Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do the 2021 RT Ltd's have a belt idler? If not, which one fits? Best?

I see that the RT idler pulley service kit, 219800419, only fits the 2014 to 2019 models. Did BRP change something on the new models or is there an idler that comes stock on them? I didn't lay on the show room floor and look at the belt when I ordered my bike. Thanks for any info.

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2020 and did not have one. I got mine from Lamonster as it has a bigger bearing than the one from BRP
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rumor has it that the 2021 Sea to Sky trim comes with the OEM harmonic vibration dampening device (aka belt tensioner). AFAIK, NO other Spyder (RT or F3 or any of the various trim levels) come with one. I had the Lamonster version on my '18 RTL and have the same on my '21 RT base. Buy aftermarket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Rumor has it that the 2021 Sea to Sky trim comes with the OEM harmonic vibration dampening device (aka belt tensioner). AFAIK, NO other Spyder (RT or F3 or any of the various trim levels) come with one. I had the Lamonster version on my '18 RTL and have the same on my '21 RT base. Buy aftermarket.
    Did you install yourself, difficult? What was the result? Didn't you also do front tires and maybe the front sprocket update? Results of those? Getting my sprocket on next week on my early '21. Not sure what else I want to to. 700 miles so far, got the whine at 45-50, seems to track ok but don't have anything to compare it to as my first Spyder. Wired in the GPS to right side myself. Thnx.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Rumor has it that the 2021 Sea to Sky trim comes with the OEM harmonic vibration dampening device (aka belt tensioner).
    In the BRP introduction video for the Sea To Sky there's no mention of a OEM harmonic dampener as standard equipment. I don't think that BRP would miss an opportunity to tout that device. Especially since they worked in 3-optional items(lighted floorboards, adjustable handlebar riser, and adjustable upper & lower air vents) that left the casual observer that these were part of the Sea To Sky package.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    In the BRP introduction video for the Sea To Sky there's no mention of a OEM harmonic dampener as standard equipment. I don't think that BRP would miss an opportunity to tout that device. Especially since they worked in 3-optional items(lighted floorboards, adjustable handlebar riser, and adjustable upper & lower air vents) that left the casual observer that these were part of the Sea To Sky package.
    That's why I said "rumor has it...". Personally, I think anyone who got a 2021 in any flavor that had the belt tensioner got a dealer add on instead of a factory thing but there have been quite a few new S2S owners who've said theirs came with it. In any case, if they DID add it to the S2S, they're NOT going to bring it to anyone's attention. That would just draw attention to the Spyder deficiencies. They've never made a big deal about the upgraded front pulley, either.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Did you install yourself, difficult? What was the result? Didn't you also do front tires and maybe the front sprocket update? Results of those? Getting my sprocket on next week on my early '21. Not sure what else I want to to. 700 miles so far, got the whine at 45-50, seems to track ok but don't have anything to compare it to as my first Spyder. Wired in the GPS to right side myself. Thnx.
    I installed it on my '18. The shop installed it on my '21 only because I wasn't sure yet how to remove that last big piece of tupperware. Both bolt on the same with just 2 bolts. The only part you could (in theory) screw up is the alignment. You really need to ensure the tensioner arm and the belt are parallel to each other or the bearing will wear out faster. There's enough wiggle room in the bolt holes that this isn't a problem.

I put a set of Q5s on the front but haven't really had a chance to see how they perform. I tried to beat the rain today and only got about an hour ride. So far, they seem pretty damn good compared to the OEM Kendas. I have less than $200 in the tires (incl mounting/balancing) and I think it was worth every penny. Most of my really curvy roads are up in the mountains and those have been pretty inaccessable most of the winter. Spring is here and I'm hoping to get on those soon so I can really tell how big the difference is.

I replace my front sprocket and unless I can convince the dealer to do it under warranty, I probably won't. I have a quiet helmet and I wear earplugs (trying to save what hearing I have left) so I really don't hear it. If I'm riding around town with the earplugs out and the music off, I can hear it but it doesn't really bother me, at least not enough to spend $300 of my own money to "fix" it.

Glad to hear you got the GPS wired in. Told ya it was easy.

Spyder Garage

I have a February 2021 RTL Chrome and it came with an idler pulley/belt tensioner from the factory. Its hidden by a plastic shield on the left side.
    Spyder Stephen
    I can't be lost, I don't know where I'm going...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderStephen View Post
    I have a February 2021 RTL Chrome and it came with an idler pulley/belt tensioner from the factory. Its hidden by a plastic shield on the left side.
    How do you know it came from the factory? They're all mounted under the big piece of tupperware on the left side.

Spyder Garage

The service manual "implies" that the idler was factory installed, and I believe in some of the early Can Am promotional videos they mentioned it also. However, I have a February 2020 build date RTL that did not come with it. I have since added it, though.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I'm wandering if the tensioner is also on the late 2021 f3 LTD. Took another test ride Saturday and I didnt get any vibration at any speed up to 78 mph

Spyder Garage

I just took delivery of my 2021 RTL last week and it had the tensioner on it. I noticed it didn't have the belt vibration at 70ish MPH so I looked and there was a tensioner on it.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    I just took delivery of my 2021 RTL last week and it had the tensioner on it. I noticed it didn't have the belt vibration at 70ish MPH so I looked and there was a tensioner on it.
    That doesn't mean it came from the factory. I think there are quite a few dealers that KNOW about the inherent vibration issue and are proactively adding the OEM units before they sell them.

Spyder Garage

Got down on the floor with a flashlight and looked at my belt but could not see the area where I think the idler would be installed. As SpyderSteven said its hidden by the plastic shield and not sure that comes off without first taking off the other tupperware. Mine is an early '21 produced in June of 20.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's about 1/2 way between the front of the saddlebag and the rear of the fairing. It rides on top of the upper section of belt. To install one, you'd need to remove (4) pieces of tupperware on the left side. The 1st (3) pieces are easy. The final piece is a bit more time consuming but do-able.

Spyder Garage

Watched the video so I had idea of location, seemed a little daunting getting there.. Install very simple once you're there. Still wondering if it's possible to see without removing anything, some here said they knew they had it so wondering where/how they looked.

I'm getting the revised front pulley next week so got to wondering about having it installed when they are already there. Would get the Lamonster version due to improved bearings. But, need to have on hand before dealer breaks it down.

Is there any disadvantage to the idler? Not sure I can tell if I need one but seems like a good idea as even BRP mentions it to reduce noise but accessory also says up to 2019s. From what I read there may be no change on the 20s and 21s but maybe BRP improved elsewhere??

Spyder Garage

Is there any disadvantage to the idler? N
    Only that you have to keep a check on it to make sure the bearing are not going bad and that the roller is in good shape. Once you know where it is and how it works you can reach up under the left side and do the check by feel.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

It's very easy to see, look in from the rear tire/floor area on the left side. You'll need a flashlight. You can then see all the way to the front pully.

Spyder Garage

I could see all the way to front pulley but something blocking the view where the idler would be on the top of belt.

Spyder Garage

I watched Lamonster video again so think I can look up there and at least feel the roller if not the attachment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    It's very easy to see, look in from the rear tire/floor area on the left side. You'll need a flashlight. You can then see all the way to the front pully.
    Ok, I had my head too far forward. Looking down the top of the belt I don't see one.

Spyder Garage

Ok, I had my head too far forward. Looking down the top of the belt I don't see one.
    If you order one the one that Lamonster has a bigger roller and bearing and last's much longer.

Spyder Garage

Hi K80, I have a 2020 RTL and wanted to get your opinion on the Lamonster "idler pulley kit", I'm unable to find the pros and cons of this item? Does it do the job, and what is that job? Is it worth the time and money?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    The service manual "implies" that the idler was factory installed, and I believe in some of the early Can Am promotional videos they mentioned it also. However, I have a February 2020 build date RTL that did not come with it. I have since added it, though.
    How difficult was the removal of panels on left side if you did it yourself? I watched a video and the steps here but not sure I want to get into that. I did remove right side to wire my GPS and that wasn't bad but the left side seems a different animal. I have an RT June '20 build and it doesn't have it. What did you notice in ride after install?

Spyder Garage

It's not difficult to install, just time consuming getting the panels removed. If, and that's a big if, you have a belt vibration, at usually around 70-75 MPH, you would benefit from the belt idler. Not all Spyders develop this vibration for some reason. You'll know you need it if at say, 73 mph you get a strong vibration but it goes away at 76 mph or higher, or 70 mph and slower. A belt idler rides on the top, smooth surface of the belt and is spring loaded. That allows it to absorb the bouncing of the belt at certain speeds that you feel as vibration. If your bike doesn't give you that vibration, or if you don't spend a lot of time at highway speeds, you really wouldn't benefit from installing an idler.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red