at first she would sit straight up in a corner or actually let the bike make her lean the opposite way and that really made it plow ahead instead of corner nicely. This surprised me as she had ridden thousand & thousands of mile with me on 2 wheelers but I guess the Spyder plate form seemed totally different to her.