Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Pete, goodness do I know what you mean!!! Thanks for sharing this as I had no idea this existed.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Pete, goodness do I know what you mean!!! Thanks for sharing this as I had no idea this existed.
    Rob
    What are you referring to Rob? The unique helmet?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Air flow

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    My helmet is a white HJC-IS Max II. (BTW, I used this opportunity to wash the liner and pads for the first time in 3 years - they were pretty grungy).

I opened up the inside of the helmet (i.e. removed the liner and pads) and blew out the 6 air holes with my compressor. There was no blockage in the ports (holes). I decided not to modify them in any way. Attached are some pics of the helmet inner with and without liner. Should be able to see the six holes, which are in two channels running front to back. Also, the liner has slots in it corresponding to the channels.

So, it is what it is; plenty of venting for a standard, popular helmet, but still inadequate for hot desert riding.

Pete,Pete, Pete,

I removed the liner in my helmet------- and the front holes didn't line up with the vent on top of the helmet!!! Not even close and no flow. The ones in the back were perfect. A few moments with a dremel tool getting them properly lined up will make a big difference. I used my air nozzle with a 3" very thin extension. Poked around with it to see ( feel) for air flow and this led to removing enough foam allow good air flow but not weaken the eps foam.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I removed the liner in my helmet------- and the front holes didn't line up with the vent on top of the helmet!!! Not even close and no flow. The ones in the back were perfect. A few moments with a dremel tool getting them properly lined up will make a big difference. I used my air nozzle with a 3" very thin extension. Poked around with it to see ( feel) for air flow and this led to removing enough foam allow good air flow but not weaken the eps foam.
    Lew, did you see my helmet pics? I removed the liner to check out the vent holes. There are 6 of them.

I put the nozzle from my air compressor into each one to blow out anything (bugs?) that may have become lodged in there. There was no debris, but I did feel the compressed air coming through on the outside of the vents.

So, I'm assuming no blockage at this point and just trying to get more air forced through the channels; hence the scoop on the front.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Lew, did you see my helmet pics? I removed the liner to check out the vent holes. There are 6 of them.

I put the nozzle from my air compressor into each one to blow out anything (bugs?) that may have become lodged in there. There was no debris, but I did feel the compressed air coming through on the outside of the vents.

So, I'm assuming no blockage at this point and just trying to get more air forced through the channels; hence the scoop on the front.

Hi Pete, I hate to assume anything but try this----- take a small, thin ( smaller than a pencil ) probe and gently push it into the two front vent holes--AND look for it in the open top vent. Mine DID NOT show through but now they do. If the holes from the shell and the EPS liner don't line up ----- air flow WILL be restricted alot . I expect my modified vent to work much better. And it still closes if I want it to.

This got me motivated to inspect my wifes helmet. The top vent on her helmet had NO holes for the top ( A fake vent). I did modify the chin bar vent and it will work much better.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete, I hate to assume anything but try this----- take a small, thin ( smaller than a pencil ) probe and gently push it into the two front vent holes--AND look for it in the open top vent. Mine DID NOT show through but now they do. If the holes from the shell and the EPS liner don't line up ----- air flow WILL be restricted alot . I expect my modified vent to work much better. And it still closes if I want it to. This got me motivated to inspect my wifes helmet. The top vent on her helmet had NO holes for the top ( A fake vent). I did modify the chin bar vent and it will work much better.
    Will do. Thanks for the tip. Now, where can I get some pipe cleaners ...?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a new-to-me helmet from Klim that in addition to providing better crash protection also claims full-head ventilation, using a different type of material for the impact liner.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...enture-helmet/

For now it seems to be available only as an adventure riding helmet. Here's a link to Revzilla's website page. https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-sets-it-apart
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Will do. Thanks for the tip. Now, where can I get some pipe cleaners ...?
    Most any drug store used to have them. If you can't find them local, Amazon.com has them. Hobby and craft shops should also have them.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Yes, the unique "cooled" $600 helmet.
    Rob

What are you referring to Rob? The unique helmet?
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Here is a new-to-me helmet from Klim that in addition to providing better crash protection also claims full-head ventilation, using a different type of material for the impact liner.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...enture-helmet/

For now it seems to be available only as an adventure riding helmet. Here's a link to Revzilla's website page. https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-sets-it-apart
    Just saw a similar technology come up in bicycle helmets - think bontrager..?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's another invention, also from India

International Business Times, India: Bengaluru techie designs AC helmets to make rider comfortable.
    https://www.ibtimes.co.in/bengaluru-...ortable-805221
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete, I hate to assume anything but try this----- take a small, thin ( smaller than a pencil ) probe and gently push it into the two front vent holes--AND look for it in the open top vent. Mine DID NOT show through but now they do. If the holes from the shell and the EPS liner don't line up ----- air flow WILL be restricted alot . I expect my modified vent to work much better. And it still closes if I want it to.

This got me motivated to inspect my wifes helmet. The top vent on her helmet had NO holes for the top ( A fake vent). I did modify the chin bar vent and it will work much better.
    Hi Pete,
    At the Nor Cal rally today REALLY noticed how much better my helmet moved air since I made sure the holes in the liner and the top vent/scoop lined up. Whatever it takes---- get them to line up.
    Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,
    At the Nor Cal rally today REALLY noticed how much better my helmet moved air since I made sure the holes in the liner and the top vent/scoop lined up. Whatever it takes---- get them to line up.
    Lew L
    Here's the prototype. Formed out of plastic and attached with 3M double-sided tape. Not sure it's big enough, but will try it out on a trip next week to New Mexico.

Helmet scoops 1.jpgHelmet scoops 2.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Looks good Pete!!

Spyder Garage

Pete, that looks pretty darn good. Can't wait to hear how it works. You may have started a movement!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried out the helmet today and didn't feel much improved airflow. Tomorrow I leave for a 1500 mile trip and I want to fine tune the helmet scoop. So, I did. Here is the result. I'm not going to know if it makes a difference until I'm on the road tomorrow, so no more fine-tuning until I return.

Enlarged scoop.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

After reading through this thread I decided to check my helmet vents. I found a smashed bug in one of the front vents. I removed most of it with a pair of tweezers and then blew the rest out with compressed air. Thanks Pete for making me look at my helmet.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016
    SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera
    Show Chrome Back Rest , Show Chrome Hitch
    Leesure-lite trailer, Harbor Freight tag along trailer (sold)
    Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames
    BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors, DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs,
    DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags, Method to open Frunk and seat without using key,
    LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    After reading through this thread I decided to check my helmet vents. I found a smashed bug in one of the front vents. I removed most of it with a pair of tweezers and then blew the rest out with compressed air. Thanks Pete for making me look at my helmet.
    I just got back from my 2k miles trip and decided to rip into the helmet vents more to see why there was such paltry air flow. I found a dead bee jammed in there for starters! But, also, following Lew's advice, I checked the vent holes (OEM) and sure enough they were more than 1/2 blocked by helmet protective foam. So, I took a 1/4" bit and drilled them both out and with small real slender needlenose picked out what remained of some soft foam that was blocking the airway.

NOW, how do I prevent bugs from blocking the vents in the future? Any ideas?

Helmet scoops 6.jpg Helmet scoops 7.jpg Helmet scoops 5.jpg Helmet scoops 4.jpg Helmet scoops 3.jpg
    Enlarged scoop.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

Well I knew the holes would be partially blocked as my helmet now works much better with the aligned and opened up passages ( ported and relieved so to speak). If you have a dremel tool ------ I'd get in there and round over those inlet holes. If it works on engine intake passages -- it will work on the helmet.

Call me Lew please, Kaos is gone and has left a Great Dane sized footprint on my heart.

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete, I knew the holes would be partially blocked as my helmet now works much better with the aligned and opened up passages ( ported and relieved so to speak). If you have a dremel tool ------ I'd get in there and round over those inlet holes. If it works on engine intake passages -- it will work on the helmet.

Call me Lew please, Kaos is gone and has left a Great Dane sized footprint on my heart. Lew L
    Lew, sorry about the Kaos reference - I've fixed it.

What did you use for a bug screen when you put a larger scoop on your old helmet?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

NOW, how do I prevent bugs from blocking the vents in the future? Any ideas?
    Cover the helmet with Cling Wrap, Pete. (Sorry, couldn’t help myself).
    Great thread, by the way

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Lew, sorry about the Kaos reference - I've fixed it.

What did you use for a bug screen when you put a larger scoop on your old helmet?
    Thanks Pete,

I used regular home screen material, like on your windows at home but I had some aluminum screen. Holds it shape well, a couple of dabs of silicon will hold it in place under that cool cover you made. Also used it on the custom scoop covers I made for my V-Max. Yamaha is big on scoops

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Pete,

I used regular home screen material, like on your windows at home but I had some aluminum screen. Holds it shape well, a couple of dabs of silicon will hold it in place under that cool cover you made. Also used it on the custom scoop covers I made for my V-Max. Yamaha is big on scoops Lew L
    A piece of aluminum screen material is now on order. It's the stuff that's used to keep bugs out of vents, like on an RV so I'm able to get a small section.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Feherhelmets.com
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoolSpyder2014 View Post
    Feher.com.
    Laundry lift ????? http://feher.com/products.html
    2014 RTL Platinum