Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Holding the switch down for a second or so seems to help...but it is not foolproof. The signal cancels on switch release.
    Thanks Scotty that seems to be working for me. I've had trouble with the canceling function since the beginning but holding the switch down for a second seems to be much more effective.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

same problem; 2010 RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Open Request To BRP

BRP Representatives:

Please improve the turn signal switch on previous and existing models of RTs. There needs to be better "feedback" on activation and canceling the turn signal.

I agree with others that canceling the turn signal often leads to activation of the opposite signal and confusing ryders and drivers behind us (safety issue).

Thanks,

David
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

i really feel better thought i was too much a newbe that i was hitting it wrong
    and ya 2011 rts same trouble

Spyder Garage

There is obviously something c&n about the whole switch block.
    As well as the indicator switch being a dud, my down switch in the mode block refuses to cooperate most of the time.
    It is extremely difficult to reset my trip meter (ie delete/erase) although it doesn't seem to be a problem if i want to mute the radio.....go figure!!!??
    It's just a little thing but it irritates people no end.
    Trying to save a buck in the manufacturing business usually ends up costing ten times more in the long run, recall, replacement, labor, etc
    You'd think they would have worked that out by now.
    cheers
    Pete
    2011 RTS SE5 Vyper Red, high led brake light, cb/gps/headsets

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vyperyder View Post
    There is obviously something c&n about the whole switch block.
    As well as the indicator switch being a dud, my down switch in the mode block refuses to cooperate most of the time.
    It is extremely difficult to reset my trip meter (ie delete/erase) although it doesn't seem to be a problem if i want to mute the radio.....go figure!!!??
    It's just a little thing but it irritates people no end.
    Trying to save a buck in the manufacturing business usually ends up costing ten times more in the long run, recall, replacement, labor, etc
    You'd think they would have worked that out by now.
    cheers
    Pete
    The reset issue on the trip meter appears to be a programming issue. Hit the "Down" twice to zero, if you have problems. Both my RTs have required this.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty,
    Doesn't seem to matter what problem you have with the world there is ALWAYS a work around....
    cheers
    Pete

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Since I just installed a Stebel, I m always scaring myself(and others) trying to cancel the turnsignal!So when I hear the horn, I know my signal is still not canceled.

not to mention the smooth move of attempting to accelerate with the cruise,finger slipping off and mistakenly hitting the killswitch doing 70 mph..

I guess I should go back to Spyder ryding school.

B.O.T..our RT's switch/canceler works fine so far.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    Since I just installed a Stebel, I m always scaring myself(and others) trying to cancel the turnsignal!So when I hear the horn, I know my signal is still not canceled.

not to mention the smooth move of attempting to accelerate with the cruise,finger slipping off and mistakenly hitting the killswitch doing 70 mph..

I guess I should go back to Spyder ryding school.

B.O.T..our RT's switch/canceler works fine so far.
    Been there, done both. I hope you feel better knowing you are not alone.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for the input into the RT ShopTalk, but why BRP did not take the old and prove fully functional RS turn signal switch and install-it on the RT?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So in riding this weekend I tried pushing and holding the turn signal switch to cancel. It seems to work much better by holding it in for 1 or 2 seconds. Then as stated prior, on release it cancels. But there is a bug, are you listening BRP...you should be, if you have turned on your right signal, when you push/hold the switch in to cancel , the left signal will come on till you release it. But at least everyhting is off at this point and no more back and forth trying to get it to cancel. Now if BRP is listening, this is repeatiable everytime, so therefore should be very easy to fix...seems like a program bug. BRP...go get on one of your bikes, turn the right signal on, and then press and hold the button to cancel and watch the left turn signal come on. Please fix this......

Duane

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine too!!!!!

Hopefully there will be a recall on this. I did notice at the dealer that the RS has a different kind of switch that clicks when you press to cancel.
    Last edited by Questions; 06-20-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default turn signals

My turn signals work on complete turns, they go off auto like they should.

When i have to cancel they cancel if i push straight in, and i mean straight in. A little bit off sends the opposite signal on. So, it works, but it shouldnt be that hard to do. JM 2C
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    My turn signals work on complete turns, they go off auto like they should.

When i have to cancel they cancel if i push straight in, and i mean straight in. A little bit off sends the opposite signal on. So, it works, but it shouldnt be that hard to do. JM 2C
    Same for me on my 2011 RT Limited.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Ditto, and that is with the new one installed.

Spyder Garage

I am on my second 2010 RT-S and have the same problem with the switch not working on left turns. I beleive this could result in someone being rear ended if they are unaware of the problem. Self cancelling is the answer once they do come on. BRP have been good at fixing other problems and I have faith that this to will be fixed in good time. Patience everyone!!!!!
    Danny

2010 RT-S PE103 replacement
    Life maybe short, but death is longer. One day at a time.

Spyder Garage

If it is JUST a programming issue, maybe they could program it to flash 3 times with a light press to change lanes (like my car does) and corner turn with a press and hold.
    As it is now I will not use it to change lanes as it is too dangerous with the flip/flop it does.
    Hope they sort it out soon
    cheers
    Pete

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DeeKay53 View Post
    I am on my second 2010 RT-S and have the same problem with the switch not working on left turns. I beleive this could result in someone being rear ended if they are unaware of the problem. Self cancelling is the answer once they do come on. BRP have been good at fixing other problems and I have faith that this to will be fixed in good time. Patience everyone!!!!!
    IF you switch doesnt activate when you push left... then its defective. ours was the same way. it would activate I think Right but not LEFT easily. got it replaced and now both LEFT and RIGHT work the same. but cancelling is usually a double push quickly to cancel
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

Question

reviving thread... is there a new updated turnsignal switch that is installed in the later model 2011 RTs? if so does anyone know if it can be retrofit to the 2010 model?
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    reviving thread... is there a new updated turnsignal switch that is installed in the later model 2011 RTs? if so does anyone know if it can be retrofit to the 2010 model?
    I am not convinced of any "improvement" to the 2011s. My 2011 is worse than my 2010 was.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Late 2011's Have Same Turn Signal Issue: Fix them BRP

Mine was built in May and has been "turn right, attempt to cancel, left comes on, punch again, it goes off". Repeatable situation. If you very, very, carefully push absolutely STRAIGHT IN while sitting still, it will cancel...but who the heck can do this while moving? The button is just extremely sensitive and this is not the way it should be.

For cripes sake, turn sig buttons on millions of bikes, since back in the 60's have functioned well. My 79 Yamaha 750 Triple had perfect self canceling sigs; they'd work continously while sitting at a light, self cancel at about 200 feet.

I got a beef with the 30 second cancel too; too da* long. Reprogram to 20 seconds please.

Ain't much I don't like about these critters, but this issue and the stupid instruction to read the safety card aggravates me.

Spyder Garage

Me Three !!
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default turn signals

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I had always thought that the issue was the shape of the switch not something functional. I don't have as much of an issue anymore with turning the signals off but I do still find that quite often I think I have turned on the left signal and it isn't on. The switch on the RS is definitely easier to use.

I wish that the lights on the display were larger ie the turn signals, bright light and most of all the low fuel light indicator.
    I too had trouble seeing the indicator for the signals, myself and two others bought LED's shaped in a vee and mounted them to the mirrors fit nicely work great and also more visable two vehicles behind. As to canceling signals we also have a problem that BRP should fix, but what we did find is if you press straight in on the switch they will cancel correctly, but you really have to push it straight in

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Demand a Recall

The left turn switch issue is a SAFETY ISSUE. We should approach it as such and demand a fixed recall of the signal housing. Enough people are experiencing the same issue.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2010 RTs SE5 had the left cluster replaced as the cluster was loose from the factory and the dealer's techs could not tighten it, the Techs told me that it was about a 2hr job. For me the learning and practicing to cancel the signal switch helped alot as now I can usually cancel the signal first time. I guess practice does make perfect

I also find that the green signal dash light is not very bright like some other brands of two wheelers. I have to look very hard to see the light but now I automatically look to see the green light on the dash
    Last edited by Marker; 09-04-2011 at 01:48 PM.