Spyder Garage

Default brake failure light again 6 months later 2008 SM5

Hey everyone-

Six months ago, I had this issue, ended up bleeding the brakes and it went away.

I park the ol' spyder in the summer because it gets too hot to ride here in the desert but the weather is starting to get nice again, so took her out for a ride last week and that silly light came on again and I was getting the C1282 code.

I checked the fluid levels and the floats both are okay.

I was able to clear the code, but the light is still on.

Could I need to bleed the brakes again? They seem to be working fine.

Any other ideas?

Your help here is always appreciated

Thanks Jeff
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Did you remove the key and give the spyder time for the computer reset...? If not start her up let her run a few minutes shut her down and remove the key. Have a beer/cup of coffee then return and restart. Remember that that light comes on for many reasons...burned out bulbs, ryding with foot on the brake pedal, sticking or bad brake light switch, warn pads etc. Others have suggested disconnecting the battery for a bit as well though I have always been able to do it with the computer reset....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Jeff. So, did Gene's suggestion work? What do you mean when you said that the floats are OK, regarding the fluid level. You're going to want the tops of the floats to be a bit higher than that outer plastic ring that surrounds them. Is that what you have?

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

No go so far with the run her for a bit and the key removal
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hey Jeff. So, did Gene's suggestion work? What do you mean when you said that the floats are OK, regarding the fluid level. You're going to want the tops of the floats to be a bit higher than that outer plastic ring that surrounds them. Is that what you have?
    Yes Sir...that how the floats are looking
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

I read somewhere someone disconnected the electrical connector to the parking brake and reconnected and it took care of the problem for them. My parking brake has never worked correctly, so maybe it is something to do with that.
    Or maybe some bubbles in the brake line?
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye342 View Post
    I read somewhere someone disconnected the electrical connector to the parking brake and reconnected and it took care of the problem for them. My parking brake has never worked correctly, so maybe it is something to do with that.
    Or maybe some bubbles in the brake line?
    It could be air in the braking line... if you ride "hard" and you are constantly on the brakes and you also are in a very hot area, then getting the brake fluid to boil is quite easy.
    Maybe upgrade the brake fluid to a higher grade? Something like a MOTUL RBF 600 (I personally used this on most of my cars when I was going at the track - boiling point is somewhere around 325C).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrNewt View Post
    It could be air in the braking line... if you ride "hard" and you are constantly on the brakes and you also are in a very hot area, then getting the brake fluid to boil is quite easy.
    Maybe upgrade the brake fluid to a higher grade? Something like a MOTUL RBF 600 (I personally used this on most of my cars when I was going at the track - boiling point is somewhere around 325C).
    Well I am a big guy with a lot of weight to stop and I like to accelerate hard, so I probably brake hard too, so I will give it a shot this weekend
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Bleed the brakes again. I had a lot of Pentosin DOT 4 LV left over from when I did the brake bleed back in March, so I used it again...did the LPS reset and the brake failure light went out. Pedal is very solid now too
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye342 View Post
    Bleed the brakes again. I had a lot of Pentosin DOT 4 LV left over from when I did the brake bleed back in March, so I used it again...did the LPS reset and the brake failure light went out. Pedal is very solid now too
    By left over you mean opened or unopened containers?

I hope unopened. Glad to hear your brakes are normal again though! .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrNewt View Post
    By left over you mean opened or unopened containers?

I hope unopened. Glad to hear your brakes are normal again though! .
    Yes sir...new unused containers
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 Gs. My brake failure message started a few weeks ago. I checked the pads and flushed the fluid. I cannot get it to go off.
    I tried the sequence: Turn key off for at least 30 seconds. Turn key on. Wait for the screen to finish booting up. Press the brake pedal hard enough to activate the low pressure switch. If you have good hearing it will be the 2nd click. While holding the brake pedal down. Turn the ignition key off and wait 30 seconds. Release the brake pedal.
    Is there anything else I can do to clear it?

Spyder Garage

Do you have a good solid brake pedal after the brake bleed? completely full on the brake fluid? No air in the line? maybe a parking brake switch issue? Do you have any codes coming up still?
    2008 GS SM5 , Yellow