Spyder Garage

Default My First Extended ride on the Ryker

OK, I have spent the majority of my riding time since 2009 on Spyders. (My other rides are a Triumph Sprint ST and a Suzuki DR650 dual sport). To date, I am guessing my Spyder miles to be at around 50,000, the bulk of which have been on RT's. I cut my teeth on GS's, loved the ST's, enjoyed the RT's, but really came to prefer the F3's. My longest three wheeled journey has been 2,200 miles round trip on an RT.
    The vast majority of my rides are less than 100 miles. If I were travelling long distances I would most prefer an F3 Limited, followed by an RT. But, i have found myself attracted to the Ryker Rally. I rode one at the dealer conference in Denver, then had a really great, extended ride on one on Sunday. Here is what I have experienced.
    The Ryker looks small next to a Spyder. It has a really minimalist, basic, old school feel that was barely present on the old RS/GS and virtually non existent on the RT/F3. You can feel the vibration of the engine thru your feet, butt and hands. It has a distinct "character" that carries itself throughout the RPM range. It is smooth, but not RT/F3 smooth. The CVT engages softly and you can purr along at 4k if you are gentle on the throttle. Chugging thru town at 25-45 mph was reasonably quiet and effortless. However, if you are aggressive, it responds in kind. The acceleration is especially brisk to 50mph once the rear tire finds traction, and continued throttle seems very rewarding to 85. At highway speeds the engine sound and feel is noticeable but not too intrusive. Every motorcycle has a sweet spot at highway speeds. The Ryker seems to like 70-75. It will go to triple digits, but isn't pleasant there. (Actually, i don't think any of the Spyders are particularly good at 80+, but an F3 is better at it.) Steering is different on a Ryker than a Spyder. It is most like an F3, where you can really leverage your outside foot pressure on the pegs to set the chassis and "drive" the bike thru the twisties. Only much, much more so in the Ryker. Set the suspension right, and you can pivot the bike thru the apex of the corner using the rear wheel and outside front tire. Run it in Sport or Rally mode and you can drift it hereby steering the bike with the throttle. What I mean i guess is you can "back" this bike into a corner if you like to be uber aggressive like I am. I could never do that as effectively on an F3 and not at all on an RT. Otherwise, if you don't ride it like a fool (me), it takes a bit more effort to steer, but the feedback is positive and very predictable.
    I love the raw feel of the Ryker. I want some vibration and I do not want a liquid smooth experience. I want to feel the road, and I want my bike to really respond to my wants. i might not want to go across the country on a Ryker. I think I'd get tired (steering input) and I'd darn sure need cruise control. I don't know, I'd have to think about it a bit..... But nothing matches this little bike for the thrill it offers. That's it.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for a very good review I am still waiting for mine to come in so I love reading things like this while I wait

Spyder Garage

Very good review.

I think BRP has a winner here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congratulations and a great review.

Spyder Garage

Every review just shows the way people Love it- Whether it be Dank and his Pal- Or SnowCats videos- OR That Stone guy who was a biker and feel in Love with the "Cute" Ryker-OR Shawn Smoaks blogs- Everyone loves it and I have to Watch winter for 2 Months before I can pick it Up??

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Nice Review, they sure look like a lot of fun

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Spyder Garage

Good review. Thanks for all the input.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review....

Thanks for that... nice review and comparison for those on the fence about the ryker. Long trips seem doable so they can stop worrying about that issue....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Every review just shows the way people Love it- Whether it be Dank and his Pal- Or SnowCats videos- OR That Stone guy who was a biker and feel in Love with the "Cute" Ryker-OR Shawn Smoaks blogs- Everyone loves it and I have to Watch winter for 2 Months before I can pick it Up??
    So far all the comments I have gotten on the appearance of mine have been very positive. Everything from the Batmobile to Bumble Bee the transformer. As far as referring to it as "cute", yeah I can see that; in a baby copperhead sort of way.
    IMG_0515.jpg
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Baby Copperhead... that's pretty funny!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    Baby Copperhead... that's pretty funny!
    I fished that baby out of my swimming pool. The water was cold and he was tired and acted the perfect little gentleman. Notice the yellow tip on his tail; just like YellaCat.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Copperheads are very common in parts of Western Pennsylvania. I am going to take a picture of a nature trail head just for you!