Spyder Garage

Default Secondary Brake Strobe Light Installed

I recently installed this brake strobe light on the Ryker and wanted to share what I think is a great inexpensive safety product, cost is about $24 bucks, and its not just visible at night. I started installing and using these lights on all my bikes after riding behind a Goldwing in the Smoky Mountains that had one on his bike about 10 years ago. I was so impressed that I flagged him down to ask what the heck it was. After getting back home, I ordered one, and I've been using them ever since.

2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Link please

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Link please
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The link is in his YouTube video description.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post

Thanks Monk.

Spyder Garage

Monk, are sure that is not a white light verses red??

It comes in 5 colors, and I do not see where Amazon asks what color you want.

https://www.ledequipped.com/a-1375/

When I put it in the manufactures cart I get this:
    Swift 3.0 TIR 3 watt 4 LED Emergency Vehicle Grill Warning Light Head
    Color:
    Red
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Monk, are sure that is not a white light verses red??
    Its the red, Monk posted the correct link thats in the description under the video on Youtube. I've purchased it several times over the years.

Spyder Garage

Well, it was RED and I installed it this afternoon. I mounted in the trunk/saddle bag recessed area. I install a spring loaded momentary switch to change modes. The Black wire at the tail/brake feed is ground and the white wire is brake lights. All corrections are soldered and shrink wrapped. Switch is tucked away in the rear area of the trunk, and has to be pulled forward to activate. Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Well, it was RED and I installed it this afternoon. I mounted in the trunk/saddle bag recessed area. I install a spring loaded momentary switch to change modes. The Black wire at the tail/brake feed is ground and the white wire is brake lights. All corrections are soldered and shrink wrapped. Switch is tucked away in the rear area of the trunk, and has to be pulled forward to activate. Chris
    Looks like a nice clean install, and good hiding place for the switch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Looks like a nice clean install, and good hiding place for the switch.
    So this new light has a wire for high low that I did not hook up. Now I am wondering if it should have been hooked up for max brightness?

On Edit: I think I found the answer, in that it can be dimmed with the blue wire.

Spyder Garage

So this new light has a wire for high low that I did not hook up. Now I am wondering if it should have been hooked up for max brightness?

On Edit: I think I found the answer, in that it can be dimmed with the blue wire.
    Yes the blue wire will switch it to high or low brightness, I left mine on high. The white wire is for synchronizing with additional lights, really doesn't apply for our application, I snipped it off. I think that is more for additional grill lights on emergency vehicles and such so the flash pattern sync's on all additional lights.

Spyder Garage

Lots of light patterns to play around with.
    PA1. Quad Burst - Split
    PA2. Quad Burst - All
    PA3. Quad Burst – Alternating*
    PA4. Quad - Split
    PA5. Quad - All
    PA6. Quad – Alternating*
    PA7. Single - Split
    PA8. Single - All
    PA9. Single - Alternating*
    PA10. Super Flash - Split
    PA11. Super Flash - All
    PA12. Super Flash - Alternating*
    PA13. Quad/Single w/ Quad Burst - Split
    PA14. Quad/Single w/ Quad Burst
    PA15. Accelerator - Split
    PA16. Accelerator - All
    PA17. Express Flash
    PA18. California Steady with Pulse
    PA19. California Steady
    PA20. Steady All
    PA21. Cycle Flash – Split & All
    PA22. Off

Some would be a bit annoying at a stop light. I have it on PA15 right now, for a balance of get someone attention without being over the top. I wish it had a mode of flashing for a given time and then go steady on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like it! That’s another thing to add to the farkle list. cueman

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of light patterns to play around with.
    PA1. Quad Burst - Split
    PA2. Quad Burst - All
    PA4. Quad - Split
    PA5. Quad - All
    PA6. Quad – Alternating*
    PA7. Single - Split
    PA8. Single - All
    PA9. Single - Alternating*
    PA11. Super Flash - All
    PA16. Accelerator - All
    PA17. Express Flash
    PA19. California Steady
    PA20. Steady All
    PA21. Cycle Flash – Split & All
    PA22. Off

Some would be a bit annoying at a stop light. I have it on PA15 right now, for a balance of get someone attention without being over the top. I wish it had a mode of flashing for a given time and then go steady on.
    If I install this at some point, I want it to be "over the top". I want people behind me to think, "That's the most annoying thing I've ever seen" (as they stop before hitting me).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I install this at some point, I want it to be "over the top". I want people behind me to think, "That's the most annoying thing I've ever seen" (as they stop before hitting me).
    Not me, the last thing I want is the guy behind me so distracted by the flashing lights he hits me. I hate the strobes, and flashy stuff. Headlights too.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Yeah, but if it's annoying enough, then that underlined bit might not stop them hitting you?!?

In fact, in these days of rampant road rage, it could actually encourage some of them to try to hit you!!

Not joking either, it HAS already happened!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Not me, the last thing I want is the guy behind me so distracted by the flashing lights he hits me. I hate the strobes, and flashy stuff. Headlights too.
    Dont know if you own a Ryker, but the brake light is only 19" off the ground. Actually the worst brake light setup on any machine that I've owned over the last 40 years of riding. You are more likely to get rear ended if you dont add an additional brake light higher up, and a strobe even better. The whole Idea is being seen to avoid collision, they're proven, they work. Thats why emergency vehicles have them on the backside of their vehicles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Thats why emergency vehicles have them on the backside of their vehicles."

And they still get run into, and ignored. I certainly can see the sense in having it higher, but strobes just irk the heck out of me.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Yeah, but if it's annoying enough, then that underlined bit might not stop them hitting you?!?

In fact, in these days of rampant road rage, it could actually encourage some of them to try to hit you!!

Not joking either, it HAS already happened!
    We'll just have to agree to disagree, mate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I certainly can see the sense in having it higher, but strobes just irk the heck out of me.
    I agree, they annoy me too, probably annoy everybody. But I'd rather be annoying and be seen, than not annoying and get hit. During day time hours they're really not annoying, night time, they can be. If that is a concern with some, they can always be set to steady non strobe like the factory brake light, they're switchable with a switch. I've been using them for about 10 years all over the southeast, never been an issue, actually more people asking me where they could get it. I was even stopped a few years back for speeding here in Tampa, the cop commented great idea, even let me go with a warning. I was riding a Goldwing at the time. Either way the Rykers are in need of better rear end lighting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish it had a mode of flashing for a given time and then go steady on.
    That would be a deal breaker for me, if it did not have that.

I noticed that PA18 is "California steady with pulse". I was under the impression that, for it to be legal in California, it could flash no more than four times, then had to go steady. Have you looked at that option?

My favorite brake modulator is the Kisan TailBlazer. About average price at $60, it flashes quickly at first, then slows down to a steady light. Probably not legal in California, as it does flash more than four times, but I'm not worried about that. I left California almost 40 years ago. I might vist there, but I'm NOT moving back.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    That would be a deal breaker for me, if it did not have that.

I noticed that PA18 is "California steady with pulse". I was under the impression that, for it to be legal in California, it could flash no more than four times, then had to go steady. Have you looked at that option?

My favorite brake modulator is the Kisan TailBlazer. About average price at $60, it flashes quickly at first, then slows down to a steady light. Probably not legal in California, as it does flash more than four times, but I'm not worried about that. I left California almost 40 years ago. I might vist there, but I'm NOT moving back.

I will go check that again. --- It does not seem to follow the list I posted. And no flash and then steady. The Model I received from Amazon was A-1375, and was $24.95. The same model can be purchased for $17.47 with free shipping from the manufacture LEDequipped.com.

Spyder Garage

Well LED Equiped is not responding, so a went and played with it some more and found the switching between PA numbers sequence is not up through the numbers but in the reserve order. So I am reordering the info from the early post here. And PA21 does not appear to be in the A-1375. Regarding the California ones, their code says no more that four flashes in the first four seconds. (c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.

Switching instructions:
    Less than 1 second for next pattern
    About 3-5 seconds for steady burn
    More than 5 seconds to turn off

PA22. Off
    PA21. Cycle Flash – Split & All Does not appear to be present
    PA20. Steady All
    PA19. California Steady
    PA17. Express Flash
    PA16. Accelerator - All
    PA11. Super Flash - All
    PA9. Single – Alternating*
    PA8. Single - All
    PA7. Single - Split
    PA6. Quad – Alternating*
    PA5. Quad - All
    PA4. Quad - Split
    PA2. Quad Burst - All
    PA1. Quad Burst - Split

Spyder Garage

Now I'm going to have to go check mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Now I'm going to have to go check mine.
    Wear your sun glasses!!!! My eyes were going baty watching the LED lights.