Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Moving my Spyder in an emergency?

Can a CanAm Spyder be towed if it stops running in a remote area?
    I drive an Stse5 Limited and my woman-riding companion rides an F3. We ride extensively in the remote back roads of Me, NH, VT and Canada. Often where cell tel signals are non-existent. If one of the Spyders stops running can we tow it with the other Spyder to where we can get help? Both Spyders are usually filled with personal belongings needed for multi-day travel. We would not want to abandon one Spyder and many personal goods on the road-side while we ride two-up seeking help.

Can a tow line be used to pull the trike to a location where we could get help? I would like to thing that CanAm’s, that roll easily, could be rigged with a nylon line with a bridal and carefully towed by the running Spyder. It appears that the brakes would work on the Spyder that is shut down. Your comments please.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

First option would be for the running vehicle to ryde till cell service is available and call for a tow.... You can tow your spyder though not recommended and the hook up points are not great. You could add a "D" ring attached to the frame at the cross member and safely tow it from there. The next is how far would you have to go towing and the terrain... Hills to climb, rough roads, heavy traffic etc. Not recommended but doable...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The biggest issue at the beginning is , you need to get the Spyder into NEUTRAL . You cannot tow it otherwise … There is a way to get it into ...without the motor running ( but someone else ) here will have to tell you how …. Adding tow RINGS to something other than the front suspension would be best …. The other Spyder MUST have a HITCH …. DennisKirk .com sells tow device for Snowmobiles that would work great..... I would ONLY tow the minimum distance needed ………. Prepare now if you think this might occur ….. I hope it doesn't ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments. I'll have to practice.

Spyder Garage

I would appreciate knowing how to get into Neutral if necessary. We travel about 15,000 miles each year and so far no roadside breakdowns. But it is a concern. Thanks

Spyder Garage

You do not need to get it into neutral for a short tow. Without the engine running the clutch is not engaged. So it will roll fairley free. But for a long tow, yes put it in neutral. There is a shaft on the left side where the shift lever connects to on a SM model. Should be able to shift it from there with a vice grips.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or one person could go call for a tow and return to the other person.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Around here all the tow trucks use a flatbed. They hook on and pull the vehicle up onto the flatbed. As billybovine said, moving them a short distance (like up onto a flatbed) shouldn't hurt the Spyder. I would be more worried about whether the nose of the Spyder hits the flatbed but probably they would lift it up with the tow hook in order to get it on the flatbed -- otherwise that would be a problem with every car as well.
    2017 RTS , Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I would definitely want it to be in neutral if I was going to try to pull it somewhere. Jack up the rear and try to roll the rear wheel with it in gear and feel the resistance, then put it in neutral and do the same. There is quite a bit of resistance when it is in gear.

Wasn’t the procedure to get it in neutral in the Owners Manual?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If I ABSOLUTELY Positively had to tow it,I would cut the belt. Whats another 300 bucks when you stand to lose even more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would find another solution
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I bought the shift lever and bolt for a SM6 for the same year as my SE6, for just this possibility and I have a long handle Vice Grip.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Around here all the tow trucks use a flatbed. They hook on and pull the vehicle up onto the flatbed. As billybovine said, moving them a short distance (like up onto a flatbed) shouldn't hurt the Spyder. I would be more worried about whether the nose of the Spyder hits the flatbed but probably they would lift it up with the tow hook in order to get it on the flatbed -- otherwise that would be a problem with every car as well.
    Yes, but his question was towing it far enough to get cell service which I would not do with it in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I bought the shift lever and bolt for a SM6 for the same year as my SE6, for just this possibility and I have a long handle Vice Grip.
    You must have been a Boy Scout!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have not really investigated the Spyder transmission but I can tell you I have ripped a lot of snowmobiles apart. 2 stroke and 4 stroke. The best way to tow a broken down sled is to remove the belt from the secondary. This will allow the track to spin free with no resistance. If you fry a piston you don't want the primary moving or you are going to rip apart the jugs etc. I have to investigate how the belt works on the back wheel of the Spyder. I would also goto your dealer and have him explain the little back fuse box behind your cover in the front trunk. There are some things in your fuse box that might help putting it in nuetrol but I won't expand on that. Your dealer tech can explain. I would use two rackets around each front wheel section and back to one on the back of the Spyder. ( Make a Y) That would be the only safe way to tow. You'd bet be ready to go slow. Above 15 you can kill the guy behind you. Roll, start to sway and your both dead or recked.
    Here are a couple questions? What are you going to hook up on the back of the Spyder? You will need hitches on "both" for you don't know which one breaks down. I ride snowmobiles exclusively in no cell zones. I have gone without cell coverage for "days" some 80 miles from the closes town. How far really are you from cell coverage- 2 hours at tops? Here is a recommendation in this matter. For $50 a month get a SAT phone. Activate it for the primary time you are worried about it. We are all GPS chipped when riding boon docking or in the mountains. One guy always has a sat phone. You only need one. We have used it once and glad we had it. If not leave the Spyder and ride till you get reception. The amount of money and damage you might cause will never catch up to even 4 hours. There is no where in the USA that you can't get cell within 2 hours. Thats nothing as in the time, parts, damage and costs of a 2 hour drive. Be Safe, The SAT phone is my solution. $400 investment and $50 activation a month when wanted. Way cheaper than 1 hitch alone.

You live In Massachusetts, I have been in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine and can get reception within an hour even in the mountains. I go out west and run the Tetons and into Montana and again cell coverage in at least 2 hours. You can run the entire bear tooth pass in 2 hours if needed to get reception. I also suggest getting a trakphone both at&t and Verizon. Our trak phones get reception anywhere for they can use any tower. I have a simple old flip phone and get better reception than most smartphones when in the mountains.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments. A simple method to tow the disabled Spyder seems to have become very complicated. It may be that I should plan my travels around cell Tel reception maps.

Spyder Garage

I can't help you with 'How to tow a disabled spyder, but offer you some advice on Cell phone coverage in Vermont, I have a Trac phone (smart phone) and I have cell phone coverage. I also carry my cellphone with me on my spyder.

Also, check your motorcycle insurance policy to see if you have towing on your policy. When you find an area that has cell phone coverage, call your motorcycle insurance company they could help you with towing the "disabled spyder". Example: I have GEICO and I have "towing" on my motorcycle policy. I have a 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't there an informal network of Spyder owners willing to help fellow ryders who have broken down in their vicinity?

I remember reading something about this a few years back but don't remember the details.

I'd be willing to rescue a Spyder with my drop tail trailer if needed.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yes, but his question was towing it far enough to get cell service which I would not do with it in gear.

You must have been a Boy Scout!
    Yes I was a Boy Scout, but the main reason is that "Murphy" and I are quite close.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Isn't there an informal network of Spyder owners willing to help fellow ryders who have broken down in their vicinity?

I remember reading something about this a few years back but don't remember the details.

On the Spyderlovers home page. On the upper left. There is a link to Spyders to the rescue. You can join there.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    On the Spyderlovers home page. On the upper left. There is a link to Spyders to the rescue. You can join there.
    http://gnipsel.com/spyder/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

Yes, there was, I remember the same thing. I don't recall the name of the Group.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

slightly off topic but --with my 17 F3T SE, neutral gear is achieved how?-- when i just want to roll it a few feet in and out of my garage , (late at night without engine on/loud)--ive searched everywhere on here and can't locate anything--is it harmful to roll it rearward in First gear??

Spyder Garage

Not that I have ever actually done this............ but it could happen. My son told me I couldn't ride the Adirondack National Forest because there was no cell phone coverage in most of it. I told him I had been riding for 40 years all over the country before cell phones were ever invented. He says, "What you going to do if you break down way out in the forest where there is not much traffic." I told him I would build a real smoky fire side of the road and when the Forest Service came to arrest me, I would have them call a tow truck. I rode the forest without any problems. Sweating out the next place to find gas once, but made it to a fishing village that had a pump.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Not that I have ever actually done this............ but it could happen. My son told me I couldn't ride the Adirondack National Forest because there was no cell phone coverage in most of it. I told him I had been riding for 40 years all over the country before cell phones were ever invented. He says, "What you going to do if you break down way out in the forest where there is not much traffic." I told him I would build a real smoky fire side of the road and when the Forest Service came to arrest me, I would have them call a tow truck. I rode the forest without any problems. Sweating out the next place to find gas once, but made it to a fishing village that had a pump.
    deliverance.jpg

E

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    slightly off topic but --with my 17 F3T SE, neutral gear is achieved how?-- when i just want to roll it a few feet in and out of my garage , (late at night without engine on/loud)--ive searched everywhere on here and can't locate anything--is it harmful to roll it rearward in First gear??
    Rolling it forward is going to be pretty hard …… When you stop the Spyder , click it into Neutral ( green light ), DON'T activate the Brake …. then just shut it off. … It will BEEP for about 10 seconds, and then stop beeping ….. Nothing will be affected except it will roll More freely ….. Mike