Spyder Garage

Default Test Pilots Needed...

I am always on the lookout for the best 'Mouse Trap' so to speak. Here is some background.

The NGK Laser Welded spark plugs that come stock on the 1330 ACE Spyder Motor are also used in many OEM factory applications. This spark plug places emphasis on longevity while sacrificing a bit in performance. The Laser Welded plugs have a recommended service interval of 100,000 miles when used in an automotive application.

The Iridium IX Spark Plugs are more targeted towards performance with some sacrifice in longevity. The Iridium IX is designed to deliver a stronger spark giving quicker starts, better throttle response and power. The recommended service interval on the IX spark plug is about 1/2 that of the Laser Welded version.

It has been reported by many that the recommended 28,000 mile service interval for the OEM, Laser Welded spark plugs tends to be a good bit overkill. My feeling is that these plugs will probably go at least twice this distance before actually needing to be replaced. Probably longer. If this is true then it follows that the Iridium IX spark plugs should easily go the 28k which is the current service interval for spark plug replacement on the 1330 engines. I have seen the IX plugs go 50k in the 998 Rotax. And I believe that the V-Twin is harder on spark plugs than the 1330, and also more sensitive to spark plug issues than the 1330. I cannot prove this. But it appears to be so. I think this is due to the improved spark delivery system on the 1330 ACE motor.

I have said all of the above to say this. Since the 1330 motor came out I have been searching for, and now I have found an NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug with the identical specs as the OEM Laser Welded spark plug. I intend to offer this spark plug in my 1330 ACE motor replacement set. But I would very much like to have 2 or 3 of you try these out (since I do not own a 1330 model Spyder to try them myself).

If you qualify for this 'Test Pilot' position, I will ship the Iridium IX spark plug kit to you free of charge. The kit includes thermal paste and dielectric grease as well. Everything you need for the install except the time and effort.

Here is what I need from a perspective test pilot.
    1- You will need to install and be able and prepared to put some miles on them in fairly short order.
    2- Report your findings/impressions with the Iridium IX spark plugs.

It is important that these 2 conditions be met as I need to have feedback in a timely manner. I would like to hear back by the 2nd week of January at the latest. Sooner, of course, would be better. But I understand that with the holidays and weather concerns, it may not be the very best time of the year to get this accomplished.

On the 998 V-Twin motor the improvement from the Laser Welded to the Iridium IX is noticeable to most riders. I have no idea if this will be the case on the 1330 ACE 3 cylinder motor. Theoretically the IX should give a decent improvement. But I would like to find out from actual owners testing the product before I begin touting the IX over the Laser Welded for this application.

If you are interested please PM me here at Spyderlovers. Or, email me at fyredad@hotmail.com

Thanks and have a great Christmas!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-22-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Will be watching....

will be watching to see the outcome. Plugs have come a long way since we became distributors for Champion back in 1910 ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ron just send a set to SpyderAnn ………….. On Spark plugs - I have a 1330 RT from 2014 , it now has 42,606 mi., I am changing the plugs this winter..... But up until now I haven't had any indication ( performance wise ) that my plugs aren't OK ….. jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Send them. I’ll put them in for her. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

On my 1330 I replaced the OEM plugs at about 34k miles and didn't notice any real loss in performance, I just changed them because it was overdue according to the manual. However, once the old plugs were out I could see they were clearly eroded well worn. New plugs made a noticeable difference. Now, having written that, I would think what you're proposing sounds good and I'd be a willing tester, but it's not time for replacing the plugs and I don't want to do it if I don't have to, so I'll be interested in watching to see what you find. If it works, I'll be a customer (again) when it's time.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Iridium would be me choice. How or where do I get 3 of them? My next set for the Goldwing will either be iridium or RUTHENIUM HX by NGK.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    On my 1330 I replaced the OEM plugs at about 34k miles and didn't notice any real loss in performance, New plugs made a noticeable difference.
    I don't understand this. You seem to be contradicting yourself but I'm sure you are not.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I would love to be a test pilot as I am always looking for a little extra in the performance department - regardless of how much I have. However with the holidays and this dreaded wet weather, I am not sure that I am your ideal candidate. However I do have a question - in building a better mouse trap via delivering better spark, is there anything else in the ignition system that can upgraded?
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The Iridium IX is designed to deliver a stronger spark giving quicker starts, better throttle response and power.
    Marketing hype.

Which has even LESS credibility than most of the better mouse traps.

The components of a common spark plug can do nothing to make a "stronger spark".

You can't change the laws of physics.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Marketing hype.

Which has even LESS credibility than most of the better mouse traps.

The components of a common spark plug can do nothing to make a "stronger spark".

You can't change the laws of physics.
    If this were true. we would still be using the original spark plug invented by Edmond Berger in 1839. 179 years ago.

Or, we would still be using the original, copper core based spark plug that the 2008 original Spyder came from the factory with.

edmond-berger.jpg

Unfortunately, Mr Berger failed to patent his invention so someone else not only got credit for it. They made the money off of his hard work.

While I understand your point about physics. And agree that there have been many snake-oil spark plug creations over the years. It does not take away from the fact that a spark plug, properly engineered, can make a significant difference in how efficiently and reliably the fuel charge in the cylinder is ignited, and flame propagation created.

In short, a better spark plug can and will provide better performance and efficiency. Whether or not this particular experiment will prove beneficial is what we are attempting to discover.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-25-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It does not take away from the fact that a spark plug, properly engineered, can make a significant difference in how efficiently and reliably the fuel charge in the cylinder is ignited, and flame propagation created.
    Sure. But that is NOT accomplished by "making the spark hotter". That is just marketing hype.

And the other "improvements" likely depend on the design of the intake, valves and heads of the engine it is used in.

Except for making mis-fires less frequent maybe, the real design improvements over the years have been in reliability and longevity.

A spark is still just a spark and the amount if energy IN that spark is determined by the rest of the ignition system and not the plugs.

Spyder Garage

Im following.. but.. with a different perspective...my 1330 has been remapped (Stage I) which means more fuel and air..with an fuel injection cleaner treatment every 5000 miles...so I want to see my plugs at 30,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

The Iridium IX plugs for the 1330 ACE motor arrived today so I will be contacting those who volunteered for this Test Pilot project. Got family in for the weekend but it will be Monday before I can ship these out anyway.

I appreciate the help and I am looking forward to the reviews. The IX plugs have worked very well in the other Rotax/Spyder engines and I am hoping for the same with these.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I don't understand this. You seem to be contradicting yourself but I'm sure you are not.
    Yes I did, deliberately, if inarticulately. I didn't notice any performance drop off, however, with the new plugs in I realized there was a performance drop. It was just subtle and over time, so I didn't really notice it until the change was made.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Yes I did, deliberately, if inarticulately. I didn't notice any performance drop off, however, with the new plugs in I realized there was a performance drop. It was just subtle and over time, so I didn't really notice it until the change was made.
    Completely understandable and actually quite common with a number of replacement items. As stated by KX5062, the drop-off in performance/function is so gradual that you don't notice it. Then, when new or upgrade parts are installed, the improvement is such that indeed, a definite degradation had occurred in the old parts.

Spyder Garage

All right Sports Fans and Thrill Seekers Everywhere! I have finally gotten time to get this show on the road, so to speak. I am sending out the IX Spark Plugs to my designated (volunteer) Test Pilots today. I would like to have 1 more test pilot if I can get one. So, if you are interested, and you can put these in right away and ride them enough to form a knowledgeable opinion, please let me know.

If you have asked to be a Test Pilot and I have not contacted you let me know. It may be you got lost in the Holiday shuffle.

There is always some skepticism surrounding 'Upgrade' items. Especially when touted by a vendor. It is understandable and I share in this as well. But getting the facts (Good / Bad or Indifferent) is always interesting to me. And I know there are some of you out there that feel the same way. I love testing products against each other. So we'll see how this goes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So we'll see how this goes.
    Are you making any attempt to sort out cases where the plugs are really OLD.......and putting in anything new would cause a marked improvement ??

I think that is a big flaw in most user trials.

Spyder Garage

Are you making any attempt to sort out cases where the plugs are really OLD.......and putting in anything new would cause a marked improvement ??

I think that is a big flaw in most user trials.
    You make a good point, of course. This test is not going to be highly scientific. Some will be replacing older spark plugs. Some will be changing out lightly used spark plugs. The Iridium IX plugs have identical specs as the OEM as far as heat range and physical dimensions. It is the materials and construction differences that make them (theoretically and according to NGK) better than OEM.

In other Spyder applications the Iridium IX plugs have performed better, which is the entire reason NGK developed this spark plug. And NGK has also done their own testing (though not in the 1330 ACE motor, I'm sure).

I am hoping that these plugs will give some improvement in performance as they have in other applications. But I want to be sure there are no downsides before I offer them for sale. I will be extremely surprised if they do not work well.

Spyder Garage

Feedback is coming in from the Test Pilots on this Iridium IX Spark Plug project. Preliminary reports are very good. I must say I am not surprised. This mirrors the feedback we got with the Iridium IX Spark Plug upgrade program for the 998 V-Twin Rotax engine.

I am hoping those who are testing these spark plugs will post here on Spyderlovers.com as their word always carries credibility. But in any case. I will be offering these Iridium IX spark plugs in sets with the needed Thermal Paste and Dielectric Grease going forward.

I want to thank those willing to go to the time and effort to install, ride and give an honest, articulate opinion of the results. I couldn't do it without you. I have had great feedback (both positive and negative, when appropriate) with every product and prototype test pilot program I've tried. This really helps me to develop and offer products that work.

Shortly, I will need some test pilots for my Ryker Sway Bar upgrade project.

Spyder Garage

Feedback is coming in from the Test Pilots on this Iridium IX Spark Plug project. Preliminary reports are very good. I must say I am not surprised. This mirrors the feedback we got with the Iridium IX Spark Plug upgrade program for the 998 V-Twin Rotax engine.

I am hoping those who are testing these spark plugs will post here on Spyderlovers.com as their word always carries credibility. But in any case. I will be offering these Iridium IX spark plugs in sets with the needed Thermal Paste and Dielectric Grease going forward.

I want to thank those willing to go to the time and effort to install, ride and give an honest, articulate opinion of the results. I couldn't do it without you. I have had great feedback (both positive and negative, when appropriate) with every product and prototype test pilot program I've tried. This really helps me to develop and offer products that work.

Shortly, I will need some test pilots for my Ryker Sway Bar upgrade project.

I installed the new test sparks plugs on my bike and it seems I have more throttle response runs good I'll give it two thumbs up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with the needed Thermal Paste and Dielectric Grease going forward.
    What is the dielectric grease used for ??

Spyder Garage

What is the dielectric grease used for ??
    Dielectric Grease is applied to the inside of the rubber spark plug boot. This helps to seal out moisture, dirt and other contaminants. At the same time, it helps the boot to slide on over the spark plug and keeps if from welding (adhering) to the spark plug and from cracking/splitting from the high temperature environment that it lives in. Without Dielectric Grease your boots may stick to the spark plug when you try to remove them the next time you service the plugs. There is a chance that you will damage the boot while removing it if this happens.

Spyder Garage

Ron
    Does mountain moters or East Tennessee have a chassis dyno?
    If so an they will work with you this will give you great info &
    very positive results.

Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    Ron
    Does mountain moters or East Tennessee have a chassis dyno?
    If so an they will work with you this will give you great info &
    very positive results.

Dan
    They do not. And I do not have connections with anyone who does.

I do have a customer who tested the Iridium IX against the OEM spark plugs on his 998. He even went so far as to test quite a few gap settings. And he was able to get some impressive results when you consider it's just a spark plug change. He ended up with a .040 gap as being the best setting.