Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Loud whining sound at idle after a fairly short run

I have a Ryker 600 Ace with about 600 miles on it. It runs great!

However after the last couple of runs of only 10/15 miles I hear a high pitched whine when the engine is idling (don't think it was there before).

I think the sound remains but the sound of the engine is louder so don't hear it when moving.

Does this sound normal?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Silly question maybe, but is it the fan?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I must confess I am totally non mechanical - it could well be - maybe you are supposed to hear it - I really don't know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfann View Post
    I must confess I am totally non mechanical - it could well be - maybe you are supposed to hear it - I really don't know.
    Yea - temperatures down here are in the 90's so I guess if I start it cold in the morning and don't hear it that is probably what it is.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I know that when I leave mine idling for a while after a ride on a warm day the cooling fan kicks on and its kind of noisy if you're not expecting it. It stays on after you shut of the Ryker. Not sure if that's the noise you hear though.

Spyder Garage

I hear the same with my Rally. It is not the fan; that is a separate noise. What I hear is similar to the whine of fluorescent lights or a transformer. I have assumed it is the fuel pump or perhaps the magneto.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

if it is constant and not affected by the rpm's more than likely it is the fan thought should only run till the temp is back in check. Not familiar with the Ryker but most are that way....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've never heard mine come on yet.

Spyder Garage

I know that when I leave mine idling for a while after a ride on a warm day the cooling fan kicks on and its kind of noisy if you're not expecting it. It stays on after you shut of the Ryker. Not sure if that's the noise you hear though.
    As the noise stopped after engine shut off I don't think it is the fan.

The sound is similar to the one Tslepebull hears.

I started Ryker 600 up this morning - temps in the low 80's - and drove 30/40 mph for about 10 miles - no sound until towards the end when I started to hear it very faintly.

Trike running well so I am not too alarmed - will have it checked at 1,000 miles when I will have the oil changed.

I appreciate your responses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    I've never heard mine come on yet.
    You really to have your hearing checked then.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

General consensus is fuel pump whine. A lot of people (including myself) just started hearing it within the last few weeks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyuberalles View Post
    General consensus is fuel pump whine. A lot of people (including myself) just started hearing it within the last few weeks.
    Thanks - do I assume not an issue other than the whine?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfann View Post
    Thanks - do I assume not an issue other than the whine?
    The jury is still out. Some folks have been told by their dealers that it is normal, (which seems odd to me. If it was normal why would it suddenly start after 2 months).
    Other have gotten new fuel pumps.

For now, I'm waiting it out and will bring it up when I get my 3000 check-up if nothing get worse. Oh, I did just switch back to premium gasoline to see if that makes a difference.
    It's going to be raining on and off all week, so I probably won't get much riding to see if the gas makes any difference.

Spyder Garage

The jury is still out. Some folks have been told by their dealers that it is normal, (which seems odd to me. If it was normal why would it suddenly start after 2 months).

For now, I'm waiting it out and will bring it up when I get my 3000 check-up if nothing get worse. Oh, I did just switch back to premium gasoline to see if that makes a difference.
    It's going to be raining on and off all week, so I probably won't get much riding to see if the gas makes any difference.
    I am using premium gas.

Spyder Garage

If I were to guess, after a few miles and enough bouncing, the fuel pump could move or settle in and the sock or some part of the assembly may now be hitting the tank. That and/or they are just noticing it when the tank is running a bit on the empty side and acting like an echo chamber. It is right infront of you after all.

Spyder Garage

I just heard the whining today. It was hot--about 88 degrees in GA. I'd been riding about 25 minutes when I heard it at a stop light. I heard it at the last couple of lights and in my garage when I got home--the noise stopped immediately when I cut the power. Definitely not the fan--I heard the fan kick on at one of the lights. I'm guessing it's related to the high temperature and the fuel pump. I'm not worried about it but will keep an ear out. I've only ever put premium fuel in mine.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    I just heard the whining today. It was hot--about 88 degrees in GA. I'd been riding about 25 minutes when I heard it at a stop light. I heard it at the last couple of lights and in my garage when I got home--the noise stopped immediately when I cut the power. Definitely not the fan--I heard the fan kick on at one of the lights. I'm guessing it's related to the high temperature and the fuel pump. I'm not worried about it but will keep an ear out. I've only ever put premium fuel in mine.
    A few days ago I experienced this too. Seemed to be coming from the area of the gas tank. I only use premium gas too. I shut it down when I got home and then started it right back up and the sound returned. I shut it down and waited about 30 minutes and when I started it up the noise was gone. I probably had about 150 miles on the tank at the time, so I'm thinking it had something to do with tank pressure and venting. I filled up shortly after that and haven't heard the sound again. I'll see how it goes when it gets low on gas again.

Spyder Garage

I usually hear whining when I get home from a ride, it's my wife.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

now that was funny. cueman

Spyder Garage

She's a keeper though, why? I can't get her to leave.

Spyder Garage

I happened to be out in the garage one evening and heard a whine under the wife's late-model toyota. After a bunch of research I discovered that it's supposed to do that. The fuel injection pump cycles 4 hours after the engine is shut off, something to do with purging the evaporative emissions system?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

The fuel pumps in the RTL are noisy..... at least mine is. There have been many discussions about this on the forum. Some have had replacements done and some live with it as I do. Doesn't seem to have any effect on performance or longevity of the pump. Just irritating. Probably the same pumps used on the Ryker.....? Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    I usually hear whining when I get home from a ride, it's my wife.
    Oh your in for it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    A few days ago I experienced this too. Seemed to be coming from the area of the gas tank. I only use premium gas too. I shut it down when I got home and then started it right back up and the sound returned. I shut it down and waited about 30 minutes and when I started it up the noise was gone. I probably had about 150 miles on the tank at the time, so I'm thinking it had something to do with tank pressure and venting. I filled up shortly after that and haven't heard the sound again. I'll see how it goes when it gets low on gas again.
    I heard my Rally doing a vent type of noise at each idle yesterday. I think it has some thing to do with tank venting also. I describe it as a single tone whistle. Let’s get to the bottom of this. cueman