Spyder Garage

Arrow Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

I'm wanting to install a LED strip to the mirrors but only want them as signals only no running, I've tested trying to use them with the existing factory ones and that's not working. Question will I need to run power to the rear signals since I'm thinking they are 12 volts or is there somewhere closer to the front I can tap into?

Enjoy the holidays.
    Last edited by h100250; 12-06-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: ..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h100250 View Post
    I'm wanting to install a LED strip to the mirrors but only want them as signals only no running, I've tested trying to use them with the existing factory ones and that's not working. Question will I need to run power to the rear signals since I'm thinking they are 12 volts or is there somewhere closer to the front I can tap into?

Enjoy the holidays.
    All the ones I've seen are turn signals only. Plug 'n play pretty much. Try Tricled.com ?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

On my 2014 I just taped off the wires going into the mirrors. They only blinked when the turn signal blinked - no running light.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Try This....

Most just tap into the turnsignal wires (mind you positive to positive and negative to negative) and only work as turnsignals. If your OEM are both runing lights and turnsignal you have to find the wire for the turn signal side
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Turn Signal Lights

I have done all four of out RTLs and it only takes about an hour if you have everything ready . I splice into the existing wires and make sure i solder them and use heat shrink covers.
    Spyder Farkels and eagles 001.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 004.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 015.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I have done all four of out RTLs and it only takes about an hour if you have everything ready . I splice into the existing wires and make sure i solder them and use heat shrink covers.
    Spyder Farkels and eagles 001.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 004.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 015.jpg
    The impact wrench is probably for a different project, I think?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the holidays.
    What's not working ?
    Please understand, unlike incandescent lights, LEDs are circuits. You have to connect the wires correctly, + to + and - to -.
    The LEDs follow the 50/50/90 rule. If you have a 50/50 chance of connecting them right, you have a 90% chance of connecting them wrong.
    If the LEDs are connected and they don't work, just follow the advice of every Star Trek engineer from Scotty on forward and reverse the polarity.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 12-06-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've tested trying to use them with the existing factory ones and that's not working.
    There was a flaw in your testing somehow.
    If what you are trying to use draws too much current, it will mess up the operation of the signals.

TricLed has a set that bridge right onto the wires for the front turn signals.

Not technically 100% "plug and play" but the installation is fairly easy.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 12-06-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have plug and play. They are attached to the outer edge of the mirrors and go all the way from top outer corner to the bottom of the mirror. There is a notch in the bottom of the mirror frame that the wire fits in nicely without the need to drill any holes. They only function as turn signals. VERY visible from front, side, & rear. One of the very best safety features. And, unlike the weak dash turn indectors, I can see them when I forget to cancel my turn signals.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 12-09-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with those who have DIY'ed their mirrors with LED's ( Soldering and heat shrink tubing ) ….. If you really want to save money check out this seller ….BANGGOOD.COM ….. They have 3 and 6 LED mini strips in different colors and their Heat Shrink tubing is sold at BARGAIN prices compared to even Home Depot ….. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-07-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

1+ on Banggood.com
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The impact wrench is probably for a different project, I think?
    Actually that is a very small drill motor that has a matching impact driver. I used it to drill the tiny hole for the LED wires on the bottom edge of the mirror. I also had on the table the female adapters that I mounted on the tupper ware.
    Spyder Farkels and eagles 010.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 003.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I used a pair of cheap, yellow LEDs and used a set of connectors to create a y in the circuit. The feed from the bus splits and feeds both the mirror lights and my add on LEDs. If the add on LEDs ever require replacing (or a dealer gets snooty about add ins causing a problem) I can remove them from the circuit by unplugging them. Cost a bit more than Mikes solution above but it still works.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird