Spyder Garage

Default My 2020 Spyder RTL Side Bag wont open - any ideas?

2020 Spyder RT - how do I open a side bag that won't open? It is not locked, it has been hard to open, now it wont open at all!

Ron
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-14-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First, welcome to SpyderLovers.

If you don't need your side bag open right now, I'd take it to a dealer. Assuming you don't just have it overstuffed, it should be under warranty. If you need the bag open NOW and/or you don't like your dealer, you might try pushing IN on the door/cover whilst you gently pull on the release lever. If you can get it open, try spraying the locking mechanism with some lithium grease.

Spyder Garage

Have you tried pushing the lid in hard and then lifting the latch ?
    I found that worked for me.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I sprayed some (very little) wd 40 it opened and looks ok for now. I'm going to have the dealer look at it on my first oil change . The key lock looks pushed in a little. For now everything is ok. Thanks for the comments

Spyder Garage

Get them to adjust it. It seems to have happened to several of the new style side bags. Someone on here mentioned the adjustment procedure, maybe they will see this and chime in.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it will cleanse any lubricant off. Best to use a good Silicon Lube.

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had the same prob with my 2020 hard bag lid. I could push it in and use the lever to open but that quickly became a hassle. A quick trip to the dealer and a quick fix in the parking lot. How did he do it, I dunno, not much help.

Spyder Garage

The cables on the 2019- models have an adjustment point, I am sure the 2020-2021 must also. I had to adjust mine on my 2018. Also a quick pull on the release seems to work better than a slow pull.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It must have, somewhere, I got tired of crawling up under there searching and took the easy way out, short ride to the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warfels View Post
    I sprayed some (very little) wd 40 it opened and looks ok for now. I'm going to have the dealer look at it on my first oil change . The key lock looks pushed in a little. For now everything is ok. Thanks for the comments
    Lie down with your head under the saddlebag. Use a light, see the cable, then the cable adjuster. Take the slack out; cables stretch. One or two turns, all fixed! Call me if you need help.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnv50 View Post
    WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it will cleanse any lubricant off. Best to use a good Silicon Lube.

johnv
    ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

WD 40-------------Water Displacement formulation # 40. There are MUCH better lubricants out there.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Solved my Open Bag problem. Took off rear seat and that took to screws that hold that small cover under hand grip. Look down the gap and you will see mechanism used to release the bag. Move the one with the little spring back and forth unit it loosens up. I did not need any adjustment just a little wear metal to metal so it did not hang up.

Spyder Garage

Good to know. Thanks for the tip. Will store this in my memory bank (what's left of it) in case of future malfunction. (referring to the bike this time)
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I just checked, you have access to the cable adjustment from under the bag. Fixed mine in 2 minutes. My cable was set to long, I just adjusted the length from under the bag .. just look up, loosen the locking nut and turn and test and turn until it works.

Spyder Garage

I just checked, you have access to the cable adjustment from under the bag. Fixed mine in 2 minutes. My cable was set to long, I just adjusted the length from under the bag .. just look up, loosen the locking nut and turn and test and turn until it works.