Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not the case. A dealer near McCall, ID sells Ski-Doos and Can Am UTVs but is not a Spyder dealer. The biggest problem with small dealers is the requirement to buy a minimum number of Spyders in order to be a dealer, a number that is more than a small local market will absorb. If a dealer, like the one near McCall, doesn't think they can sell the minimum they won't take on the Spyder line.
    There are lots of Can-Am dealers that don't sell or service Spyders. They specialize in ATVs, snow machines, watercraft, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Non-Franchised shops sill never be allowed in the loop: the current Dealer network has too much invested, to allow that to happen.
    I don't know about competing with the company, but why not compete with a dealer on service? Many, if not most, Spyder dealers are also dealers of other brands. They maybe have one tech who's trained to work on them. But they do so much work on the other brands that when they have to work on a Spyder it's like starting all over. I'd think a dealer like that would like to unload the burden of Spyder service onto an indie shop.

For the indie shop, I think the main stumbling block, in addition to buying BUDS, is the cost of training to be certified.

BTW, I know of two indie shop guys who are factory trained and have the software. One's in Hot Springs. But I think he works under the auspices of a well known dealer. The other is Lamonster!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Dealerships have a huge investment in BRP... and BRP has a huge investment in them. Independent shops will always remain out of the "Official" loop.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For the record: I'm heart-attack serious about this.
    Dealerships will NEVER allow themselves to be put in the position of competing against the parent Company.
    They'll drop the line, and sell something else.

BRP would also not want to have to support a network of Dealerships for whom they are responsible. From a liability standpoint: it's dynamite!
    when brp actually HAS a dealer network, then maybe things will be good for the consumer. until then its a crapshoot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's what we have:
    Can it be a heckuva lot better? You betcha!
    Bringing independent shops into the loop won't be a solution.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's what we have:
    Can it be a heckuva lot better? You betcha!
    Bringing independent shops into the loop won't be a solution.
    it would help in getting a spyder to a qualified mechanic without hauling it 100+ miles. there is one brp dealer in the state of West Virginia that work on these things and they are 115 miles away in Mineral Wells WV. if any others have surfaced in the past year it would be news to me. Winder Pa is next nearest dealer. and they are still about 100 miles away. in areas where there are no dealers brp needs to contract with some of these indy shops for mechanical repairs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or perhaps BRP should try to grow it's dealer network...

Spyder Garage

I was thinking that maybe BRP could open service shops for Spyders and the dealers wouldn't have to do anything more than sell the spyder. The BRP service centers could focus only on the spyder and BRP could provide each service center with BUDS and fully trained Techs.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

EXACTLY! as I said before, the dealer that used to be local quit selling and servicing spyders. when they were quitting, the owner told me they would sell me one but would not service it. Lately I see Canam crates sitting there, which I expect are side by sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't you think they are already? This is an idea for how they could grow a Spyder dealer network independently of Can-Am dealers who don't want to carry / service Spyders.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default This is it folks.............

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    This subject has to be my biggest complaint about the Spyder, trying to find a dealer that is not only good at sales but even better at service and repairs. If the grim reaper were to come to the take the Spyder out of the market I believe it will be due to the lack of quality of care you get after the sale.

When you spend this kind of money, you kind of expect to be able to get good service. The dealer I bought my bike from was great when taking my money for the bike. I purchased parts and we agreed when they came in they would be installed, I called for two weeks trying to get an appointment to have parts installed, the manager would not even call me back after like 20 calls to him not getting a return call I emailed and got nothing, then I emailed from another account posing as if I wanted to buy a new bike and got a response in 5 min (amazing), I finally got the so called service guy on the phone, he told me he did not know what the shop hour rate was, and that it would take all day to install the entertainment harness but would have to get back to me because he would need to study the schematic. I finally just went and picked up my parts and installed them myself.

BRP calls for 1.5 to install the harness (not all day) I had never even taken a panel off the Spyder and did it in my garage in about 2.5 hours.
    This is a perfect example of what will either establish or destroy BRP's line of spyder products.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    it would help in getting a spyder to a qualified mechanic without hauling it 100+ miles. there is one brp dealer in the state of West Virginia that work on these things and they are 115 miles away in Mineral Wells WV. if any others have surfaced in the past year it would be news to me. Winder Pa is next nearest dealer. and they are still about 100 miles away. in areas where there are no dealers brp needs to contract with some of these indy shops for mechanical repairs.
    Out west here in places, it's a lot worse.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Out west here in places, it's a lot worse.
    I expect it is without a doubt. a long way to anywhere.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's what we have: Can it be a heckuva lot better? You betcha! Bringing independent shops into the loop won't be a solution.
    You must know something about business that I don't Bob. Anything is possible. Can-Am will be looking into all kinds of options to develop the Spyder brand network of dealers.

Honda allows independent shops to carry and service their motorcycle without requiring them to also carry lawnmowers, generators, etc. Can-Am will probably take a page from Honda's very successful playbook at some point, then everyone will benefit.

We had a local Honda franchise that only wanted to carry motorcycles, but were required by their Honda franchise to sell and service their entire line of consumer products; they only lasted 4 years and then went belly-up.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have contacted BRP in the past about being trained as a factory tech. They will not do it unless you work for a dealership. There is too much money in service for them to allow independent shops to compete. Think about it, at $60-$80 an hour it is huge profit for them.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I have contacted BRP in the past about being trained as a factory tech. They will not do it unless you work for a dealership. There is too much money in service for them to allow independent shops to compete. Think about it, at $60-$80 an hour it is huge profit for them.

Just sayin'............
    The problem is they get $60-$80/hour even to do it poorly!

If they want that business so bad there should be some standard about the number of hours per month they actually devote to Spyders. If they can't do that they should let someone else do it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP has taken a "laissez-faire" approach to the quality of their dealership network.
    They DO need to start insisting on some performance standards.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default That's it

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    The problem is they get $60-$80/hour even to do it poorly!

If they want that business so bad there should be some standard about the number of hours per month they actually devote to Spyders. If they can't do that they should let someone else do it.
    I'm movin to Kansas! They get $120.00/hour out here in California!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$65 per hour at my dealer; and they know their stuff!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Well, come on over! Just don't bring all the la-la-land stuff with you!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

What burns my butt are the dealers that stop selling the spyder and/or no longer service them or just close up shop. So where do their techs go? Also the bikes that they have sold in their area end up not having a dealer anymore that will service the product. I still think that BRP has an obligation to ensure that there are techs available within the regions they have sold spyders, hence my saying in earlier posts that the separate service center (owned by BRP) is in place to maintain the bikes. I mean it's not like the service center won't be kept busy.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Well, come on over! Just don't bring all the la-la-land stuff with you!
    That is why I'm leaving California. Born and raised here, but now that I'm retired. I'm selling the house, and moving the heck otta here
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

: Welcome back!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    My first ever trip to the dealer last week was $100 for everything but the Spyder which was $125. Don't know enough to argue so just paid.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

BRP has taken a "laissez-faire" approach to the quality of their dealership network.
    They DO need to start insisting on some performance standards.
    So how does BRP come up with their "Silver", "Gold", and "Platinum" Service Center levels on the locations on their website....by how many Spyder's the associated Dealer sells?

I did notice than when checking prices for the 3,000 Initial Service, that the price of that service directly corresponded with the "level" that the Service Center/Dealer had obtained....with Platinum being the highest price and Silver the lowest price. Go figure huh....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For the most part: Sales...