Spyder Garage

Default Are there any Back rests that fold forward or slip in/out readily?

Read a lot of reviews on backrests and I see that some fold forward to ease access to passenger seat. My question is- do any of them slide out of the slot and go back in with no tools ? I ask because my wife likes to get on the RT on the drivers seat and then scooch back. Thanx!

Spyder Garage

I have an ultimate seat with back rest and you do not need tools to pull backrest out. you can also adjust the backrest with your fingers. The drivers rest folds forward as well.
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

The OEM adjustable backrest on my 2018 RTL is locked into the seat to prevent theft, but a flip of the under-seat clip frees it for removal. It folds forward to aid in mounting the bike, and uses an Hex wrench to adjust the angle for comfort.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

What h0gr1der said. I have the OEM backrest and love it

Spyder Garage

Just so I'm clear,the oem rest,once released,would go back in and stay there without the clip? Be hard to raise the seat with her on it!

Spyder Garage

I also have an 18 rtl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Just so I'm clear,the oem rest,once released,would go back in and stay there without the clip? Be hard to raise the seat with her on it!
    Not sure what you're asking here, but the seat backrest works this way. Installed, it folds forward to ease passenger mount or dismount. Also, you can remove and easily reinstall the backrest by opening the seat, pushing the retention clip to the side, and pulling the backrest up and out of the socket (first time is hard, you have to pull in an Upward/forward direction). Some folks remove the backrest and throw it in the frunk when riding double. It locks in place every time when installed. Does that clear it up?
    Last edited by h0gr1der; 06-10-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: omission
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    The OEM adjustable backrest on my 2018 RTL is locked into the seat to prevent theft, but a flip of the under-seat clip frees it for removal. It folds forward to aid in mounting the bike, and uses an Hex wrench to adjust the angle for comfort.
    "to prevent theft of a backrest"?? That's a new one for me. I didn't know that backrest get stolen. I have the Ultimate seat with backrest. It push and pull out really easy. It folds forward and can adjust the angle by hand. No tools needed. And the best part is that you can fill the tank without asking the wife to dismount (which by itself is a win/win situation)
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    "to prevent theft of a backrest"?? That's a new one for me. I didn't know that backrest get stolen. I have the Ultimate seat with backrest. It push and pull out really easy. It folds forward and can adjust the angle by hand. No tools needed. And the best part is that you can fill the tank without asking the wife to dismount (which by itself is a win/win situation)
    You be surprised what folks will walk off with. If your truck has a backup camera in the tailgate you better lock it when leaving it alone. The world isn't what it used to be. I had Misty Mountain make my driver backrest sheepskin so the straps are locked under the driver backrest, you guessed it, to keep idle hands from doing the devils work.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

The wife is a bit,um,vertically challenged at 4'10" and gets on the drivers seat first then scoots back. Removing the backrest and stowing it when 2 up sounds like the answer! Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    The wife is a bit,um,vertically challenged at 4'10" and gets on the drivers seat first then scoots back. Removing the backrest and stowing it when 2 up sounds like the answer! Thanks!
    If your wife is unable to climb over the backrest to get off the bike, then Woods suggestion is the best advice; at least when using the OEM seat and backrest.

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RTS came with the Can Am back rest. I took it off to ride 2 up, now can't seem to get it back in. So I tossed it into the garage. Kind of annoying really.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I found the key to the OEM backrest was to angle the 2 mounting prongs toward the back while inserting the backrest into the seat. First couple of times it was hard, then eased up. Mine limbered up and now is pretty easy to use, getting it on and off. Hard part is reaching under and finding the latch while trying to pull the backrest.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I'm 5'3" and just added the OEM backrest. I really needed to adjust it forward. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydermom View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm 5'3" and just added the OEM backrest. I really needed to adjust it forward. Thanks again.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Another old thread from the archives. This one goes back to 6/2019.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red