Spyder Garage

Default A QUESTION ABOUT THE SM6

To those of you who have ridden both the SM6 & SE6. My preference is the SE6, which I have ridden as a loaner and liked very much. Granted, I have never ridden an SM6, but I have a great chance to get a new 2016 RT SM6 for a really great price. On the SM6, does a heel/toe shifter make a big difference? My current ride is an SE5, and I really like the semi-auto shifting. Anybody have any downside to the SE6?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

More moving parts.

Spyder Garage

Default Confused....

You say you have ryden them both and later say you have not ryden the SM6. If you have ryden motorcycles you know how the manuals work. It is a choice I prefer the manual as you have way more control. If you really like the SE6 I'm sure you can find a good deal on one and then be happy as it is your choice and you don't settle just for a better deal. Many have installed the heel toe shifter and they have worked well so that would not be a problem should you go with the SM...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

some here are confused, I see.
    You have not ridden the SM6 but have ridden the SE6 and the SM5, is what I believe you said.

The "more moving parts" comment is confusing. The SE6 has more parts to operate the clutch and shifter than the SM6.

The SM6 will have much lower resale value. Fact, not fiction.
    The SM6 is not available in 2018 in as many models as previously. This may indicate that it will at some point no longer be offered?
    Some find the SM6 clutch to be difficult to pull. I do not have a problem.
    The transmissions in the Spyders are near bullet proof. I have not been here that long but I do no recall any problems with either the SE6 or SM 6 transmissions and clutches. If any, they are darn few.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden both and I much prefer the manual. The clutch is a really easy pull on the RT and like the early post said, fewer moving parts. Not a fan of heel toe shifters.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hi Dwight,
    Deb loves her SE6 on her F3. She doesn't see any downsides. The nice thing about the SM6 is less parts to go wrong.

Maybe will see you at Spyderquest?????

Spyder Garage

Default TO CLARIFY

I have ridden both the and SE5 & SE6. I have not ridden an SM5 or SM6. I am looking for info on the pros and cons of each. I am partial to the SE's, but have no way to compare to the SM's other than to ask folks here. And to Brian & Deb, we unfortunately will not be at SpyderQuest this year.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have had one SM5. That was my 08. The SE's had not come out yet. The next four were all SE. Three SE5 and one SE6.

The money you save on the SM will come back to haunt you when its time to trade or resell. The SE's outsell the SM's.

Mechanical wise--I have NEVER had a problem with the SE's. Over 120,000 miles logged on SE's.

I recently purchased another Vulcan 900. If I want a manual fix--I just jump on that. I also like the heel/toe shifter. Don't have a lot of strength in my left toe area, the heel shifter is a boon to me.

People either like them or not.

SE trannies are a thing that is upcoming in motorcycles. Most major brands now have at least one in their uplines.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My first spyder was a 2014 RT SM6, and I loved it. The best improvement was a heel toe shifter and floor boards. Without that, I would have been disappointed. I now have a 2016 F3T SE6. I prefer the SE6, but wouldn't hesitate to get a good deal on a SM6, but I would insist on the heel toe shift and floorboards.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    My first spyder was a 2014 RT SM6, and I loved it. The best improvement was a heel toe shifter and floor boards. Without that, I would have been disappointed. I now have a 2016 F3T SE6. I prefer the SE6, but wouldn't hesitate to get a good deal on a SM6, but I would insist on the heel toe shift and floorboards.
    Was the heel/toe shifter your mod, and if so, where did you get it. Do you know if it will work with factory floorboards?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Also interested in where you got the heel/toe shifter and those floor boards? Very nice. As to the OP’s question, SM more control and less parts. I had a Suzuki Burgman 650 prior to my Spyder. It had 2 modes in the Transmission, CVT twist and go, which I loved. And a manual mode where you could shift up and down with your thumb, which I hated. So I figured I would not like the SE transmission. Got the SM6. That being said, if BRP would ever put a true twist and go tranny in a Spyder, i’d Bite in a minute.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    Also interested in where you got the heel/toe shifter and those floor boards? Very nice. As to the OP’s question, SM more control and less parts. I had a Suzuki Burgman 650 prior to my Spyder. It had 2 modes in the Transmission, CVT twist and go, which I loved. And a manual mode where you could shift up and down with your thumb, which I hated. So I figured I would not like the SE transmission. Got the SM6. That being said, if BRP would ever put a true twist and go tranny in a Spyder, i’d Bite in a minute.
    I ordered the floor boards and heel toe shifter from web boards (site sponsor). I think the heel toe shifter is also the same one that you get with one of the other floor board suppliers on the site. I liked it so that I could easily ride to church without scuffing the toe of my shoes. I wish I could get this shifter on my M109.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white