Thread: Shock Spring

Spyder Garage

Default Shock Spring

To eliminate the air bag on an RT, how would one figure the proper spring rate to just utilize a shock only, probably an Elka. I am sure you would deduct the wheel and swingarm assb. weight since it is unsprung wt. Would likely set up for two up riding most of the time. Any formula for this out there ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talk to Marcus at M2.. Just installed one of his rear shocks/front shocks and there was a few things to factor in,weight,two up riding,How spirited you ride and anything else you want to add etc.

My first few rides on the new Rear shock and the compressor has not kicked on at all. Its all been the rear shock doing its job.

Dont feel I need the compressor or air bag but left it there just in case.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't knock the Air Bag ….. it gives you the Option of how Firm you want your ride to be ….. Getting a shock / spring set-up for say 400 to 425 lbs. is fine while you are carrying that weight ….. But not so much when it only has 225 lbs., on it and you CAN"T change it ….. just sayin … Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Talk to Marcus at M2.. Just installed one of his rear shocks/front shocks and there was a few things to factor in,weight,two up riding,How spirited you ride and anything else you want to add etc.

My first few rides on the new Rear shock and the compressor has not kicked on at all. Its all been the rear shock doing its job.

Dont feel I need the compressor or air bag but left it there just in case.
    If you care to help the original poster, try reading the spring rate off the spring and sharing that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If you care to help the original poster, try reading the spring rate off the spring and sharing that.
    Please tell me how but felt was helping by telling him to talk to Marcus as he seems to know shocks very wellp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I wouldn't knock the Air Bag ….. it gives you the Option of how Firm you want your ride to be ….. Getting a shock / spring set-up for say 400 to 425 lbs. is fine while you are carrying that weight ….. But not so much when it only has 225 lbs., on it and you CAN"T change it ….. just sayin … Mike
    Seems to work well so far for me. And the air bag is still there IF. Needed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Please tell me how but felt was helping by telling him to talk to Marcus as he seems to know shocks very wellp
    Unless Marcus removed the info, the spring manufacturer prints the rate on the outside of the coil. A spring is a fraction the cost of a complete shock. Possibly a spring swap could help.