Thread: Switch to Elkas

Spyder Garage

Default Switch to Elkas

I am thinking about putting a stage 4 Elka on the rear and then saving my penny's to put stage 2 on the front! My question is it ok to do the rear first and then do the front later? I have a 2016 F3T!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    I am thinking about putting a stage 4 Elka on the rear and then saving my penny's to put stage 2 on the front! My question is it ok to do the rear first and then do the front later? I have a 2016 F3T!

You'll be just fine doing the rear 1st. Ideally a balance is the suspension is best but unless your racing--no problem.. I did the reverse--front 1st with same model Elka's. If you're on the heavier side--the rear 1st might be best anyway.

Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 07-23-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Did you put stage 2 on front and 4 on the back? That what they said would be best when I talked to the Elka rep!

Spyder Garage

Default No problem....

But do both fronts at the same time...good shocks you will appreciate the difference...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    You'll be just fine doing the rear 1st. Ideally a balance is the suspension is best but unless your racing--no problem.. I did the reverse--front 1st with same model Elka's. If you're on the heavier side--the rear 1st might be best anyway.

Darrell
    Im on the heavy side and did the front only, stage 1. Im very happy with the results. The rep at Spyderfest told me the Stock rears are good.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Did you put stage 2 on front and 4 on the back? That what they said would be best when I talked to the Elka rep!
    I actually installed Stage 3 on the front & Stage 2 on the Rear on my 2015 F3's.. There may be some difference in our riding styles, single or double, body weight--the Elka Rep will help you choose.
    d

Spyder Garage

Where did you order yours from wildrice

Spyder Garage

Not sure if you know this but I have heard from many people and I am not 100 % sure that to keep the warranty you have to take the shocks off every year while under warranty and send them back to the factory at your expense. Please dont quote me on this as I said I am not sure if this is true or not..... it wont hurt asking the factory rep.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty and Service

The following are the warranty and service as stated in the manual. I don't find anything that says you can renew or extend your warranty beyond 1 year. This doesn't mean you can't; just that I don't find anything in writing.

Service.jpgWarranty.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Not sure if you know this but I have heard from many people and I am not 100 % sure that to keep the warranty you have to take the shocks off every year while under warranty and send them back to the factory at your expense. Please dont quote me on this as I said I am not sure if this is true or not..... it wont hurt asking the factory rep.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    The following are the warranty and service as stated in the manual. I don't find anything that says you can renew or extend your warranty beyond 1 year. This doesn't mean you can't; just that I don't find anything in writing.

Service.jpgWarranty.jpg
    Thank you for clearing that up my concern would be how reliable are these shocks and maybe some one that has them on can answer do they need to be serviced every year to keep them performing up to standard my idea of a shock would be anything up to 80,000 miles the should perform well with minimal deterioration.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default I'm with you

I'm with you; I don't want a shock I have to service every year, or even anything close to that.

Hopefully we'll hear from others with actual experience.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up my concern would be how reliable are these shocks and maybe some one that has them on can answer do they need to be serviced every year to keep them performing up to standard my idea of a shock would be anything up to 80,000 miles the should perform well with minimal deterioration.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Hi spydernatic,

Re: my idea of a shock would be anything up to 80,000 miles the should perform well with minimal deterioration.

I'm with you.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a full set of Elkas. No Thanks.

I'll find something ( even if just stock when necessary ) before I buy something that has to be serviced that often. That's just nutz,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kwtrucker74 View Post
    I ordered direct from ELKA--spoke with the technician who wanted my weight, riding style, & % of time I had a passenger plus their weight. They set up the shocks according to those parameters. Since then I have backed off the rebound 1 click for a smoother ride over bumps.
    Good Luck,
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kwtrucker74 View Post
    I ordered direct from ELKA--spoke with the technician who wanted my weight, riding style, & % of time I had a passenger plus their weight. They set up the shocks according to those parameters. Since then I have backed off the rebound 1 click for a smoother ride over bumps.
    Good Luck,
    Darrell
    PS: Initially I installed the rear shock with the adjustment screw pointing toward the rear. Thus I had to remove & reinstall the rear with the adjustment screw pointed toward the front for adjustment access. I believe the new ELKA fixed that issue by install an adjustment knob.

Spyder Garage

I put Elka Stage 11 on my F3 T upfront. Huge difference from the factory, I have left the settings alone as of now since I have not had the opportunity to ride to much as I have just had knee replacement. Will experiment in the coming months. BajaRon Sway bar is next.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I'm with you; I don't want a shock I have to service every year, or even anything close to that.

Hopefully we'll hear from others with actual experience.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi spydernatic,

Re: my idea of a shock would be anything up to 80,000 miles the should perform well with minimal deterioration.

I'm with you.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a full set of Elkas. No Thanks.

I'll find something ( even if just stock when necessary ) before I buy something that has to be serviced that often. That's just nutz,

Jerry Baumchen
    Have you guys thought about the Fox Podium 1.5's for the fronts and the Fox Podium RC2.0 for the rear? I have been running these for over a year now. I ride it like I stole it most of the time and have NO loss of performance from them. Set up a notification on ebay for when new items are posted and be a little patient. I got mine there (brand new from a Can Am dealer) for 50% of MSRP!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic