Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've driven over Fall River road in a car. That is scarry as hell Just went over the paved Rocky Mountain Park road a couple weeks ago. Windy, VERY windy that day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    I see the ryker is marketed to do a little off pavement....are we not suppose to be doing that with our F3s?? I ride dirt and gravel with no issues. Just wondering.

My feelings exactly. I tend to ride my RT where eer I want to go. I live on a dirt and gravel road, about 1/2 mile long, and didn't realize that I shouldn't be riding it there. I also live out in the country, so many of our toads are dirt or sand. 20,000 miles so far with no problems.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I've driven over Fall River road in a car. That is scarry as hell Just went over the paved Rocky Mountain Park road a couple weeks ago. Windy, VERY windy that day.
    it's nearly always windy up top and there's a section that we call "the meat locker" because the winds coming up out of the valley with the glaciers is super cold. It's still one of the most beautiful places on earth and I go up there a lot. Easy for me since I live so close and get off work usually around 3, so I can go after work when it's less crowded.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    it's nearly always windy up top and there's a section that we call "the meat locker" because the winds coming up out of the valley with the glaciers is super cold. It's still one of the most beautiful places on earth and I go up there a lot. Easy for me since I live so close and get off work usually around 3, so I can go after work when it's less crowded.
    Yes, there is some road construction in the "meat locker" area when we were there I think. Had to wait about 10 minutes.......it was cold. I agree one of the most beautiful places anywhere. Love to go there. I've always wanted to live in Estes Park.

Spyder Garage

Waiting to see them do a jump on the Ryker. Guessing it will ressemble the Cadillac ranch style upon landing.

Seriously, whos kidding who. Dirt road worthy yes, dirt worthy out of the box. Nope, not even close.

Spyder Garage

Retro paint and graphics schemes for the Ryker Adventure trike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Retro paint and graphics schemes for the Ryker Adventure trike.
    Actually they already do. It's called Heritage White
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    You're close to me -- come with me one of these days and I'll lead the way.
    I have been up that road many times in various vehicles but a RT Spyder. Hmmmmm.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    I have been up that road many times in various vehicles but a RT Spyder. Hmmmmm.
    I did it on my RT for the 2 years that I owned it.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

What about that exposed radiator, the first time two Rykers ride on a gravel road, one will have a hole in the rad.....?

Spyder Garage

On the longer BRP vid (different thread here on the Ryker forum), it looked like there was extra protection for the Rally edition. Other than that, you're probably on your own. When my hubby and I ride together on dirt/gravel roads he hangs way back because I'm usually leading and I do kick up rocks.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I would take it with a grain of salt. Its your Ryker, its your money.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The after market is full of screens for the radiators on liquid cooled Motorcycles, ATV's and Side by Sides.

Of course............who likes to personalize their motorized toy.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the experience hasn't been all bad riding a RT or F3 on gravel roads. I've been a little over-protective by avoiding the roads given that the Spyder's are belt driven.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Off Road

I think the majority are correct the offroad means dirt road, fire road, etc.. not really offroad. That said, the CVT is definitely better in this environment than either the SE or SM for a number of reasons, not the least of which is less sensors to contaminate. The problems I have seen with excessive dirt and Spyders are TCM failures, VSS failures, bent ABS sensor wheels, failed ABS sensors, overheating power steering sensors, and stones in the belt. The stone eventually pokes a hole in the belt and then we change them to calm the fear of an impending failure.
    From a technical standpoint, the Ryker really is much simpler. There just is a whole lot less going on electronically. That means a whole lot less to connect. Many of the issues which occur in a Spyder are either electrical/sensor or pure connectivity (plug) issues. Less is better in a rough environment. As proof, compare an ATV electronic diagram to a Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    I see the ryker is marketed to do a little off pavement....are we not suppose to be doing that with our F3s?? I ride dirt and gravel with no issues. Just wondering.

Spyder Garage

If the belt is the concern for riding dirt or rocky roads it should not be. I have been living on a limerock surface road for 40 years or more. Have to ride a mile going out and a mile coming back in. When I rode chain drive bikes, the mud and grit would eat the chains and sprockets up. I would change the back tire at about 8,000 miles and change the chain and sprockets at the same time.

About 2001 I bought a Harley Sprotster with belt drive. Rode it for about 18 years on the limerock road with the same conditions that ate the chains up. The belts would last at least 50,000 miles. I was not using a belt guard at all. The limerock road has small stones and pieces of shell mixed in and any time they grade the roads, the motorgrader rakes up piles of the small stones and shells into the middle of the road. Belts last just as long on the limerock as some of my friends who never went off the asphalt. I am now riding the F3-S on the same limerock road and feel confident the belt will be good for at least 50,000.

Little note - Where I live is warm and I can ride 365 days a year. I put over 300,000 miles on the old Sportster with 2 top end rebuilds. The belts all lasted at least 50,000 miles. The limerock road is fairly flat and not much chance of bottoming out or dragging except while the grader is working. I can get around that problem. The rocks and shells just do not cause any problems with the belt drive.

This is part of the road to my place.........Hard packed limerock, nasty when wet, but fairly smooth and shallow (most of the time) potholes.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

It is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZh...Ri4SWMzTjuRSsA

Worst thing about riding off highway is CLEANING it! Lots of little crooks and crannies and the textured plastic likes to hold on to the dirt!
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!