Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Continuing DESS Issue?

Hi, been reading ours an hours of threads regarding the DESS and key Error problems. Is this an issue still continuing? I have a 2014 spider and it appears these issues started then. Can I be comfortable buying a brand new spider that I will not have this issue?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by w6ada View Post
    Hi, been reading ours an hours of threads regarding the DESS and key Error problems. Is this an issue still continuing? I have a 2014 spider and it appears these issues started then. Can I be comfortable buying a brand new spider that I will not have this issue?
    From what I've read on the DESS issue, yes they started with the 14 model …. BRP changed them 3 times, trying to FIX it …. the last version seems to have worked ( for the most part ) …. however they still have failures at least thru 2017 model ….. as I told you in a PM , a few folks here have the BUDS program that will cancel / eliminate the DESS module..... I have not heard of a DEALER that will do it …… If your Spyder is out of warranty - the module costs around $ 135.00 ( cheapcycleparts.com ) and can be changed by most DIY'ers …. the module is located behind the frunk - bolted to the firewall just above the Battery …. it unplugs ( two ) …. As I told you ( in PM ) I then put mine under the right headlight ( the wires will reach that area ) and you will have instant access to the module and plugs...…. IF you have seen the " ORANGE " screen of death , your Module is now in failure mode and will eventually DIE, ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default New or used....

The new models sold should all have been updated. If you look into a used model always a good idea to have the dealer check the vin# and see if all updates have been made. We see very little here as of late but we only see those that post here and there are many more out there. I would not let this keep you from getting one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I believe they have it worked out, or I wouldn't have traded my 2014
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Yes well I am at the screen of death. I needed a post in order to be able to PM you. Personal message come in later today. Thanks for all your help

Spyder Garage

Default Wait ... what?!?

New to the Spyder community. What is this "DESS"? And what is this "Orange Death Screen". Mine is a 2015 RTL. What's all this about please.

Thanks in advance!
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    New to the Spyder community. What is this "DESS"? And what is this "Orange Death Screen". Mine is a 2015 RTL. What's all this about please.

Thanks in advance!
    Well there about 500 or so posts on this …. But read my post above #2, it tells you how to fix it , which is the most important thing ……. The DESS module is part of the BRP - KEY security system ….. If the module fails ( and they were having lots of them do so ) you won't be able to start your Spyder …. Generally , it gives a few / some …. SEMI- failures before it dies …. there is no cure other than module re-placement , If you have a warranty still in effect they will cover if not ( read above post #2 . )….. the Back History is this 10 thru 13 RT's had a different DESS module, then one of the BRP engineers decided it NEEDED fixing ….. well He/ She/ It broke the damn thing …. Now the DESS is a problem …. I hope they fired that SOB ……. good luck ……...PS if you get the " Orange screen of Death " ….. first move the spyder away from where you stopped ( if possible ) 20 ft should work ….. then turn the ignition switch ON - OFF 5X's in succession quickly, remove Key for about one minute, then try and start it ….. repeat as needed …. This worked for me when mine failed ( and nothing else I tried worked )

Spyder Garage

Huh ... the things I'm finding out about my new ride! Wow ... any other hidden gremlins I should know about before our week long trip at the end of June?!? We'd sure hate to get stranded for something simple to fix like moving the trike and turning the key 5x's.

Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Huh ... the things I'm finding out about my new ride! Wow ... any other hidden gremlins I should know about before our week long trip at the end of June?!? We'd sure hate to get stranded for something simple to fix like moving the trike and turning the key 5x's.

I think you misunderstood my message …… the move it and turn 5x's is NOT a FIX ….. It's a Band-Aid, just to get you somewhere else ….. Once you begin getting the DESS message , things only get worse.... It is a message that the module is going to FAIL completely at some point.....Take Heed ……………...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just drive and enjoy the Spyder. That's even if you get the DESS message.

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance!
    HI,

D.E.S.S stands for Digially encoded Security System.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE 6 and I have had the D.E.S.S module replaced 2 twice in 2015 ( under the warranty,) and the Switch( in 2015) replaced once( under warranty).

I also started a thread " D.E.S.S KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 8/13/2015 Replies 736 & 149,647 Views & 30 pages long. The thread has some very helpful info. Since I have had the D.E.S.S module , I have not had the D.E.S.S error show up. Also I have 24,900 miles on my spyder. On the "Thread" I posted pictures of the Orange Screen, when you get a chance take a look at the thread.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had my 2014 RT in the dealers shop 6 weeks last Summer. They said they could not duplicate the problem (DESS Error). Module has the "latest and greatest" installed. I've had 6 more DESS errors since I got the bike back. I just wait about 15 minutes - go back and it starts up. So not a big issue any more. Now I have a "Check Engine Light" that is on all the time plus the cooling fans starts when I start the bike (cold start) and cycles on/off as I ride. Bike is otherwise okay. I don't ride it much any more.
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    Had my 2014 RT in the dealers shop 6 weeks last Summer. They said they could not duplicate the problem (DESS Error). Module has the "latest and greatest" installed. I've had 6 more DESS errors since I got the bike back. I just wait about 15 minutes - go back and it starts up. So not a big issue any more. Now I have a "Check Engine Light" that is on all the time plus the cooling fans starts when I start the bike (cold start) and cycles on/off as I ride. Bike is otherwise okay. I don't ride it much any more.
    What is your D.E.S.S module part #?

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    What is your D.E.S.S module part #?

Deanna
    Don't remember now... But was told here on the Forum it was the latest model. Have not heard of any other module since then.
    Sorry - no help.
    don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

The current part number now being sold is 710004916. It shows it as a direct replacement for the prior 710004190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by w6ada View Post
    The current part number now being sold is 710004916. It shows it as a direct replacement for the prior 710004190
    w6ada, Thanks for the update on the current dess part #.
    Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Got a DESS error code yesterday, I was hoping never to see this
    Good thing is that the bike ( after a few choice words) started up again 10 seconds later. Will this be the start of a module failure ? I'm hoping not. But thanks to this thread I'm fully informed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Got a DESS error code yesterday, I was hoping never to see this
    Good thing is that the bike ( after a few choice words) started up again 10 seconds later. Will this be the start of a module failure ? I'm hoping not. But thanks to this thread I'm fully informed.
    I've posted quite a bit about this issue, including fixes ….. I see you have a 2015, if under warranty they WILL fix it. ….. Yes this was a warning, the DESS doesn't ever get better - it does get worse until it finally Fails completely..... that could be 5, 10, or 15 starts from now or the next time..... The latest START procedure ( If you have the Orange screen of death ) ….. is move the Spyder about 25 ft. away from where it is parked( if possible ) …. then turn key on - off 5 X's in succession quickly . Then try and start normally …. hopefully the screen has cleared …… If you have to buy the DESS module ( do not buy the Ignition switch - Yet ) CHEAPCYCLEPARTS.COM sells it for about $135.00 …… PM me and I'll help you re-place it …. I did this with " w6ada " …………….good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I often wonder why did they change the design of the DESS module in 2014? If it worked in 2013 and prior, why not just go back to those units? Remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Its not fixed. Have seen it on a 2018 (which we turned off). The 2014s were widespread, later bikes not so much but it still happens.

Have never seen this on a single 2013 or earlier.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I often wonder why did they change the design of the DESS module in 2014? If it worked in 2013 and prior, why not just go back to those units? Remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    The previous dess system is not the same as the 2014 on system. Currently the key code is held in the ECU and the dess unit is an intermediary, previously the key code was held in the dess unit. I've no idea why BRP changed it but, in my opinion it was less secure in the previous system. I looked carefully at the wiring diagrams for the previous system just in case I had a dess failure, I reckon I could bypass it with two connections. I'm guessing that BRP deliberately attempted to make the system more secure but mucked up electrically with the early (2014 >) units.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    The previous dess system is not the same as the 2014 on system. Currently the key code is held in the ECU and the dess unit is an intermediary, previously the key code was held in the dess unit. I've no idea why BRP changed it but, in my opinion it was less secure in the previous system. I looked carefully at the wiring diagrams for the previous system just in case I had a dess failure, I reckon I could bypass it with two connections. I'm guessing that BRP deliberately attempted to make the system more secure but mucked up electrically with the early (2014 >) units.
    I'm sure they had good intentions. On the other hand, I have never heard of someone stealing a Spyder by circumventing the DESS unit on the early machines.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Just for sake of discussion, they made it LESS secure as it can now be disabled via software without a valid key. This is why I keep telling folks the DESS only serves to keep legitimate owners from riding the bike. Does extremely little to prevent theft.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Just for sake of discussion, they made it LESS secure as it can now be disabled via software without a valid key. This is why I keep telling folks the DESS only serves to keep legitimate owners from riding the bike. Does extremely little to prevent theft.
    Mr. jcthrone,

Is the DESS able to be disabled via BUDS? The In Plain Sight key pretty much shows Spyders aren't swiped too often, so is it really as simple as that? Is this an option open via the dealers, I'm getting ready for my first service, so they may be able to head off this issue by a delete.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've posted quite a bit about this issue, including fixes ….. I see you have a 2015, if under warranty they WILL fix it. ….. Yes this was a warning, the DESS doesn't ever get better - it does get worse until it finally Fails completely..... that could be 5, 10, or 15 starts from now or the next time..... The latest START procedure ( If you have the Orange screen of death ) ….. is move the Spyder about 25 ft. away from where it is parked( if possible ) …. then turn key on - off 5 X's in succession quickly . Then try and start normally …. hopefully the screen has cleared …… If you have to buy the DESS module ( do not buy the Ignition switch - Yet ) CHEAPCYCLEPARTS.COM sells it for about $135.00 …… PM me and I'll help you re-place it …. I did this with " w6ada " …………….good luck ….. Mike
    Thanks for the info and very gracious offer Mike. If it gets to that I'll contact you.